Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question for iPhone / ipod users

Hello all,

I was just wondering where iPhone/iPod users go to discover books. I know there's this website, but I don't see a lot of topics aimed specifically at you guys (only these technical ones).

I am an author trying to gain more readers, and I know that iPhones and iPods have recently been connected to the Kindle store on Amazon, and since I have a Kindle version available, I'd like to know where you guys look up information on books so that I can maintain a presence on those sites.

Thanks very much,

David
David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is also Stanza and eReader available for the iPhone/iPod Touch. So I would say eReader.com, Amazon.com, and MobileRead.com.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
I am on the email lists for eReader and Tor books, so I hear about new ebooks that way. I browse the Amazon book store as well and also check out threads announcing ebook specials here as well...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use Stanza for eBook reading as do a lot of other iPhone/iPod Touch owners. It has a built-in link (via Online Catalog) for a bunch of sites so if you can upload your content on any of the default catalogs, that's as good a way as any to promote your work. SmashWords, in particular, is geared towards independent ebook authors and publishers so I think it might be a good fit for you.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Well, ilovejedd took my main point -- Smashwords is a great place for indie authors, and I have picked up a few things there. Otherwise I generally buy all my books at Fictionwise/eReader (depending on which has the better sale at the moment, and where I have more rewards dollars).

I am very glad to see the Kindle books available for my Touch, but until the reader itself gets a bit better (the 1.0 release is very basic), I will stick with eReader and Stanza.

Good luck with the book!

The Bandit

P.S. As an aside, I went to check out your site after I originally posted my response. If one audience you want to reach is iPhone/iPod Touch users, it would be helpful if your website was either directly viewable on Mobile Safari or offered a version for mobile browsers.

Last edited by GntlmnBndt; 03-23-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just a few general thoughts.....

1. It looks like you have only one novel, so I am not sure you would want to put it under a creative commons license... at least not yet. But if you have some short stories, put them under a creative commons license and then upload them to feedbooks and project Gutenberg (as well as on your website).

2. Simplify the website... Flash web pages annoy me to no end. Particularly when they are hosting essentially static content (i.e. no animations). Put up a few sample chapters.. and see what happens. Also, I would recommend re writing the description you have. People read fantasy for escape.. even if your story is an alegory on the modern world, there is no need to tell them that.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post

2. Simplify the website... Flash web pages annoy me to no end. Particularly when they are hosting essentially static content (i.e. no animations). Put up a few sample chapters.. and see what happens. Also, I would recommend re writing the description you have. People read fantasy for escape.. even if your story is an alegory on the modern world, there is no need to tell them that.

Bill
I agree 100% on these points as well! Since you asked specifically in an iPhone forum, flash web sites cannot be viewed on the iPhone to boot. Also, I don't want an author telling me what I should find in their book in advance - I'll either see it or I won't and either will be a testament to your writing skill (or my intelligence level ).

BTW, I did buy the Kindle edition of your book to read, though I've got a few others in the queue to read ahead of it...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote