Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Using my PRS-505 in a math class

I'm using my PRS-505 in a graduate math class, and thought that I'd post my experiences.

1. I carry my PRS-505 in a case (see pic) that has the reader, extra memory cards, a cable, a pad of paper, and a pen. The pen and paper let me take notes.

2. I divide up my data on memory cards, so I can find things on a reader that lacks directory browsing. One is labeled (via a Brother P-Touch PT-PC) with
"Property of Andy...
(214)...
Math 5300
Notes, Books, etc."

This way, I don't have to scroll through 1500 JPEGs of book by the late Maj. Julian S. Hatcher (ret.) to get to my Math 5300 notes. (For those who are curious, Maj. Hatcher was something like a myth buster in the 1920's, working for the Us Army Ordinance Dept. He got strange stories of things blowing up, and tested them to see what was safe, what was iffy, and what would definitely get you killed.)

3. To find my files on the reader, I first know what file type each file it.

Recorded lectures are under audio (.MP3). I also take notes, which I scan and store as images (.JPEG) flip through as a recorded lecture is running. I'm going to try taking photos of the notes on the chalk board instead of writing all the time.

I save my notes / board photos / anything else I scan under names that put them in a logical order. they are "Math5300-SequenceNumber-Date-Description.jpg." for example, the Fourth page of notes I ever took was "Math5300-0004-Jan14-Notes.jpg" "Math5300" groups everything I scan together. "0004" puts them in the right order. "Jan14" gives me the date, so I can find last Wednesday's quiz. "Notes" tells me that this is notes, as opposed to a syllabus, a quiz, or a homework assignment.

I scanned the syllabus, but didn't OCR it. I had too many hand-written notes on it to try OCring it.

There are many .m source code files for MatLab that come with the book. for example, in the "Chp06" directory there is a file named "f3.m". the PRS-505 doesn't let me browse through directories to find what I need, so I rename th file to "Math5300-Chp06-f3.txt". All my source code is grouped together beginning with "Math5300-Chp" and then the chapter number. I can see the file name, and the .txt extension convinces the PRS-505 to not only show the file, but even to open it.

I'm going to be ripping my text book in the near future, and probably the solutions manual too, so I'll keep everyone updated on how that goes.

4. The cable lets me plug in to any PC to charge, or to get access to my source code files.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andy's_PRS505_Case.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	9192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Math5300-0004-Jan14-Notes.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	9193  
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
wow how innovative!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Again, this is quite impressive, Andy. I'm glad this works for you. I would love to be able to keep my documents, books, and notes in such a way. You've said that you take photos of textbook pages and leave them as JPEG images on your Reader. On my 500, the only way I have to get from one JPEG to another is from the "Pictures" list which shows the filenames of only 10 JPEGs at a time. So what do you do (or plan to do) for books (or your notes) with hundreds of pages in them? That is, how do you get from one page in one section of the book to another in another section hundreds of pages away without advancing 10 pages at a time to get there? Or is that how you do it?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

This is going great! Voilla! Instant lecture-in-a-reader!
Below, I'll detail what I'm doinf, and I'll include a few (numbered) suggestions on how to improve the reader for e-learning.

Organization: I currently use one SD card per class (e.g., MIS 115, MATH 5300).

(1) Folders would eliminate this hassle. Dual memory cards are still critical, as a prof could hand out the semester's notes and such on a memory card. Text books could be sold on SD cards.

(2) Before we can mandate this, it has to support vision impaired students. We need several screen sized. 6" and 9" will be a start.

I've found that the entire class can be down-sized to a PRS-505. I record the class on a pocket recorder, and snap photos of the board as the prof writes. (think math class: chalk board.) Later, I play the audio and view the JPEGs that are photos I snapped of the board. It recreates the lecture.

Right now, I'm the gadget geek - a reader, a note pad, a camera, and a audio recorder. This needs to be consolidated. With imagination, it could be improved.

(1) I use an external recorder to grab audio. Sony makes these, so why not integrate it into the eBook reader? I need a QUALITY internal mic, and an external 3.5mm mic jack (for a wireless lapel mic, for example.)

(2) An intelligent audio filter should remove pen clicks, breathing, etc.

(3) The reader should take dictation, so I can search the lecture and find the instances of "homework" then listen to that bit of audio.

(4) Adjusting the audio is a pain on the PRS-505. I'll miss a bit, and have to spend 10 minutes trying to figure out which audio file I was on, and where I should be. With a touch screen, let me tap the speaker, and I can adjust which audio file I'm on, what position, the volume, etc. Then get rid of the external volume control.

(5) USB host - I need to grab pics from my camera. There's a standard for cameras to let you snap pics over USB. IF the reader supported that, I could start the audio recording, plug in my tripod-mounted camera to the reader, and snap pics. (also, I need to plug in an honest keyboard occasionally, I need Ethernet once in a blue moon, I need to read of my 2.5" USB HDD, I need to print to a USB printer)

(6) I match the pics of the board to the audio, and the only standard way to do this is by splitting and merging audio, while renaming audio and picture files. I need to do this in the reader.

(7) After snapping pics of the board, I have to crop them. I would like to do this in the reader.

(8) I should be able to export my audio and pics to a SWF file, for upload to a class web site.

(9) The suspend/resume in the middle of an audio file, in the middle of a slide is great! Everyone copy Sony here.

I ripped the book.

(1) Pairing with a published that sells text books would be ideal. Thompson is the only choice. They published the text for this class, and (together with Course Technology) they publish 90% of the books I teach out of. Thompson is now owned by Microsoft, so the computer tie-in is assured. Because the reader is closer to a camera than a laptop, it should not be cursed with CE.

I also take notes on a pad, that I scan after each class.

(1) A touch screen would let me take notes on the reader, as opposed to using paper and a scanner.

After these improvements, I'd have a reader, and a small tethered camera on a tripod.

Last class, we were covering MatLab, and needed the manuals. I had them in my PRS-505 already. I just pulled them up and browsed them.

(1) TTS (text to speech) would let me listen to books while I'm driving.

(2) Let me lock it while it's off, or while it's playing an MP3.

(3) Support more formats. One book the prof loved was only in PS format. (Think Jinke)

(4) A better zoom and pan on all formats. When I can handle 24" x 36" cad drawings, I'll be happy.

Open-book quizzes are a concern for me.

(1) Add Wi-Fi so I can hop on the school's network to access Blackboard or WebCT to take the quiz.

(2) I need a very configurable search tool. I need to be able to search my notes and the one required book first, then to look in a dozen reference books second.

Andy
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Maybe you should try a Tablet PC?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
recycledelectron
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Maybe you should try a Tablet PC?
I currently carry a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 in my bag, but I need a battery life that's measured in days, not minutes. I can spend the entire class changing batteries! When the battery meter hits 20%, I have to shut down all my programs (or risk corrupted files) before I hibernate the tablet. Just shutting down Audacity can take 5 minutes to export the MP3. The stylistic will probably die half way through this. Even if I get it hibernated, then back up with a new battery, it takes 10 minutes and I loose too much of the lecture. There are external battery packs, but they increase the weight beyond reason.

Also, the Stylistic's large (10.4") screen do not fit in on my tiny desk space in class. I need something that fits between the keyboard & mouse in a lab, or that I can carry easily one-handed.

I'm watching the UMPC market - 7" screens on 2 pound tablets are looking good. I noticed there was a 9-cell (3x power) battery for the Samsung Q1 on eBay today...cool.

My ideal system would be a convertible like the Kohjinsha line, but with an e-Ink display and a TFT (convertible). Given the specs (4GB of RAM, 200GB HDD) it would work as my only computer. It'll cost around $1,500-$2,000 to get what I want right now, minus the convertible screen.

Eventually, the UMPCs and eBook readers will merge. At that point, I'm going to require the things for all incoming freshmen.

Right now, laptops are (unfortunately) desktop replacements, for the most part. Anything over 4 pounds, that has less than a 12 hour battery is useless as a portable in my life.

Andy
Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
andy ,

great work .. have you consider switching over to using a iliad ?
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
recycledelectron
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by parryl View Post
andy ,

great work .. have you consider switching over to using a iliad ?
Not really. The price seems too high, for what you get, and I can not find one to play with before dropping $1,000.00 on it.

Andy
Old 02-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #9
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Hi Andy,

Nice to meet another person using the reader for mathematics. I was a math major (some years back) and I hope to return as a graduate next year, so I'm boning up. I've collected PDF's and converted them to LRF's using PDFLRFwin-0.99 found on this forum. It works great! I have not yet OCR'd any of my books but OCR software nowadays must be able to read around figures and tables (including handwriting) and include them as an image... si? I have a big industrial Toshiba copier at my company that OCR's automatically to the company shared server. I should try it out.

I've separated my materials into major groups on separate SD cards (algebra, topology, analysis, etc.) including problems sets and solutions. Occasionally you can find smaller SD cards for a buck or two. I have one card just for power series stuff (combinatorics, poly, differential eq. sols.). I was a programmer and Unix admin at one time so I need to scan some of my favorite references.

I've organized everything into a small case (actually a bible case), similar to yours (with a notebook and pencils), along with a book light and small magnifier... and a big eraser. I'm still looking for a compact little card holder that I can velcro into my case.

Thanks for giving us the run-down on your system.

Are you going to UTA?

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You may want to look at:

Aluminum Case, Holds 3 SD Cards
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=5169

Which is a nice little item that is compact and holds (3) SD cards. Not sure if they have ones that will hold Memory Stick Duo cards or not. They also have a few other similar products (there's a whole category called "Memory Card Cases" under "Mobile Office & Travel").
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgharold View Post
You may want to look at:

Aluminum Case, Holds 3 SD Cards
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=5169
Looks good! I have a ballistic nylon memory stick holder from a video camera case. It's very compact and has a velcro stick on the back. I'm not completely happy with it however because it looks a little floppy and junky. The clean lines of the Reader deserve better.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote