Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
califgalinnh
califgalinnh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question How to change titles and appearance on Kindle

I have many books on my Kindle that I emailed to Amazon to convert for me, therefore my list shows my email address as the author and the title of the book isn't necessary exactly as it should be. How can I change the look of this list on my Kindle? It makes it hard to search for a book when the authors are not correct.
califgalinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by califgalinnh View Post
I have many books on my Kindle that I emailed to Amazon to convert for me, therefore my list shows my email address as the author and the title of the book isn't necessary exactly as it should be. How can I change the look of this list on my Kindle? It makes it hard to search for a book when the authors are not correct.

Don't you just hate that???

You have to install the 'mobi2mobi script on your computer.

I've done it, but can't explain!

Anyone?

Now all my books show beautifully.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You have to install the 'mobi2mobi script on your computer.

I've done it, but can't explain!

Anyone?
Step by step directions are on the Wiki.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You can install Calibre instead, which works very nicely as a library as well as letting you change the meta data of the book and put in the author's name correctly sothat your books sort well on the Kindle. Plus you can add tags to sort your books by category - Hooray! Hooray!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
I've been wondering how to do this - thanks!

By the way, how irritating is it when you purchase a Kindle book from Amazon, and the author name is incorrect or backwards (sorts under first name instead of last, or vice versa)? I delayed buying Stephen King's Dark Tower 7 because it showed Michael Whalen as the author (he's the illustrator). I was afraid it was a companion book or some other fan fiction, and so had to take the time to confirm it was really what I wanted.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
You can install Calibre instead
Yes, Calibre's new support for metadata with Mobi files is very nice.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
I've been wondering how to do this - thanks!

By the way, how irritating is it when you purchase a Kindle book from Amazon, and the author name is incorrect or backwards (sorts under first name instead of last, or vice versa)? I delayed buying Stephen King's Dark Tower 7 because it showed Michael Whalen as the author (he's the illustrator). I was afraid it was a companion book or some other fan fiction, and so had to take the time to confirm it was really what I wanted.
That was the only issue I ever had with my Kindle..but now?? Its a thing of beauty. The actually reformatting takes but a couple of minutes.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Hi,
Does anyone know of a similar program that will work on a Mac? I have a number of books where the authors and titles do not sort well on my kindle and I would like to change the metadata.
Thanks,
k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know of a similar program that will work on a Mac? I have a number of books where the authors and titles do not sort well on my kindle and I would like to change the metadata.
Thanks,
k4k
Calibre works on Macs, Windows and Linux.

You can also follow the Mac instructions from the Visual Kindle Guide.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, daffyu,

I tried calibre last night on Herland (downloaded from this site). Even though I added the title and author in the correct categories, it still showed up the same way on my kindle. Maybe I have to read the directions more carefully. k4k
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
The best way to circumvent that problem is to convert your .prc files to .mobi in Calibre after you look up the meta data and get your cover. (be sure and change the default conversion settings the first time for input format mobi and output format Kindle). Now when you transfer the book to your Kindle, the mobi meta data will display correctly. One Hint: when you set the meta data in Calibre, you need to enter the authors name last, first - not just sort by last, first - because Kindle uses that for sorting.

Mine are looking so nice now that I figured that part out. And check out the curved arrow on the bottom of the Calibre screen, let's you visually click through your books by cover - is that too cool?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict

Thanks, Leep! I will try your suggestions. k4k
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
califgalinnh
califgalinnh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You are all angels! Thank you!
califgalinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
krazy4katz
Addict

Hi Leep,

I tried Calibre. Maybe I just don't have enough patience. I did manage to change the title to Herland and the author to Charlotte Gilman. So it sorted properly and looked great when I had the Kindle set up to sort by title, but when I sorted by author, it sorted to "Charlotte" no matter what I did. Also, I seemed to lose the links between the table of contents and the chapters. I will keep trying, but it seems not to be that straightforward.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

k4k
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
round 2
round 2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 & 2 home
I wander if K2 well be easier
s
round 2 is offline   Reply With Quote