Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #61
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Our ereaders already track our reading, it would be trivial to deduct money from our Amazon et al. accounts if we spend more than an hour or so reading a book.

While we're at it, why don't we all have biochips surgically installed so our location and actions can be monitored 24/7.

No, on second thought, let's not do that. Regardless of who is gathering data on me or how, I want less of it.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #62
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Regardless of who is gathering data on me or how, I want less of it.
Why? Is not more information better?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #63
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
For a guy who started out sounding almost like an anarchist, you now seem awfully corporate. I don't claim this to be a defect in your thinking -- it could be more a reaction to defects in the thinking of people like me. However, I do want to point out that the internet is no longer a sole possession of countries where a distributor who aspires to distribute almost any text, regardless of political content, such as Amazon, would be allowed to operate freely.
There is definitely a constant dichotomy.

It is unfortunate that our communication systems are controlled by things such as governments and corporations, until these systems are truly autonomous they can never be completely free. We can and will act as if they are until they are.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #64
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Why? Is not more information better?
Not always. More people knowing personal information about me like my passwords, PINs etc is most certainly not better.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #65
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Not always. More people knowing personal information about me like my passwords, PINs etc is most certainly not better.
But you don't understand. Giggleton should have everything for free. He has the right to your PINs and passwords. How else is he going to access your bank accounts? Would-be dictators need their free money, you know.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #66
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
If everyone was nice to each other, would it matter if those types of information were publicly available?

We have to define nice...
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #67
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
The average person/reader is largely unaware of DRM or what it means. I'm on a few cozy reader forums and when the subject comes up, most people don't care.
A shockingly large number of people I talk to buy books, even e-books, and read them only once. So for them, as long as they get that one read, DRM is not an issue and they don't care.

I think DRM becomes more of an issue for those, like myself, who want to know they can come back to a book at a later date and not have it inaccessible, for whatever reason. Plus those who think, and I generally agree with, that e-books are books and you should have the same (not more, not less) rights you do with a DTB.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #68
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I generally only read books once, although there are some books that I come back to. But even if I don't read it again, I want the option to read it again if I want. For me, just deleting a book after reading it is like throwing it away. And throwing it away is sort of like throwing away a puppy after you're done petting it. (I exaggerate... slightly.) When I need to clear space on my bookshelves, I donate paper books that I know I won't want to read again. I need to find a home for them before I can get rid of them.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #69
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
If everyone was nice to each other, would it matter if those types of information were publicly available?
If people were sufficiently nice not to take advantage of having access to my passwords and PINs, I wouldn't need them. I could log onto Mobile Read (for example) with just my user name. I could get money out of my bank by simply inserting my card and not have to enter a PIN.

Not having to have lots of passwords and PINs would be great. Unfortunately, we don't have that society, and I doubt we ever will.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #70
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
If people were sufficiently nice not to take advantage of having access to my passwords and PINs, I wouldn't need them. I could log onto Mobile Read (for example) with just my user name. I could get money out of my bank by simply inserting my card and not have to enter a PIN.

Not having to have lots of passwords and PINs would be great. Unfortunately, we don't have that society, and I doubt we ever will.
Well, the first step to creation is to imagine the possibilities.

Interesting about only using ebooks once, for fiction I would assume this is generally the case, what to do then with all those files? toss them in the recycle bin? Or forward them to everyone?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #71
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Well, the first step to creation is to imagine the possibilities.
Yes, but in the meantime I have to deal with the current reality, not what might happen in the future. You asked "Is not more information better?", and I said not always, and backed up my answer with an example.

Maybe in the future my example won't be an issue. Maybe in the future the answer to your question will be different. But in the meantime, I have to live in the present, and so I gave my answer based on present realities, not potential future utopia.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #72
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Yes, but in the meantime I have to deal with the current reality, not what might happen in the future. You asked "Is not more information better?", and I said not always, and backed up my answer with an example.
But we aren't talking about pin numbers, we are talking about knowledge. Some might ask what is knowledge, Harry Potter is considered knowledge by many.

What to do with all those used copies of Harry Potter? To get back to the OP...

The big six would have us burn them.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #73
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
But we aren't talking about pin numbers, we are talking about knowledge. Some might ask what is knowledge, Harry Potter is considered knowledge by many.
As I said, you asked "Is not more information better?", and you asked it in response to KenJackson's statement that "Regardless of who is gathering data on me or how, I want less of it". I said more information is not always better, and I still don't think you've given evidence to the contrary.

Dictionary.com's first definition of knowledge is:
Quote:
acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; general erudition: knowledge of many things.
So it would appear that my PINs and passwords are indeed knowledge. I'd prefer to keep that knowledge private.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #74
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My latest essay is about knowledge.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #75
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Harry Potter is not knowledge. Harry Potter may contain knowledge, but it is not itself knowledge. The knowledge is free, the book is not. Knowledge is freely distributable, books are not. There is knowledge in my brain, it doesn't mean you get to have access to my brain. If we just declare that all books are free, the knowledge dries up, because the incentive to create dries up.