Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
mrickert
mrickert began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Is Smashwords eBook Week Boosting Traffic?

I was wondering if anyone is seeing extra traffic to their book/books this week? Traffic to my book is consistent with any average week. I am hoping sales at Smashwords can increase with some promotions. I continue to get a little bit better sales numbers through iTunes/iBooks and am currently featured on the "What's Hot" list for Marketing and Sales category.

[link to self-promotion removed - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 03-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
mrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm not a published writer but I can't help but think that it will increase sales for those who sell at Smashwords in the long run. I mean say a given writer has their work at $4.99/book usually and is an unknown to a reader who goes there. And they set one of their books at $0.00 with the coupon this week. So a new potential customer picks up that book and reads it. They like it, and want more by the same author. A person is more likely to buy from an author whose work they've sampled (traditionally via library loan or borrowing a friends book) than one whose work they've never had access to before. At least that's how I see it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't sell much at Smashwords, but the number of books I've given away this week (all my books are free during RAEW) is about the same as the total number of books I sold at Smashwords last year. I suspect free gets a lot more downloads than 25% or 50% off.

I've also noticed that four people have now added me as a favourite. Last time I looked there were two, so I suspect two of those have appeared during this week. I can't be certain, though, because I didn't check at the start of the week.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, I have seen increased traffic, and have every time I have taken part. It works because it is a short period of time, and they press it hard for that short time. If it dragged out a month or more... it would not work.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I only have one book for "sale" at Smashwords and I've had six times as many downloads since Sunday as I've had since I published it. (Of course, I'm new and an unknown quantity, so I didn't have all that many to begin with.) Since my other works (so far) are always free the only way I can see this paying off is if some readers post positive reviews. Either way, I don't think I've lost anything. I suspect most of the people who were motivated to download would probably not have been buyers.

Interestingly, my free books have both experienced big boosts in downloads, so I assume people have encountered them while going through the promotion lists. That's not bad, either.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have two books on Smashwords. Zero sales last week. Zero sales this week. One sale would be an increase, but it hasn't happened.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
I have two books on Smashwords. Zero sales last week. Zero sales this week. One sale would be an increase, but it hasn't happened.
You don't appear to have enrolled either of your books into the Read an Ebook Week promotion, so I don't really see why you'd expect an increase in sales this week.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
No increase for my books that are discounted, but a little increase for my book that is free.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I certainly saw an increase in downloads of my book.
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote