Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of Dan Brown's books
Five stars - the best of their kind 6 6.74%
Four Stars - good but not good enough to be five stars 19 21.35%
Three Stars - Average 26 29.21%
Two stars - Below average 11 12.36%
One star - Not good 5 5.62%
Zero - To line the bottom of a bird's cage with them wood be an insult to the bird 11 12.36%
The Blue one next to the Fish 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Dan Brown

What is your opinion of Dan Brown's books? I am reading his newly published book Inferno.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I really enjoyed "Deception Point" and "Angels & Demons", but I thought that "The Da Vinci Code" was the most overrated book I ever read. Having read "The Holy Blood & the Holy Grail" when I was younger, I thought that "The Da Vinci Code" was basically a ripoff, and the plot wasn't earthshatteringly controversial or even new to me.
I found "The Lost Symbol" difficult to finish, and I gave up on "Inferno" about a quarter of the way through. I doubt I'll bother with his next one at all.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I find it difficult to rate Dan Brown's books. If I don't take them seriously and don't think about it too hard I can enjoy them. They can be enjoyed by a wide range of people including people who typically don't like to read. If the goal is to make lots of money they are brilliant and I think many authors could learn from that. If the goal is to make a piece of literature they are a complete failure. They are like a 'Rocky' movie.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I am not sure how to rate because I was completely enthralled with the Da Vinci Code: I read it many years ago, didn't know what to expect, and I had never read anything like it so (to me) it was fresh and exciting. But since then, I have found his other books to range from ok to tedious. If someone can tell me that Inferno is better than The Lost Symbol, I would pick it up.

I haven't really found other authors who gave me the same kind of thrill that I got from reading the Da Vinci Code, either. I guess it was just the right book at the right time, for me.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think it's a lot like fast food. I don't like the idea of eating it and it's probably not good for me but sometimes it fills the need nicely.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Never read any Dan Brown.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I am not sure how to rate because I was completely enthralled with the Da Vinci Code: I read it many years ago, didn't know what to expect, and I had never read anything like it so (to me) it was fresh and exciting. But since then, I have found his other books to range from ok to tedious. If someone can tell me that Inferno is better than The Lost Symbol, I would pick it up.
I haven't really found other authors who gave me the same kind of thrill that I got from reading the Da Vinci Code, either. I guess it was just the right book at the right time, for me.
eP
I gave Lost Symbol 2 stars and Inferno 3 stars. I think you would find it more interesting too. My favorite of the series was Angels & Demons.

I hated Digital Fortress and gave it 1 star. I purchased Deception Point a few years ago and mean to read it someday.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow. Poll's all over the map so far.

Digital Fortress may have ruined me, because, being even a little knowledgeable in the field, it was hard to suspend disbelief with all the nonsense he was spewing.

I picked up up the DaVinci Code audiobook on sale a while back, so maybe I'll give him another try. Since I neither know nor care about any potential accuracy in bible codes, Knights Templar, free masons, etc, I may be able to better appreciate it.

Last edited by ApK; 01-14-2014 at 10:09 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
They are like a 'Rocky' movie.
Rocky was up for an Oscar for its screenplay, I seem to remember.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Rocky was up for an Oscar for its screenplay, I seem to remember.
Won "Best Picture", "Best Director" and "Best Film Editing" in 1976
But...

If I were to compare Dan Brown to a Rocky movie, I would say he'd be Rocky V.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 01-13-2014 at 12:12 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Never having read Dan Brown, I am unable to vote using the choices provided.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Won "Best Picture", "Best Director" and "Best Film Editing" in 1976
But...

If I were to compare Dan Brown to a Rocky movie, I would say he'd be Rocky V.
Hmm. Perhaps the "star" ratings in the poll have an inverse relationship to Rocky movies?

5 stars = Rocky 1
1 star = Rocky 5

BTW, the last movie, "Rocky Balboa" was also very good.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Hmm. I think his books are fun to read but they aren't great literature or anything. I'd say somewhere around 3 to 4. I'm not sure which I'd choose- maybe 3.5 I guess.

Some are better than others. Someone else mentioned Digital Fortress and I didn't like that one much and I don't have much technical knowledge at all. It just wasn't as much fun as the others.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
everlod
Compulsive reader
everlod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 international
I made my choice based on Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress. The first an amazing thriller and the last a total bad written absurd.
everlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I thought that "The Da Vinci Code" was the most overrated book I ever read.
This so much.
I did enjoy Angels and Demons - especially the little picture things where you could turn them all sorts of ways and they'd be the same in various directions.

I did make the mistake of reading The DaVinci Code right after it and they are basically the same book. (I don't mind some formulas, but I don't usually find it that obvious.)

I didn't vote because I've only read those two. I enjoyed the first one and could barely finish the second. (Massive amounts of skimming is the only reason I finished it.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote