Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #271
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
That would be so great!

Sparkle: sorry to hear that you received yet another disappointing one.

I still don't know what to do with mine - I've realised that I only really like reading on it with the light right down to the minimum, when I turn the light up, even slightly, then for some reason it just becomes annoying. If I didn't already have the K3, I would probably be happy with the PW but it just seems a bit silly to not use the light when it is after all the point of it.
Maybe you're sensitive to light in this case. I also found myself squinting at Odyssey even at level1. When I turned light off completely I didn't like how dark the screen was. Too much "I don't like" + specks to keep it. I wonder if I will ever be able to use lighted ereader. I keep ipad on the lowest light all the time and it is too bright still.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #272
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Uh oh indeed. I did try my best not to laugh when the CS agent asked if I had tried rebooting the PW to see if that would fix the problems with the screen
Oh I know! I realize it's a part of their script and they have to ask.... but erm... The last call I had with Andrew he asked me to restart to see if the specks went away.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #273
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
What?! Andrew should know better!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #274
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What?! Andrew should know better!
I know! I was surprised when he asked me to. I guess because the calls are recorded they have to be careful to follow the script?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #275
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Maybe you're sensitive to light in this case. I also found myself squinting at Odyssey even at level1. When I turned light off completely I didn't like how dark the screen was. Too much "I don't like" + specks to keep it. I wonder if I will ever be able to use lighted ereader. I keep ipad on the lowest light all the time and it is too bright still.
It isn't so much a question of too bright, or sensitive to light but probably more to do with a most irritating light leak as well as a couple of colour blotches. Hopefully the replacement will be better. Maybe I should have confused the poor woman on the phone by telling her I want a screen that's as good as the one Blossom got in the Paperwhite lottery
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #276
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I wish you all the best Paperwhites
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #277
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
I've decided that mine will be going back to Amazon, however being either too optimistic or too stupid, I'm giving them one more chance and have asked for a replacement which should be here by Wednesday.
Not at all stupid, but maybe a bit optimistic! You and sparklemotion have tons more patience than I do. Mine is all used up just watching you guys trying to get a good one.

As always, good luck, hope the next one is better.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #278
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Not at all stupid, but maybe a bit optimistic! You and sparklemotion have tons more patience than I do. Mine is all used up just watching you guys trying to get a good one.

As always, good luck, hope the next one is better.
Very optimistic I think - but I know that there are some good ones out there.

It's Sparklemotion and Xendula who have all the patience. I only received my first PW 2 days ago, however I did say that I would go straight for a refund and not bother with a replacement if it wasn't good so Ooops
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #279
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I know! I was surprised when he asked me to. I guess because the calls are recorded they have to be careful to follow the script?
Yes. It's possible his team leader is listening along to do an evaluation. If he does not follow the script (assuming they use scripts), he'll be hit over the head with it, even if the script is utterly ridiculous.

I know from experience. I've worked in IT-support for some time.

And I got bad evaluations but very happy customers because I often didn't follow scripts. Consistently getting loads and loads of happy customers was my only reason not being kicked out of that support job in the first month.

In the end, tt should have told them that using scripts and hiring people who don't actually *KNOW* what they are doing brings in *LESS* happy customers than hiring *knowledgeable* people and giving them a huge leeway. This would even make support kind of fun to do, as the employee can actually often *achieve something* by doing "out of the box" stuff. But no, they're still using scripts, years after I changed jobs...

(If you wonder: no, I'm not bad at following rules or instructions. However, asking a customer "Could you please reboot your notebook, to see if it solves the problem?" when he has a crack in his screen is utterly pointless. I won't do it. It will gain you the tag "Supreme Idiot" in the first minute of the call, dashing most hopes of ever achieving a solution without the customer getting angry while running through the script.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #280
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
I've decided that mine will be going back to Amazon, however being either too optimistic or too stupid, I'm giving them one more chance and have asked for a replacement which should be here by Wednesday.
Good luck with your replacement, Yolina. I hope the next unit is finally it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Good luck, xtine! Ha, yes, I wish we could go to Amazon and pick out our own. Although I'd probably end up with a huge stash of opened kindles!
I probably would too. Then go crazy trying to figure out which one is really the best among them
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #281
Yolina
Wizard

Got despatch notice for my replacement, looks like I might get it tomorrow The "big" news is that according to the serial number, it's a 604
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #282
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I probably would too. Then go crazy trying to figure out which one is really the best among them
Yes!

Quote:
Got despatch notice for my replacement, looks like I might get it tomorrow The "big" news is that according to the serial number, it's a 604
Oh interesting! Let us know how it goes. Good luck, I really hope it's a good one for you!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #283
Yolina
Wizard

I can absolutely picture a bunch of us running around the factory trying to find the right Kindle and then all wanting the same one

These must have just come in and someone picked one from the top of the pile for my replacement rather than go and get one from the back of the warehouse or something
Still, no idea what to expect from that one, hopefully good things! Will update as soon as I've got it.

Last edited by Yolina; 02-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #284
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes. It's possible his team leader is listening along to do an evaluation. If he does not follow the script (assuming they use scripts), he'll be hit over the head with it, even if the script is utterly ridiculous.

I know from experience. I've worked in IT-support for some time.

And I got bad evaluations but very happy customers because I often didn't follow scripts. Consistently getting loads and loads of happy customers was my only reason not being kicked out of that support job in the first month.

In the end, tt should have told them that using scripts and hiring people who don't actually *KNOW* what they are doing brings in *LESS* happy customers than hiring *knowledgeable* people and giving them a huge leeway. This would even make support kind of fun to do, as the employee can actually often *achieve something* by doing "out of the box" stuff. But no, they're still using scripts, years after I changed jobs...

(If you wonder: no, I'm not bad at following rules or instructions. However, asking a customer "Could you please reboot your notebook, to see if it solves the problem?" when he has a crack in his screen is utterly pointless. I won't do it. It will gain you the tag "Supreme Idiot" in the first minute of the call, dashing most hopes of ever achieving a solution without the customer getting angry while running through the script.)
Very true and I agree scripts do seem pointless in certain cases. I don't know how much leeway they have at Kindle CS, but I assume not very much. In this case, I do think Andrew did the best he could, he's really been great throughout. It's certainly not his fault the PW has so many issues. I'm sure it can be a thankless job in many instances too, dealing with disgruntled customers all day. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it so kudos to those that do and do it well.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #285
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I can absolutely picture a bunch of us running around the factory trying to find the right Kindle and then all wanting the same one
Me too! Considering how sensitive some of us are to the colors, I think we could spot a color hue free one pretty quickly. Of course, this is assuming they had a color hue free one in the bunch. LOL. I'm convinced they are far and few between at this point, but at some point this has to get fixed surely.

When I got my 603 there was a short time where it looked perfect, I was so excited. Then the colors started to rear their head. So frustrating. Let's hope the 604 is the start of something good. Fingers crossed!