Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
mogwai
mogwai began at the beginning.

Device: none
drm protection

I hope this is the right forum for this!

I just purchased a DRM protected ebook (epub) and would love to read it on my Kindle. But I can't because the file is drm protected sadly. Can anyone tell me how to remove this? I found this (http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/m...on-kindle.html) python script but I have no idea how that actually works.

Can anybody out there help me understand what to do?
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that it's against MobileRead's site policy to provide detailed assistance with DRM removal. Sorry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I think I can say the link you provided is about Mobipocket and kindle. I didn't see anything there about epub.

This is the one big downside of readers. Once you pick a reader you are picking your poison. For the most part you are tied to Mobipocket, epub or kindle. Not necessarily a bad thing unless years later you want to change readers or you want to upgrade and the upgrade uses a different DRM format.

I accept the fact that publishers want to protect their intellectual property and revenue stream. I do believe companies have to find the way to allow us fair use of the product. By the way O'Reilly the publisher of software development books sells them without any DRM. It is totally open. I now am assured I can transfer the books to a new reader when I get one. I have great respect for O'Reilly respecting the customer. I will never give away any book but especially an O'Reilly book.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For a good summary of DRM issues, see Apprentice Alf's Blog.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's DRM restriction, not DRM protection. "Protection" sounds (intentionally so) like something good for the user, not something totally inimical to the user. As someone (RMS?) said, DRM manages rights like prisons manage freedom. It's all about device lock-in, and homie don't play that game.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It's DRM restriction, not DRM protection. "Protection" sounds (intentionally so) like something good for the user, not something totally inimical to the user. As someone (RMS?) said, DRM manages rights like prisons manage freedom. It's all about device lock-in, and homie don't play that game.
Sigh, it only confuses the issue to try to change the term at this late date. Pretty much every one understands what DRM and copy protection mean...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
By the way O'Reilly the publisher of software development books sells them without any DRM. It is totally open. I now am assured I can transfer the books to a new reader when I get one. I have great respect for O'Reilly respecting the customer. I will never give away any book but especially an O'Reilly book.
Does this mean if I buy a new reader, my existing epubs with DRM cannot be transferred across? Can I authorise the new device with ADE - like I have with my existing device? If DRM ties you down this much then it is even worse than I thought!
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Does this mean if I buy a new reader, my existing epubs with DRM cannot be transferred across? Can I authorise the new device with ADE - like I have with my existing device? If DRM ties you down this much then it is even worse than I thought!
If the reader is one that can be used with DRM ADE, then yes, you can authorize the new device. I believe there's a limit to the number of device you can authorize (counting your computer, too). But I've read that if you have an issue with that (for example, if you get a new computer and device, and you've run out of authorizations) you can contact Adobe on their forums to have the number extended.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
I hope this is the right forum for this! I just purchased a DRM protected ebook (epub) and would love to read it on my Kindle. But I can't because the file is drm protected sadly.
Once you buy a Kindle, you can only use books either sold by Amazon or listed on other sites as "kindle version" unless you are going to strip the DRM. And as others have said, you won't get advice on how to do that here.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Sigh, it only confuses the issue to try to change the term at this late date. Pretty much every one understands what DRM and copy protection mean...
People know "DRM" ... the exact words, not so much. By using our choice of words instead of the publishers', we're not confusing the issue; if anything, we're clarifying it. Why should we let the publishers choose our language for us? DRM is DRM, but it's just as much up to us to say what the "R" means as it is to them.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If the reader is one that can be used with DRM ADE, then yes, you can authorize the new device. I believe there's a limit to the number of device you can authorize (counting your computer, too). But I've read that if you have an issue with that (for example, if you get a new computer and device, and you've run out of authorizations) you can contact Adobe on their forums to have the number extended.
I just bought a new pc, and I had no trouble authorizing my new pc for use with ADE. I also discovered that I can deauthorize my old pc if I choose.

So I don't think you should ever run into a problem with running out of authorizations utilizing this option.

All I had to do was re-upload all of my books to my ADE library from my ebooks file.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
I too am for the term drm restriction instead of protection.

On a different issue, I was under the impression that epub wasn't possible on the kindle, drm or no drm???? I am confused....

As for drm stripping, whilst I respect mobilreads policies I have come across certain threads pertaining to it here.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
As for drm stripping, whilst I respect mobilreads policies I have come across certain threads pertaining to it here.
You can certainly discuss DRM removal. What we prohibit is providing step-by-step instructions on how to do it. It's fine to say "you can use the skindle program to strip DRM from a Kindle for PC book". What you can't do is give someone instructions on how to use the skindle program.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Harry, may I ask something? Am I right in assuming drm or no drm there's no cross platform compatibility between amazon's mobi-type format and the sonys, and vise versa with adobes epub? And how does apple figure out there with their drm-ed epub?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I too am for the term drm restriction instead of protection.
I think it's a great term. "Protection" is the industry's spin, "restriction" is closer to the actual effects on the victims (I should say 'people who read'). People should use the term 'DRM restricted' more often.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, drm protection, epub, kindle, mobi