Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Ereader That Handles a Lot of Books

I swear I have nothing but problems with ereaders.

I need a ereader that can handle my huge library. I have over 5000 "books" (not all are published books, which is why I used the quotes) and I need a ereader that can handle them.

I have a Kobo but the software can't handle more than 1000 books without slowing to a snails pace. I can't get Calibre to work with my Sony reader (it literally takes hours to transfer less than 100 books.) I'm at my wits end.

I need a ereader that can actually handle a lot of books, I do want to eventually put all 5000+ books on it because I want to actually have my whole library with me. (it's the whole reason I want a ereader in the first place)

I love the touch, front lit would be great, but it's not a deal breaker . Is there a reader than can actually handle a large about of books? Or are they all so buggy as to render them useless when you have a large about of books?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest getting something like a Pocketbook or an Onyx - they simply use a directory browser to display your library, and you can arrange them how you wish on an SD card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I'd love to get the Onyx but I live in Canada, and I can't find anyone that has them here.

EDIT I can't find either of them for Canada

Onyx does ship to Canada, although it's pricy. I was wondering in the Library can you set it up to show the cover next to the title? I know some readers don't.

Last edited by Bittybye; 06-29-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I have a Kobo but the software can't handle more than 1000 books without slowing to a snails pace. I can't get Calibre to work with my Sony reader (it literally takes hours to transfer less than 100 books.) I'm at my wits end.
Thats news to me; I never saw it mentioned before. Ereaders cannot handle even 1000 books? I have like 17,000 books!! Is it anything to do with the specific card you are using?

How does other ereaders in this regard, say kindle, nook etc.? How many books you people normally have in the reader (without slowing it down)?
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Thats news to me; I never saw it mentioned before. Ereaders cannot handle even 1000 books? I have like 17,000 books!! Is it anything to do with the specific card you are using?

How does other ereaders in this regard, say kindle, nook etc.? How many books you people normally have in the reader (without slowing it down)?
The Kindle Paperwhite can store approximately 1000 books. That represents something like 14 years' reading for me, so I don't see it as a limiting factor.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got a Sony 350 and a T1 - Calibre transfers never take that long.

Are you converting large documents/PDFs before you transfer them? Because PDF conversions usually take longer.

Why don't you just sideload via drag-and-drop via a USB connection to a PC? Or load everything onto an SD card and just install that into the Sony?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite can store approximately 1000 books. That represents something like 14 years' reading for me, so I don't see it as a limiting factor.
A good chunk of my collection is educational/technical stuff kept for references (won't read the whole books, so not exactly 14 yrs of reading). But I was hoping ereader to carry my entire library when I need it.

Also, if ereaders can handle only less than 1000 books why would we need those memory card expansions (I was thinking about buying a 16gb card)?
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've about 2000 books on my Sony T1 I can't say I'm happy with how it handles them though, It isn't a problem if you use calibre to pick your next book beforehand but if you try to browse your catalog on the T1 it'll be pretty impossible without it crashing at some point.

Collections make things a bit better but that doesn't help with books that aren't in a series, I just think ereader specs are too low to cope with big catalogs and I think a tablet would at least let you browse your library.

So I'm saying a tablet is better for people with a lot of books.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have 8000+ books on my T1 SD and I have them in author collections
I have 1500+ on my Aura SD and have them in series collections with one collection for books not in series.

The T1 is not any slower than it was when it had 50 books on it, seems pretty fast actually and only crashes occasionally which it did with 50 books on it. Mostly crashes when deleting books. My 350 and 600 never crashed and both had a lot of books.
The Aura is slow when opening the shelf list (takes almost a minute) but seems fine other than that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Nella
Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Nook ST, KPW 1,3,4, Kobo Libra 2
I have 2000+ books side loaded on my Nook STR and 100+ in internal memory. Never have any problem loading them at all.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The only thing that slows down as you add books to the Kindle is the global search, and it's natural that it would do, because it has more to search. I currently have about 780 books on my Kindle, and a search takes perhaps 10s.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only thing that slows down as you add books to the Kindle is the global search, and it's natural that it would do, because it has more to search. I currently have about 780 books on my Kindle, and a search takes perhaps 10s.
If you get enough books on it navigation of the book list and stuff start slowing down too, I've not noticed any slowness problems once in a book though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you get enough books on it navigation of the book list and stuff start slowing down too,
I can't say I've noticed that, but there again I never "page" through the library - once you have more than a few hundred books it gets unwieldy. I have my home page sorted by author, and use the "jump" facility to go to wherever I want in the list directly, rather than paging through it.