Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
meagicano
meagicano began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo touch won't load side-loaded books in the library...

Hi All!

I have a Kobo touch, purchased two or three months ago, and have had no trouble with it before.... now, however, a different story.

I use Adobe Digital Editions for library books, Calibre for everything else and Kobo desktop for a couple of those free ebooks. I mostly use Calibre and ADE.

I tried to load a library book on Friday night, let it update then went on a road trip. Saturday night I tried to read the library book but it wasn't there. I tried loading books again today, but again - not working.

I did a basic reset, a factory reset and a basic reset. I sat on the phone with Kobo support while the girl had me plug the ereader in and out a million times... I've been elevated to Tier2 support now. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can do? I am at my parents for Christmas and there is NOTHING TO DO HERE. I was loaded up with books in preparation!

Thanks!
meagicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Was it to the internal memory or a microSD card? There are known bugs with several different microUSB cards not being read by the Kobo Touch for some reason.

Is your Kobo Touch even being detected by the computers at this point?

What firmware are you running?
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
meagicano

It's the main memory - no SD card.

Kobo Touch is detected and I can see the files in "my computer" - so they are on the device, just not showing up in the library.

Version 1.9.14
Old 12-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Where are you putting the files?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
meagicano

I was using Calibre/Adobe and just using the defaults... then I tried dragging and dropping the epubs into the main folder (just e:/kobowhatever), so the "top" folder I guess.

It still didn't work.
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
That's really odd, I have no idea what could be wrong. Try converting the files into Epub with Calibre and then adding them.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagicano View Post
I was using Calibre/Adobe and just using the defaults... then I tried dragging and dropping the epubs into the main folder (just e:/kobowhatever), so the "top" folder I guess.

It still didn't work.
When you say "e:/kobowhatever" do you mean you made a folder in the root of e:\ and put books there?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
With the Kobo hooked up to the computer, try erasing the (2?) files with Calibre-something in the name. I think they are named "driveinfo.calibre" and "metadata.calibre".
Erase the books you haven't been able to read and re-add them with Adobe.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
meagicano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When you say "e:/kobowhatever" do you mean you made a folder in the root of e:\ and put books there?
Yes - I mean, it's the e:\ drive... so whatever the "top" drive would be when I click on it. So it's not in a folder, it's just sitting in the open right now. Does that make sense?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep Perfect sense; and that should work. And the files DO have an .epub extension?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
meagicano

Yes, I've checked - the files have the .EPUB extension.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I have problems side loading with Calibre now too. Never been a problem before. I've tried several different files and deleted and readded the epub with Calibre. This is the first time that I have side loaded since the firmware upgrade with the KT.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What version of Calibre are you all running? Shannon--is your problem with a Vox or some other Kobo device?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder if Shannon MIGHT have a corrupted database on the Kobo (and I'm sure it's a Touch).
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
It is the Touch that I am having problems with. I don't read on Vox very often.

I've just taken one epub to add and when I eject it hanges up at 78% everytime whether it is one epub or 5 ... and I've tried several different epub one at a time. I just gave up and am reading what is in my library now.

I'm suspecting I'll have to do a factor reset and do the firmware upgrades again.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote