Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
vanroth
vanroth began at the beginning.

Device: MyPal 636n (win ce 6.0
Talking Calibre's high memeory and sevices usage

I apologize if this subject has been covered before, I did a general search of the forum however, besides the fact that I love the application, I have a question, why is it that calibre uses 5 separate "parallel" services as well as the application requirements for 20K each (total memory hit of 193K in service memory) plus the additional hits of approx 35K for the console host for each of the parallel services. Can this not be managed within one service and or application to decrease cpu cycles. I am not necessarily complaining as I have an i7-860 cpu with 12gigs ram etc but I always look at the service and memory hit each program requires.

Again, I love the program and use it actively....... but would like some info on the memory and service hits.

best regards;

Roelof
vanroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
1.) You must mean an M everywhere you have a K
2.) A separate thread for each core is made so several books can be processed in parallel. Sure, it could use one thread instead of 5-- it would simply take 5 times longer to process all the files.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanroth View Post
I apologize if this subject has been covered before, I did a general search of the forum however, besides the fact that I love the application, I have a question, why is it that calibre uses 5 separate "parallel" services as well as the application requirements for 20K each (total memory hit of 193K in service memory) plus the additional hits of approx 35K for the console host for each of the parallel services. Can this not be managed within one service and or application to decrease cpu cycles. I am not necessarily complaining as I have an i7-860 cpu with 12gigs ram etc but I always look at the service and memory hit each program requires.

Again, I love the program and use it actively....... but would like some info on the memory and service hits.

best regards;

Roelof
You may get the response you need asking your question in the Calibre forum where Kovid (developer of Calibre) resides.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
2.) A separate thread for each core is made so several books can be processed in parallel. Sure, it could use one thread instead of 5-- it would simply take 5 times longer to process all the files.
Yes, but it doesn't need to show a separate process for each thread. I suspect, actually, that the actual total memory usage is what is shown for a single instance and that the display of separate processes is simply a Calibre bug.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't run separate tasks in threads, but in actual separate processes.

And worker processes consume no resources when they are idle. All modern OSes keep the memory requirements of idle processes in swap if your system RAM is running low.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
vanroth
vanroth began at the beginning.

Device: MyPal 636n (win ce 6.0
Calibre's high memory and sevices usage

Well, I got all the answers I expected to get and I thank all those who took the time to respond.

vanroth

This thread is now closed
vanroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Uh, no it isn't.

I am now the Prince of Chichester!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
A helpful tip is that you can change the number of these background processes that Calibre creates in Preferences->Advanced.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote