Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #31
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Wifi worked. Thanks. Wish I could get my ereader to see it has a SD card in it. -_-
Are you having the same problem as jackastor?
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #32
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
for the interested, Annotations on Epub now works... strangely, to say the least, when using a custom font. (tested with Charis SIL)

Kobo now refuses to work at all without regsitration, and won't let you sideload books. So now Linux users wanting to use kobo as a reader are completely screwed.. frankly, I'm tired of faffing aroudn with this this.. the Sony T1 has been a better device from day one, and with both Nook and Kindle availabe.. I'm tossing this piece of crap straight to the bin.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #33
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
for the interested, Annotations on Epub now works... strangely, to say the least, when using a custom font. (tested with Charis SIL)

Kobo now refuses to work at all without regsitration, and won't let you sideload books. So now Linux users wanting to use kobo as a reader are completely screwed.. frankly, I'm tired of faffing aroudn with this this.. the Sony T1 has been a better device from day one, and with both Nook and Kindle availabe.. I'm tossing this piece of crap straight to the bin.
I'm a Linux-user. No problems on this end.

I'm currently running Linux Mint 11 GNOME 2.32. I typically use my KT with Calibre, but I just tested regular sideloading. The book used to test was The Essays of Montaigne by Michel de Montaigne from Project Gutenberg in ePub (with images). Worked fine for me.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-25-2011 at 12:00 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #34
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post

I'm currently running Linux Mint 11 GNOME 2.32. I typically use my KT with Calibre, but I just tested regular sideloading. The book used to test was The Essays of Montaigne by Michel de Montaigne from Project Gutenberg in ePub (with images). Worked fine for me.
That's because you aready used Windows (or the experimental deb package) to register the device. It won't work anymore without (but it used to, now it purposely goes out of it's way to disable the kobo until you set up with the Kobo Desktop software).

At the risk of joining the tin foil hat brigade, at this point, I have to questoin just exactly why Kobo is so desperate to force users into installing the kobo software on their pc's. It would have been just as easy to enable to kobo to register itself over internet than the new code they created just to cripple it. There's an ulterior motive here, I don't doubt the least.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #35
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's because you aready used Windows (or the experimental deb package) to register the device. It won't work anymore without (but it used to, now it purposely goes out of it's way to disable the kobo until you set up with the Kobo Desktop software).

At the risk of joining the tin foil hat brigade, at this point, I have to questoin just exactly why Kobo is so desperate to force users into installing the kobo software on their pc's. It would have been just as easy to enable to kobo to register itself over internet than the new code they created just to cripple it. There's an ulterior motive here, I don't doubt the least.
I did the set-up on the different computer. It also runs Linux, and I did install the desktop software. Is that what you mean by registering?

The Kobo Desktop software is not, and has never been, installed on the computer I just tested sideloading on.

People were saying it was a conspiracy that they were not being able to annotate on sideloaded ePubs. Yet here we are. If you'd rather image it's a conspiracy, I guess that's your prerogative.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-25-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #36
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
People were saying it was a conspiracy that they were not being able to annotate on sideloaded ePubs. Yet here we are. If you'd rather image it's a conspiracy, I guess that's your prerogative.
Conspiracy is a stronger word than I would have used. Ulterior motives however, whom among us doesn't have those?

As it is, I invite anyone from Kobo to explain their reasoning behind adding the new check and disable code. However, I expect that they would be just as happy to tell me not to let the door hit me on the way out (though they are fare too polite and proffessional to ever say so on a public forum.) I'm perfectly cool with that at this point. My experiment and support of this is done.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #37
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Found a bug (?):
I can create a note in a sideloaded ebook (EPUB), but it's not shown as one and can't be opened.

When creating a note in a Kobo ebook, there is a little icon right in top of the highlight. That icon is missing inside sideloaded ebooks, so you can't open the note after creating it.

Last edited by cme; 11-25-2011 at 03:58 AM.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #38
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
Found a bug (?):
I can create a note in a sideloaded ebook (EPUB), but it's not shown as one and can't be opened.

When creating a note in a Kobo ebook, there is a little icon right in top of the highlight. That icon is missing inside sideloaded ebooks, so you can't open the note after creating it.
I don't get an icon either, but I don't know how it works for kePubs, since I haven't read any yet. So here's how I've been doing it.

If you short-touch the center of the screen, and click the open book icon with a folded corner on the lower panel, you should get an option to view your annotations. It then opens a window that shows all of your notes, hightlights, and dog ears.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #39
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:

Did you happen to notice that you can download books onto your Touch using the Calibre server? How kewl is that!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Conspiracy is a stronger word than I would have used. Ulterior motives however, whom among us doesn't have those?

As it is, I invite anyone from Kobo to explain their reasoning behind adding the new check and disable code. However, I expect that they would be just as happy to tell me not to let the door hit me on the way out (though they are fare too polite and proffessional to ever say so on a public forum.) I'm perfectly cool with that at this point. My experiment and support of this is done.
I am not from Kobo, but within the past few days, Kobo sent emails to Vox owners with instructions regarding an update. I am hoping that Kobo will use the registrations of other devices to make sure that people get important information regarding their devices, when needed.

As for your leaving, oh well. Good luck to you.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #41
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Does one need to connect Kobo Touch to computer ever after finalizing first setup? Can I do the firmware upgrade without computer connection (I haven't done any yet)?

I am Linux user myself, and I did my first KT registration on my Windows machine, but I have not used the Kobo Desktop software since. I have purchased one book so far from Kobo bookstore, but I just synced whe KT via wifi and book did get synced to device.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #42
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Any changes on the dictionary? And does anybody got a direct link to the firmware, so one can place it in the .kobo directory for an upgrade using a linux PC? Thanks!
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #43
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
the new update seems to have gone fine for me on my new KT.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #44
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
This seems like a stable update. Like the clock. Wish it were visible while reading. Not sure what the point of the dog ear is. Pages are automatically bookmarked when powering off or going to sleep.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The dogear bookmarks are for pages you may want to refer to later. Think of it as highlighting a whole page. These show up in your annotations. You can quickly check the time by doing that center tap thing, and then touching the clock in the top margin.