Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
New prefix; Firmware bug, issue or request list

Prefix
Can a new prefix be added to postings? Prefix: Touch Glo Mini Aura?
Now it only possible to select one device. A little "problematic" for soms threads as future firmware features requests and firmware bugs: the same bugs and feature request for different devices in different threads (Touch and Glo).
My opinion: firmware releases are the same for all devices (until further notice): Touch, Glo, Mini and Aura. So bugs (and feature requests) apply to all devices. Except when noted or a feature (e.g. front light) is limited to some devices. But still should be posted in the same thread.

Firmware bug, issue or request list
Second, can a list of reported bugs/issues/requests added to the first or second post of the threads? Or in a closed separate thread that is periodically updated based on post in firmware related threads?

At the moment it is quite complicated to find out if a bug already has been reported. As the threads are usually long and also contain remarks, work arounds etc.

E.g.
Known bugs
Open
* (some) dictonaries not functioning: wrong format (#posting number) (# firmware release)
* annotations/bookmark issues (#posting number) (# firmware release)

Closed/Solved (by Kobo, no user work arounds)
* issue (#posting number (# firmware release)

Where:
#posting number: first posting reporting a bug/issue in current or previous thread.
# firmware release: bug/issue first appeared in firmware release number x.x.x)

You'll get the idea. Better suggestions are welcome.
It also becomes much easier to track Kobo's efforts to solve known bugs.

Last edited by Anak; 04-26-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I agree. I also proposed a bug section but I was completely ignored
Anyway IMHO the best solution is Kobo uses a bug tracking system like Launchpad.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Anyway IMHO the best solution is Kobo uses a bug tracking system like Launchpad.
As I think I said in reply to your other post on this, if you think it's a good idea to clean up how people report bugs in these forums, why don't you start to do it. All efforts on the MR forums tend to need someone to take the initiative to do it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

...PeterT, I'm not a forum admin so I can't create a subforum... and I'm not a moderator, so even if such a subforum exists I can't move threads. Which anyway IMHO it's a bad huge work, it's more simple to ask people to post bugs and requests in the new section from now and move only new threads.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...PeterT, I'm not a forum admin so I can't create a subforum... and I'm not a moderator, so even if such a subforum exists I can't move threads. Which anyway IMHO it's a bad huge work, it's more simple to ask people to post bugs and requests in the new section from now and move only new threads.
Head to the feedback forum then and make your request there.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
At least why not try to make and maintain a thread of bugs and see how it works before getting forum admin changes done.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Mh. It's more simple to maintain a subforum IMHO... I hope this will be not a waste of time! Check here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211721
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
In most respects, I agree. It would be fantastic to have a way to distinguish bug and feature requests from general posts. It would also help us see how much progress Kobo is making with their products, since people frequently post about bugs and others will continue to bring up those bugs months after they have been fixed.

My main concern though is that the bugs tag/subforum would be used for end-user gripes. Most people can't distinguish between a bug, user error, and a feature. (Heck, even technical people like myself can't always do that.)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
My main concern though is that the bugs tag/subforum would be used for end-user gripes
With a subforum you have only to move that thread
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

But one real issue is that of threads wandering. It's great to say move threads but there is also the requirement to split posts off of existing threads.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Well, splitting could be confusing for users, maybe it's better to start a completely new thread or ask the user to do it.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But one real issue is that of threads wandering. It's great to say move threads but there is also the requirement to split posts off of existing threads.
Wandering threads would still be a great deal better than what we have now: multiple threads per bug and multiple bugs per thread. There are a few times where I've wanted to post that an issue has been resolved, but couldn't find the post because of the mishmash. And I dare not venture into the feature request thread because that is a large and meandering thread.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Two meandering threads
Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And if you are really going to do it, do a thread for each released firmware version. If someone is already on a firmware and is deciding whether to upgrade, then they want to a simple way to find the bugs in the new firmware.

And there is already a thread for bugs in FW2.4.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #15
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And if you are really going to do it, do a thread for each released firmware version.
Eh. This is why Kobo should have a bug tracking system... I'll order them by firmware version inside the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And there is already a thread for bugs in FW2.4.0.
Where?