Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
How's the Browsing on the Vox ?

I'm a newbie on these forums, but I'm seriously considering buying a Kobo Vox. Sounds to me like the perfect e-reader with some basic tablet functionality.

I intend to use the Vox mainly for reading, but also for web browsing, and checking email or my Twitter account. I hate having to fire up my laptop and go through the looooong bootup routine just when I need to check something quick on the web, so I'm thinking the Vox would be ideal for this task.

My question for you Vox owners: how's the browsing on the Vox? Is it slow? Fair? Fast? Any issues you encountered? No flash hiccups? Is it easy to zoom, pinch, read in landscape? Any hindsights will be appreciated!
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Slower than my iTouch but ok...touch screen almost as good, not quite as sensitive. I'm happy with it, reading experience better (7" screen vs iPod is no contest). I have added SlideMe to add apps as you do not have access to the Android Market. Added Alkido as reader so I can use my Calibre server to add books from my laptop library wirelessly. Overall, very happy with it after 4 days of using.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The browsing's fine... but I would avoid the stock Android browser. Try Opera Mobile, which actually supports 1024x600 resolution, and is generally faster in most tasks. It'll also support Flash if it's installed, but you can disable it if you don't want the page to freeze while the applet loads (which it will, due to the somewhat underpowered hardware and the inability of Adobe to optimize Flash to run decently on mobile devices - or desktops, IMO).
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I am really enjoying browsing on the Vox. Currently I am preferring the Dolphin browser. I love that I can jump between browsing and Twitter without losing anything.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
I am really enjoying browsing on the Vox. Currently I am preferring the Dolphin browser. I love that I can jump between browsing and Twitter without losing anything.
Opera Mobile is awesome! You can actually tabbed browsing, like on a regular computer, which has been my beef with other browsers. Last week it was discovered that Dolphin periodically sends up all your information to the developer - that includes your passwords to your accounts (hope you don't bank on it). So, user beware! I was using Dolphin until I found Opera Mobile, which was right about the same time I heard that worrisome news.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
Opera Mobile is awesome! You can actually tabbed browsing, like on a regular computer, which has been my beef with other browsers. Last week it was discovered that Dolphin periodically sends up all your information to the developer - that includes your passwords to your accounts (hope you don't bank on it). So, user beware! I was using Dolphin until I found Opera Mobile, which was right about the same time I heard that worrisome news.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll try Opera. Thankfully I don't do any banking on the Vox!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
On another device running Froyo (2.2), Opera Mini ran much faster and cleaner than the stock browser. On the Vox (Gingerbread, 2.3.3), I perceived no difference between Opera Mini and the stock browser. The stock browser, I find, actually works quite satisfactorily.

I tried Opera Mobile for a bit, and it worked well, although not much faster... Multi-tab support isn't a critical feature for me.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Being able to edit urlfilter.ini to block ads was a bonus. I find it loads most pages faster by at least a few seconds, more so now I don't have to load ad scripts on pages. Plus, it fully supports tablet screen resolutions, while the stock browser doesn't seem to, wasting screen space.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote