Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sony Reader at the Gym

Anybody ever use the Reader while working out? Here I mainly mean while walking on the treadmill.

I try to do an hour a day, four days a week walking at low heart rate on the treadmill at my gym. Now I just watch mindless TV but have thought it'd be great to set the Reader on the Treadmill shelf and happily read away.

Anybody do this?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'd sweat all over it and short it out
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
mlbspike
Enthusiast
mlbspike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, PRS505
Love my reader ... spatter little bits of toothpaste on it despite my best efforts. My sweat doesn't scatter far enough to worry about, but the distance to the plexi-stand magazine support is too far for a 6 inch screen (at least for me), at the gym. Fortunately, I have a second book passion ... audiobooks. The only way I keep my daily average page consumption up to snuff (work crunch or not) is to maximize every spare minute .... call me obsessive (my wife certainly does).
I use audible.com (since '99). A great reader, can make even a reread a wonderful experience ... Patrick Tull doing the Master and Commander stuff ... the ultimate ), Frank Muller, Simon Vance, Nigel Planer (esp his Pratchett stuff). Almost a shame that Tull and Vance have doubled up on the O'Brian novels ... but, who could blame them ... if you are one of the top readers ... O'Brian has to be a temptation, and a joy.
mlbspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
mlbspike
Enthusiast
mlbspike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, PRS505
BTW ... getting a subscription is the way to go with Audible, ... individual purchases (although cheaper than other choices for audio content), is pricey for my taste.
mlbspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I've done it myself. Works great. Put your font size on L and stick it in a ziploc bag. Read away!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
mattgam
Enthusiast
mattgam began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505,Cybook Gen 3, Astak Pocket Pro
I agree I just put mine in a ziplock and use it an hour a day at the gym on treadmills and ellipticals. Works great and has really improved my whole workout experience!
mattgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Anybody ever use the Reader while working out? Here I mainly mean while walking on the treadmill.

I try to do an hour a day, four days a week walking at low heart rate on the treadmill at my gym. Now I just watch mindless TV but have thought it'd be great to set the Reader on the Treadmill shelf and happily read away.

Anybody do this?

I use it everytime I go. It's fantastic if you're doing elliptical or treadmill since you don't need to fiddle with pages on a real book.

I've never used ziplocks like everyone else seem to be doing. I sweat, but nothing that will require me to put it under plastic. My goodness.

Last edited by nathantw; 12-22-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: update
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I tried it with Pbooks, I'm fine as long as its the treadmill, if its the bikes or the ellipse machines (basically anything powered by me ) I get to a good bit then my body just stops and I am sat/stood there grinning like an idiot.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm on vacation at the moment but plan on picking up a 505 upon return. Probably get it at Borders since they have that special offer on.

Cheers
Old 12-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've been using mine on the elliptical for the past month or so with no problems. In order to read comfortably, I have to put the reader on Large and lean forward a bit more than I normally would.

But it's definitely the best reading-while-sweating experience I've ever had. Fonts on paperbacks are usually too small and listening to audio books while working out was one of the most boring experiences in my life.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
SanFranMatt
SanFranMatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR505
Is it a pain to flip the pages while you're running or on the elliptical?
SanFranMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Is it a pain to flip pages while running or using the elliptical? Nope. It's just a matter of reaching out and pressing a button. I like using the button that's on the bottom of the reader because it's easier to get to.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This thread reminds me of one of Bill Bryson's books - the one (I forget the title) in which he write about his impressions of the US after returning there from many years living in England. One of the things he comments on is his neighbour who drives to the gym, spends an hour on a treadmill, and then drives home again, and who looks horrified at the suggestion that she simply goes for a walk from home instead .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

With two months experience, I can now tell you the 505 works great on the treadmill. I set it to the largest font and use an MEdge leisure cover and it is easy and pleasant to read. And I've discovered that one hour on the treadmill while reading a great sleazy detective novel feels like ten minutes. It's really made what used to be a tedious chore, a real pleasure.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #15
epotter
epotter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
The one thing I would like for reading while working out is an remote control. For ipods, you can by external controls that are easier to use while doing things like working out. It would be nice if you could have an external control for reader. Just something with a giant, page turn button that would be simple to press while running. I don't think the readers have as much ability to be controlled as the ipods have, so this is probably unrealistic.
epotter is offline   Reply With Quote