Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
sync epub bookmarks, mac<->iphone - impossible?

Hi all -

My first post here...

I have non-drm epub's I'd like to read on my Mac and iPhone, and have the last-read-page and bookmarks automatically sync. As far as I can tell, it's completely impossible, even by converting to mobi and using Kindle apps.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks...
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
Hi all -

My first post here...

I have non-drm epub's I'd like to read on my Mac and iPhone, and have the last-read-page and bookmarks automatically sync. As far as I can tell, it's completely impossible, even by converting to mobi and using Kindle apps.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks...
You could use Ibis Reader (ibisreader.com), a free ePub reading system. It incorporates free cloud storage, a web browser interface (for your Mac or PC) and a web apps for iPad, iPhone, and some Android smartphones. O'Reilly Publishing bought them several months ago, but it looks like they intend to keep the service up and running indefinitely.

Then there is the Kindle Personal Documents service. At one point this required a Kindle device to get the free cloud storage, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. But if so you can probably get a used one cheaply, just for this purpose. Of course you would need to convert to mobi, and it does not yet support the better KF8 formatting yet.

The Send To Kindle app is available on Mac as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00902880#print

One of the things it is supposed to let you do is to print from any app (such as email, Pages etc.) but Send To Kindle does not appear in the list of 'installed printers' on my Mac.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

tomsem, thanks for your tip.

I checked out ibisreader.com just now. Unfortunately it doesn't sync bookmarks. The desktop browser interface doesn't have bookmarks at all.

As I mentioned, Kindle doesn't work either. I have the Kindle app, and the Send To Kindle and cloud storage works even without a Kindle device. I do get the "Send To Kindle" in my printer list by the way. But it doesn't sync bookmarks or last-page-read to the Mac for Personal Documents, only for the books I bought from Amazon.

So, still seems to be impossible...

Last edited by sumguy; 06-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
tomsem, thanks for your tip.

I checked out ibisreader.com just now. Unfortunately it doesn't sync bookmarks. The desktop browser interface doesn't have bookmarks at all.

As I mentioned, Kindle doesn't work either. I have the Kindle app, and the Send To Kindle and cloud storage works even without a Kindle device. I do get the "Send To Kindle" in my printer list by the way. But it doesn't sync bookmarks or last-page-read to the Mac for Personal Documents, only for the books I bought from Amazon.

So, still seems to be impossible...
I've never quite understood how webapps work, and why Ibis Reader didn't support that with desktop browsers, since they offer the best HTML5 support in general. I guess it is hard enough to build an ePub reader inside a browser.

Yes, I don't use Kindle for Mac much; forgot that it doesn't support PDocs. Perhaps they will get around to adding this in the future. Certainly with Ibis mothballed, Amazon is the closest to having this all work (but I keep hoping Google will attach Play Books to Google Drive so you can upload 3rd party content to their reading system).

What MacOS version are you running BTW? I do have S2K printer on Windows, but not Mac (running 10.7.4).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I've not tried it myself since I only read ebooks on my iPhone but I think I read somewhere that iBooks will sync your bookmarks and last page read.

I remember checking into the option in the Kindle world but found that the only books that actually get synced are the ones you buy through Amazon. You can not add books to your library, even sending them via email, and have them sync. They will be on each device you send them to but if you didn't buy them from Amazon, you are out of luck on the syncing.

If you do anything in the Android world, I have heard that Aldiko will sync books.
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I use ibooks on iphone and ipad and yes it syncs bookmarks even for non-drm ebooks and you don't need itunes either (I use dropbox). I don't have a Mac but I would think it should work with it too.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
sumguy
Connoisseur

@Shykat and frozennorth: iBooks won't work, because there's no iBooks on the desktop (Mac or PC). You can only read iBooks on iPhone/iPad.

@tomsem: I also have 10.7.4... it just showed up in the printer list after installing Send to Kindle.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Hi all -

My first post here...

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks...
That's strange. My non drm books load fine on my ipod touch simply by syncing with itunes.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
sumguy
Connoisseur

Delotte231, how so? I'm not talking about just loading books onto the iPhone/Pad/Pod - there are many ways to do that - but having the bookmarks and last-page-read synchronized to a reader app on the Mac. It seems there is no way to do that, using any combination of apps or readers...

Last edited by sumguy; 07-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I'll try and give it a shot later on. I'll borrow my sis' device. I could have sworn the bookmark got synched as well.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
sumguy
Connoisseur

But sync'd to what? They will sync between iOS devices, but not to the Mac itself, because there's no iBooks for the Mac. How do you read the books on the Mac?

I want to read a book on my phone, and read the same book on my computer screen, and have them in sync. Kindle for Mac + Kindle for iOS do that, but only for books you buy from Amazon.

Guess I'll be waiting for one of three things:
- Kindle adds bookmark / last page sync for personal documents
- Sony releases (i.e., Apple approves) an iPhone app
- Apple releases a Mac app

One of them will happen sooner or later, but for now, there doesn't seem to be any solution...

Last edited by sumguy; 07-09-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
sumguy
Connoisseur

With the release of the Sony iOS app yesterday, it seems it's finally... still impossible!

The app doesn't seem to support syncing of bookmarks or last-page read at all, even for Sony purchased content, nevermind third-party non-DRM books.

And with the release of the iPad Mini with no accompanying Mac iBooks app, it seems hopeless. There's just no way to read a free e-book on your Mac and your iOS device, and keep them in sync...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
sumguy, I think people are completely missing what you need. As far as I know, there is no way to sync between a desktop reader and anything on the iphone (or any other device, whether iOS or not). I suspect the dev who does it will make a fortune. I think there's an assumption that nobody wants to read on the computer anymore. I still do, from time to time, but only in a browser.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
OH. WAIT! Kobo might! you can have a desktop Kobo and read on that, and a Kobo app on your phone and read on that. could try sync between both?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
sumguy
Connoisseur

kyteflyer, thanks for your comments, but I think you are completely missing what I need :-)

What I want is to read and sync non-drm ebooks, i.e., third-party books I load myself. There are several solutions that support reading on the computer and syncing to an iOS app, including Kobo and Kindle, but only with drm books you bought from their store.

As far as I can tell, the new Sony iOS app doesn't even support that. I think it supports it on Android, not sure, but that doesn't help me... I hope it's something they'll add in the future.