Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #31
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Unfortunately being "capable of" doesn't mean that they're good enough to compete with the other devices and the on-line booksellers. .
I completely agree. My iPod Touch is adequate for reading, but I definitely prefer reading books off my dedicated eReader; the larger screen is easier on the eyes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of iBook reading tablet: something like an updated iPod/iPhone with a much larger screen and the Wifi connections necessary to purchase and capture ebooks, yet capable of running full-fleged apps such as Safari web browser, email client, and maybe some basic word processing/spreadsheet work. (Of course, a Bluetooth or USB keyboard would be an option.)
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #32
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
It's more than likely going to be called the 'iPad'

http://gawker.com/5452962/more-evide...-name-the-ipad

Man, even I'm getting excited about all this news on Apple and Amazon lately.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #33
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm betting on the functionality of an iPod Touch but at a size more like current ebook readers, with a 6" screen.

As for "iPad," they could be defending that name just because it sounds so much like "iPod." Particularly in a language like Japanese, in which there are only 5 consonants and the pronunciations of "iPod" and "iPad" would be the same.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #34
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I think the Amazon move is more of a response to publishers. This new royalty model is better for small publishers and older books. You will notice that they are still sticking to that $9.99 price point.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #35
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That just not sane.
I mean, how many people went for iPod because "everyone else have it", rather than "i've looked around, and it's what fits my needs best." That's sad.
My guess is about 60%. It's a little hard to say about the iPod as that requires reaching back into a memory that's getting dusty with age, but that's definitely the case with the iPhone. I find it absolutely amazing how many people *believe* Apple's hype about the iPhone being the first that can browse the web, watch movies, play music, garbage, garbage, garbage.

The only thing new about the iPhone, AFAIK, was the multi-touch capability. All other 'new' features were variants of features that had been available on other cell phone/PDA's for several years. I'm not denying that Apple did a good job, but if people had *really* looked around a lot of them would have opted for the cheaper phones that had the same capabilities-but that wouldn't have been 'cool' because the iPhone was what was 'hot'.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Or maybe they are buying Google?
I heard Apple was going to buy the rights to Mobipocket from Amazon.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #37
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I find it absolutely amazing how many people *believe* Apple's hype about the iPhone being the first that can browse the web, watch movies, play music, garbage, garbage, garbage.

The only thing new about the iPhone, AFAIK, was the multi-touch capability. All other 'new' features were variants of features that had been available on other cell phone/PDA's for several years. I'm not denying that Apple did a good job, but if people had *really* looked around a lot of them would have opted for the cheaper phones that had the same capabilities-but that wouldn't have been 'cool' because the iPhone was what was 'hot'.
Thats a massive generalisation but does hold some truth.
I also think it would be fair to say that the iPhone did a web browser much better than any other phone that was available at the time(only now really is Android starting to catch up) I tried multiple phones and the touchscreens required styli YUCK and the blackberries had too small a screen, additions like the excellent double tap to zoom on that element and the resizing of pages are still yet to be beaten.

Apple dont tend to innovate directly but through evolution occasionally inovation does take place.

An iSlate certainly wouldnt be innovative but if they can create something that is at better than the other tablet devices then that has to be a good thing for everyone in the long run.

My thoughts are that they wont release a 'Tablet' as such but a media player! think archos large screened media players. an Archos tablet with the 7 inch screen running an OSX vaient and all the apps that would come with that housed in a beautiful Apple form with their usually excellent User Interface sounds like a great device for me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #38
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Perhaps, but sometimes you can tell the shape of something by the effect it has on its surroundings.
Yes, and the vast majority of the evidence suggests to me that you'll be downloading a 3rd party app (and there are good ones!) for reading on the iSlate.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #39
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's more than likely going to be called the 'iPad'

http://gawker.com/5452962/more-evide...-name-the-ipad

Man, even I'm getting excited about all this news on Apple and Amazon lately.
No the whole tablet thing is just a smoke screen. Apple is thinking much bigger. They're going to announce their own house. The iPad.

http://business2press.com/2010/01/15...nergy-patents/
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #40
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
The only thing new about the iPhone, AFAIK, was the multi-touch capability.
I think the two most significant things about the iPhone that made it stand out in many people's minds compared to the competition were the company name placed on it, and the amount of money spent marketing it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
.... the amount of money spent marketing it.
That's the only thing that matters. It's the marketing budget that makes the bestsellers.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #42
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's the only thing that matters. It's the marketing budget that makes the bestsellers.
It's the marketing, at least. Not all big-budget marketing campaigns have been successful, and not all successful marketing campaigns have been big-budget. But enough have been that, in predicting the future, that's where I'd place my bet.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #43
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
iTunes is their ace. Ipod and then iPhone are popular because of iTunes integration not because "everyone else has one so I should". I think tech savvy people fail to realize they are a minority and there are millions who just want to point and click and get their music, movies, tv shows, apps and....books on their portable devices.

Amazon gets props for their book delivery system, and again that's a big, big reason why the Kindle is successful for them but if Apple can pull off a book/newspaper/magazine store that is global and not just U.S. centric (longshot I know, thank-you clueless publishers), they will be right back on top regardless of the device they trot out next week. There's be an improved model in 9 months to rebuy.

Amazon
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Liquivista screen.

It would make sense for apple to use. Ooh shiny! New! Better than eInk! No way!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
iTunes is their ace. Ipod and then iPhone are popular because of iTunes integration not because "everyone else has one so I should". I think tech savvy people fail to realize they are a minority and there are millions who just want to point and click and get their music, movies, tv shows, apps and....books on their portable devices.
I think a copy past way simpler than download iTunes / installing iTunes / figuring out how it works.
iTunes is one of the reason i'm staying away from apple, just like sonic stage made me go away from sony.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote