Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #16
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There's a response there asking for details of the title(s?) causing problems so they can investigate...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #17
nxt67
nxt67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've responded to that message - Just to reitterate it's not a particular book or even vendor it seems to be the physical transfer of a DRM book that causes the problem.
nxt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Nice to see they're interested, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
There's a response there asking for details of the title(s?) causing problems so they can investigate...
Thanks for the heads-up.

I've sent them the details of the titles I've bought: 'One Red Paperclip' by Kyle MacDonald, 'Song of Kali' by Dan Simmons and 'Tales of Terror and Mystery' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. If the books have been badly encoded then I'm astonishingly unlucky in choosing three duffers out of three.

But it'd be interesting to know if these titles can cause a previously working Reader to crash. So if anyone is reading and has successfully downloaded DRMed content from the Waterstones store; you'd be doing us all a favour if you picked one of these three (the Conan Doyle is only 60p) and tried to read it on your PRS.

If it works, then it's something to do with individual Readers; if it crashes, it suggests either a flaw in the encoding of the books, or in the DRM software on the Reader.

Mike.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I'm having the same problem under XP - I'd skipped over this thread thinking it was Mac specific. I posted my issue under the thread you started at the ADE support site.

If I pull the card the Reader will eventually sort itself out - leaving it in causes a crash. One the circling arrows stop I can put in the card (which has NO DE content, btw) and it will chew on that for 15 minutes or so, like it's never seen it before and needs to index all the files, then stop. Everything will then work fine until I fiddle with a DE book from the desktop (either via ADE or the Sony software) then it's back to half-hour refresh cycles again until I reformat the memory card and reimport the books.

As I said this happens even with the DE content JUST in the Reader.

Very odd. I'm going to burn up an activation and try a hard reset on the Reader and see what happens. My DE content is all from the library and the problem seems to have all started when I downloaded my most recent two books. I was working fine before so perhaps it's related to an individual book...

Have either of you applied any hacks to your 505? I'm wondering if that might have some bearing on this?

Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 09-17-2008 at 06:25 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
I'm having the same problem under XP - I'd skipped over this thread thinking it was Mac specific. I posted my issue under the thread you started at the ADE support site.

Have either of you applied any hacks to your 505? I'm wondering if that might have some bearing on this?
Bob
Hi Bob, no hacks, mine is a UK version out of the box.

Quick question - are you in the UK as well? So far everyone reporting these symptoms has come from the UK. That might be significant for Adobe/Sony - perhaps they've changed something to adapt the machine to the right-hand bank of the Atlantic.

Mike.
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #21
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hi Mike:
Nope, I'm in the US and the DRM'ed books were from overdrive.com, via my local library. I guess your experience rules out the hacks and mine eliminates where they put the steering wheel

I just finished a hard reset of the Reader. I'm going to gingerly re-approach ADE and see what happens. I've tried putting all of my non-ADE content on a memory stick so I can put ADE volumes in the Reader. (I was going to try the first experiments with the memory stick removed while ADE is connected.)

Will advise if I have any luck. Hope the Adobe guys get this figured out.

UPDATE: Well that didn't work so well. After putting a SINGLE protected book in the internal memory the Reader began to re-index the (full) memory stick after any kind of interaction with ADE or the Sony software, or just hanging up. If I pulled the stick it would stop and I could get access to my lone ADE book in memory.

Next I put about 75 books in memory, including four more via ADE. Refreshes were slow after ADE, but back up to speed (about five or ten seconds) with the Sony Software.

So, my work-around seems to be not using any external memory, which is annoying. Potentially VERY annoying depending on how many books I can get in the internal memory without getting back to the freezing/rebooting tar pit. I really liked having my entire elibrary with me (about 200 books) so I could pick and choose on travel rather than having to do a digital equivalent of "what books should I pack". Bleech!

Interested to hear if this approach (not using any external memory) works for you. Note that I did a hard reset of the Reader as part of this, but I'm not sure if it was necessary (and it did burn up an ADE authorization).

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 09-17-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 AM   #22
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I really liked having my entire elibrary with me (about 200 books)
Try it - you may be surprised how many will fit.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #23
BobVA
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Try it - you may be surprised how many will fit.
Indeed! I'm just coming from a 500, so I was surprised how much elbow room is in the 505.

Regards,
Bob
Old 09-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #24
iCowboy
Enthusiast

Unhappy No fix yet, here's an update on my situation

Sony UK are referring the case back to Sony International, but have said that I need to wait for them to get back to me.

Adobe have been really good. I've been dealing with one of their senior people and he's spent a lot of time trying to isolate the problem. The books that crash my Reader do not appear to be malformed, so it is not a matter of corruption.

With my permission, Adobe have been using my AdobeID to open the books I bought on an American 505. They worked just fine.

Adobe have also sent me a number of files they created which are protected using the same DRM. Every single one of them crashed my Reader.

Adobe are wondering if there is a general problem with the UK firmware, (version 1.2.00.18050), or if some of the Readers shipped to the UK have got corrupted firmware. They haven't had a reply from Sony yet.

So the ball is very firmly in Sony's court.

I tried installing the latest American firmware (version 1.1.00.18040) on my Reader, but the installer won't allow that. As far as I know (and you may know better), there is no available download for the UK firmware.

Basically, we're all stuck until Sony respond. So if you haven't already done so, please get in contact with Sony - the more of us that raise this issue, the more the pressure on them to fix it.

Mike.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
I tried installing the latest American firmware (version 1.1.00.18040) on my Reader, but the installer won't allow that. As far as I know (and you may know better), there is no available download for the UK firmware.
There was some direction here somewhere on how to "re-flash" a Sony. Basically, you had to edit the firmware file and make the version of the firmware higher than what was on the device. So, if you can do that with the 1.1.00.18040 file you may be able to flash your device with it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #26
iCowboy
Enthusiast

Hi pilobob,

I checked the re-flasher utility from igorsk and that's not been tested with the UK Reader as yet. I'm tempted, but if the utility bricks my Reader or if it doesn't fix the problem, I will not be eligible for support from Sony.

Sigh,

Mike.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #27
iCowboy
Enthusiast

Firmware???

Quote:
Hi Mike:
Nope, I'm in the US and the DRM'ed books were from overdrive.com, via my local library. I guess your experience rules out the hacks and mine eliminates where they put the steering wheel
Hi Bob,

Just a quick question. Which version of the firmware do you have installed on the Reader?

You can find out from going back to the top menu and choosing the last option 'Settings', then 'About'. The firmware version is the first line at the top of the page.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
BobVA
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
Which version of the firmware do you have installed on the Reader?

Mike.
Version is: 1.1.00.18040

I'm starting to think that this is two problems with similar symptoms. For example, I've not been able to get a single, solely installed, book to crash the reader, which I believe is a characteristic of the problem your'e seeing. My hiccup only happens when there's external media installed (MS or SD).

I'll update the thread on the Adobe forum accordingly, but if you get a chance to mention it to the Adobe guys I'd appreciate it. I don' think they are checking the thread anymore. The problem appears pretty easy to reproduce.

Since I've been using only the internal memory, I've not had any problems.

Regards,
Bob
Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #29
iCowboy
Enthusiast

My new Reader works.

(this is a copy of the message I've just posted to the Adobe Forums, so you don't need to read both)

Hi everyone.

I have some good news - I can read DRMed eBooks - but I needed to get a new Reader. After Adobe's exhaustive experiments with my old Reader we came to the conclusion that there had to be something wrong either with the hardware or the software of my Reader.

Sony UK have been entirely useless, but Waterstones have come up trumps (thank-you Kieren at Midsummer Place) and were able to replace my Reader with a brand-new machine.

I've just tried reading two books from the Waterstones store that caused my old Reader to crash and they opened immediately.

I have a working Reader!

So the question remains, is there a bad batch of Readers circulating in the UK? Enough of us have had trouble to suggest that some of the first machines may have had corrupted firmware. If you haven't had your machine replaced, it might be worth going to your retailer and asking for a replacement.

The only drawback with this is that the Reader is in VERY short supply in the UK, so please phone them and ask if they have stock before you make a trip.

Thanks to Peter at Adobe everyone here for their ideas. If I can do anything, here's the place to ask.

Mike.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #30
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I'm in the UK, and have just got my sony reader, ordered over the internet. I've just bought a cheap e-book from the waterstones store (I agree with people as to how crap it is), and it works fine, so obviously whatever problem they were having is past.

I did however have to copy the file on manually as calibre on the mac seemed to corrupt it somehow such that it just showed a blank page.

Now I just need to find a copy of Anathem I can buy in the UK and put on it!!
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, mac, prs-505, vmware fusion, waterstones