Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #181
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
About the dictionaries check this thread:

https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/top..._in_dictionary

It seems the built-in dictionaries have very limited word set (probably it's the same as the "MW pocket dictionary" which is available for mobile devices and has only 15-20000 words)
Thanks for pointing out that thread. They mostly talk about translation dictionaries though, and I was wondering if kobo has single language dictionaries as well(apart from english-english), and if they're any good (it's usually simpler to find good single-language dicionaries than translation ones).

Like, if you open a french book, mark a word and click "definition", does any definition in french pop up? Has anyone had any good or bad experience with those dictionaries? (admitting they are there)

Could anyone with a kobo touch confirm/deny this?

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #182
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
The 2.1.1 firmware has English, German, French, Dutch, and Japanese monolingual dictionaries. The dictionaries are encrypted, so I cannot count the words in them, but the monolinguals have significantly bigger index files than the translational ones, which probably means more words.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #183
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
Like, if you open a french book, mark a word and click "definition", does any definition in french pop up? Has anyone had any good or bad experience with those dictionaries? (admitting they are there)

Could anyone with a kobo touch confirm/deny this?
I have a 2.0.0 kobo touch since a couple of days and when i read french books i have access to the french dictionnary (just tap and hold a word and it comes up). Odd thing is that sometimes it sets itself to english and i have to tinker a bit with it.
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #184
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
The 2.1.1 firmware has English, German, French, Dutch, and Japanese monolingual dictionaries. The dictionaries are encrypted, so I cannot count the words in them, but the monolinguals have significantly bigger index files than the translational ones, which probably means more words.
thanks everyone (and I guess the kobo glo will get the new 2.1.1 firmware from the start)

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-20-2012 at 12:03 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #185
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
thanks everyone (and I guess the kobo glo will get the new 2.1.1 firmware from the start)
Yes, or newer...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #186
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
About the dictionaries check this thread:

https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/top..._in_dictionary

It seems the built-in dictionaries have very limited word set (probably it's the same as the "MW pocket dictionary" which is available for mobile devices and has only 15-20000 words)
Thanks for that important link.

I am very, very disappointed though.
It seems the Kobo dictionaries are virtually useless.

Like others in that link of yours I had already decided to buy the Kobo Glo, but this means I will postpone.

Perhaps Sony will release something more up to date in a few months (One can hope).
If Sony releases a reader with the exact same specs as the Kobo, but with the Sony dictionaries I am prepared to pay 50% more for the device.

If Sony releases a next gen aluminum PRS950 mark 2, with 1Ghz processor, highres next gen e-ink screen, with glo light, enhanced software etc. I am prepared to pay at least double of what they ask for a T2.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #187
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Man... this is tearing me apart.
Now I get my hopes up again.

We definitely need the Kobo guy from the start of the thread to clear things up about the dictionaries.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #188
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
Man... this is tearing me apart.
Now I get my hopes up again.

We definitely need the Kobo guy from the start of the thread to clear things up about the dictionaries.
Out of curiosity I just checked the list near the start of the GetSatisfaction thread mentioned above. I was using the "enter a word" lookup method, so it didn't like plurals - it didn't like eclipses, but would find eclipse - but all of the words listed are now found in the dictionary. On the plurals, I think it behaves differently when looking up a word you highlight vs a word you type in -- I tried highlight on "riverboats" since that was on the page of the book I'm currently reading and it did bring up definition for riverboat. I just checked it in the manual typed in word lookup method and it finds riverboat but not riverboats (understandable, since if you are entering it they really don't need to be checking if you are using the plural -- it gives you a list of suggested possible words based on letters you've entered so far).
So the current dictionary is likely not as useless as that thread would have you believe. Since the firmware on the Glo will be based off the current (albeit likely a new version thereof) it would be fairly safe to assume the dictionaries in it will be the same/similar/better.
Realize that thread was started 10 months ago and things have changed a lot in that time in regards to the firmware.

Last edited by robko; 09-20-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added timeframe of when GetSatisfaction thread was started
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #189
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

OK, I checked the html files in the 1.9.17's dictionaries (back then these were not encrypted but gzipped), and counted the words - actually counted the < b > tags.

The English monolingual has 79667 records. (the MW Dictionary and Thesaurus for Kindle claimed to has 73000 entries)
The English-German has only 16304. (the MW English-German Dictionary has 19000)

Probably these are not the exact word counts but close. And the dictionaries could be improved in the 2.x firmware but the file sizes are almost identical, so I guess these dictionaries still the same.

BTW, the most comprehensive Merriam-Webster (the Collegiate) has 165000 entries.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #190
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I am very, very disappointed though.
It seems the Kobo dictionaries are virtually useless.
What kind of words were you hoping to look up?
If you could type out a small (or larger) list of words you've recently needed to look up on your Sony I could check them for you in the Kobo Touch's dictionary... then you could really decide on how useless the Kobo's dictionary is or not...?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #191
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
So the current dictionary is likely not as useless as that thread would have you believe. Since the firmware on the Glo will be based off the current (albeit likely a new version thereof) it would be fairly safe to assume the dictionaries in it will be the same/similar/better.
Realize that thread was started 10 months ago and things have changed a lot in that time in regards to the firmware.
That sounds very reasonable and I hope it is true.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #192
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
OK, I checked the html files in the 1.9.17's dictionaries (back then these were not encrypted but gzipped), and counted the words - actually counted the < b > tags.

The English monolingual has 79667 records. (the MW Dictionary and Thesaurus for Kindle claimed to has 73000 entries)
The English-German has only 16304. (the MW English-German Dictionary has 19000)

Probably these are not the exact word counts but close. And the dictionaries could be improved in the 2.x firmware but the file sizes are almost identical, so I guess these dictionaries still the same.

BTW, the most comprehensive Merriam-Webster (the Collegiate) has 165000 entries.
Translation dictionaries do tend to be more limited.

And you're wrong, the most comprehensive Merriam-Webster is the Unabridged (it's a happy tongue out, not a mocking raspberry, and I'm only clarifying as I'm new and don't want to make a bad first impression)
I have both the collegiate and the unabridged on my cell (and the collegiate on my bookshelf). In my experience, anything less comprehensive than the Collegiate (be it Webster or Oxford or whatnot) is of little value to me personally as the words that tend to stump me aren't in them.

But I will say this, the Merriam Webster (and Random House Webster) dictionaries tend to have good support for the differences between American and British English (unless they're the pocket editions). This support is very useful in Canada as one never knows when we'll favor one over the other
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #193
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Translation dictionaries do tend to be more limited.

And you're wrong, the most comprehensive Merriam-Webster is the Unabridged (it's a happy tongue out, not a mocking raspberry, and I'm only clarifying as I'm new and don't want to make a bad first impression)
I have both the collegiate and the unabridged on my cell (and the collegiate on my bookshelf). In my experience, anything less comprehensive than the Collegiate (be it Webster or Oxford or whatnot) is of little value to me personally as the words that tend to stump me aren't in them.
My brother-in-law is a word freak and loves that his reference library at work carries the Oxford English Dictionary in it's 20 volume glory plus 3 additions volumes. There are words in there that haven't been in common use since Shakespeare was scribbling. The CDROM version of the OED along with the Historical Thesaurus is available via the corporate network for online lookups while at work or using the VPN. A great resource for those authors in love with polysyllabic logorrhea and for those who try to read and enjoy their work.

Personally, I settle for the Canadian Oxford English Dictionary which has a very good grip on the way that Canadian spelling wavers between the UK and the US usages.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #194
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
This support is very useful in Canada as one never knows when we'll favor one over the other
Of course you meant 'favour'?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #195
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Is Caecilia a supported font on the Kobo Glo? This article shows a snapshot of Caecilia selected on the Font Customizer, but the promo video on the Kobo website states 7 font styles and Caecilia isn't listed as one of them. On the Chapters website under Enhanced Reading Experience, it says there are 11 styles.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote