Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Google Offers to Host Wikipedia

Google Offers to Host Wikipedia (BetaNews)

Quote:
From Internet domains to Web browsers, Google seems to have its hands all over the Web these days. But the search giant shows no signs of slowing its reach, and has offered to host the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. Wiki Media Foundation, which runs Wikipedia, says Google has volunteered to supply servers and bandwidth to the project.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Not host, but help by donating servers and bandwidth... very different goal.

Personally, I think Google should be giving them a cash infusion, so the Wik[ipedia|tionary|ibooks|etc] projects can spend the cash across their own servers and bandwidth and hosting. This removes the ability for google to "control" or limit what can be done with the Wikipedia portions that exist on the Google network.

As we all know from GMail, Orkut, and other ventures from Google, they are VERY strongly rooted in patents, secrecy, and copyright enforcement, and anything you put on their network (via postings and entries through Orkut, or email posted via GMail for example) belongs to Google.

Being a heavy commercial user of Wiki* projects, I am a bit uneasy about this move, even though I think its great what they're doing with Search, Maps, and other things (limited as though they may be, compared to other commercial alternatives).

I just don't trust them as far as I can throw them, and I'm pretty strong, but not THAT strong...
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There seem to be some opinions sharing your concern, Hacker. Some are given here.. http://slashdot.org/articles/05/02/15/1432205.shtml
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote