Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Question A few problems

Companion Software:

1. I have multiple icons for this s/w in my system tray though i only installed it once and (of course) only have one shortcut in my Startup folder.

2. When connected the companion s/w tries to backup my iLiad, but gives an error message on copying.

3. Just now, i went to merge but had the following error message:
Quote:
Access violation at address 00403530 in module 'iLiad Companion Software.exe. Read of address 68746569.

Didn't have any problem last time i used merge.

4. And finally a how-to question: Can i merge more than one thing at a time, or do i have to step through the process for each separate document (which will be a huge nuisance if so).

AND... once these are sorted, i have further difficulties, some more significant than others.

Many thanx.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
1/ Do you always have the multiple icons or do they go back to one icon after a reboot and before you connect your iLiad to your PC via the USB cable?

2/ With the companion software, do you backup from iLiad to PC or PC to iLiad? I suggest you let the backup run and finish before you try working with your iLiad's files. I think you're working with your iLiad's internal files, so this shouldn't take very long.

3/ Are you trying to merge scribbles while the companion software is doing the back up?
You can close the companion software then connect your iLiad to your PC via the USB cable to work with its files. The backup will happen next time you connect via USB if you have the companion software running. I find it easier not to use the companion software and I manually do my own backups (copying and pasting multiple files between iLiad and PC is quick and easy).

4/ Are you talking about pdf scribble merging or backing up documents with the companion software?

mand, its not easy learning all the ins and outs with a new iLiad. You'll need to spend time reading instructions and using online help to use all the functionality.

Remember to take the time to relax, read and actually enjoy your new iLiad
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
mand
Zealot

Thanx, cbell! as i said in the other thread

1 - Even though i only had one shortcut in the Startup folder, i found there were two links on the Start menu (Startup submenu) itself. I've deleted all of them now and start the companion s/w manually after connecting the iLiad.

2 - backup... pc to iLiad. The s/w does this automatically, i haven't set any settings.

3 - Without being interrupted in any way, it still stalls. For example just now the log shows:
Quote:
iLiad is connected
<iLiad> Transfer files to iLiad started
Transfer files to iLiad completed
<iLiad> Backup of iLiad started

<iLiad> Error copying file "G:\books\Mobipocket\Concise_Dictionary_of_Middle_ English.mobi"
<iLiad> Backup of iLiad started

<iLiad> Error copying file "G:\books\Mobipocket\Concise_Dictionary_of_Middle_ English.mobi"
I have just wondered if this could be about space on the iLiad. I have had some files refuse to copy cos they are too big - fair enough - but also some say 'incorrect parameter' and i thought that could possibly be the same thing, with a different message for some reason.

i don't think anything else was going on in the background while i tried to merge. It worked the first time. I have just tried yet again - this time when i clicked on the folder containing the document (a subfolder i've made within 'books', named 'read+bin'), i have an error message that the folder read+bin is not accessible: I/O device error. Which reminds me i have been getting I/O device error other times, increasingly often. I've also been getting freezes, where first the iLiad goes r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w, then if i persist through that, everything hangs. Not every time.

When i open the comp.s/w, the system tray icon has an exclamation mark on it and hovering over it shows 'A problem has been detected with an iLiad'. This is why i got into the computer name etc settings, which i now know i don't need for this.

4 - this is pdf scribble merging: [my document + the notes i've made in the margin] = [one document that i can view on the pc].

I was surprised to find you need to be a bit techie for the iLiad - they don't warn you before you buy - but i'm enjoying the learning curve. (As well as reading and relaxing!:lol Glad i am a bit techie, at least enough to find MobileRead - which was by chance.

Sorry to be so muddly; usually i'm a very analytical thinker; perhaps feeling hurried, cos of that review i've said i'll do, set me off wrong.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
If you're using Mobipocket Reader on your computer to synch files with your iLiad at the same time as you're using Companion Software to synch files with your iLiad - I expect you'll get clashes. Do one at a time, if you're using both programs.

Think about whether you should backup from PC to iLiad or iLiad to PC. Which files should overwrite the others? You have the choice in the options setting of the companion software.

You load your trial of MyScript Notes on your computer, not on your iLiad (just like the scribble merger program).

mand, as you're not able to login to iRex with your MyiRex account details, I suggest you try this.

Go to the device manager on your iLiad and delete all the MyiRex account details you previously entered. Make sure your iLiad has plenty of charge and is fully started. Ensure your router is fully started. Then, connect the travel hub to your iLiad and a blue ethernet cable between your travel hub and your router.

Long press the @Connect button on the iLiad (if you don't do a long press you just get to the download history screen). Select to connect to iDS with your stylus when you get the choice to connect to iDS or computer. (iDS may already be selected. You get a few seconds to choose iDS if it isn't already selected. You may have to tap a few times with your stylus to change this option from computer to iDS.)

Your iLiad will try to connect to iDS to do a generic update (if successful, you'll see on-screen notifications that you're connecting, then connected. This will update your clock settings). It will be very clear from the iLiad's on-screen notifications if you've been successful.

Good luck!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
mand
Zealot

Hasty responses:

I'm not using Mobipocket Reader at the same time - in fact i have only just dipped into that, not really using it at all. (Looks like iTunes only less intuitive? the store reminds me of iTunes.)

Your thing about choosing backup direction made me look at the settings, but i can't see where to make that choice - though i'm sure i remember some such checkbox somewhere! I thought backup (iLiad->pc) would save a backup somewhere else, but should i understand that it overwrites files in the location i took them from originally? eg if i have a piece of work in My Documents, use the iLiad to make notes on it, then backup to pc, do i overwrite the document in My Documents? I have turned off automatic backup just now, until i know that.

MyScript Notes - aha, i get it. And i had a play with it last night; very impressed that it could read my handwriting (written before i knew the tips about straight lines, not crossing out, etc - and my handwriting would qualify me to study medicine) at least as well as a lot of scanners/ocr do with print. Woo.

I will save your instructions about MyiRex, for future in case i need it. But i misled you: i meant i can't log in to http://support.irexnet.com/ with my e address and password; therefore i can't open a ticket there. (Someone told me i should open a ticket for tech support, for this kind of question, but i can't.) And i know i'm not mistyping anything. - Oh, and i've tried to request a new password but it tells me my e address isn't in the database. I feel as if i don't exist to them. ;0)

Thanx again...

Last edited by mand; 03-08-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: forgot to say something

Tags
backup, companion software, error message, icons, merge