Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
zachofalltrades
zachofalltrades began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX80
SunriseXP via wine on linux??

I have been a lover of the SunriseXP + Plucker combination for several years. I no longer have a windows machine on which to run SunriseXP. I have tried to run it via wine on my Ubuntu box, but it fails. Plucker Desktop (java) has versions for each major OS, but PD lacks the RSS support that I have come to depend on in SunriseXP.

Has anyone out there had any success getting SunriseXP to run on linux with wine, or is there another good alternative for rendering RSS/Atom feeds into plucker format?
zachofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachofalltrades View Post
I have been a lover of the SunriseXP + Plucker combination for several years. I no longer have a windows machine on which to run SunriseXP. I have tried to run it via wine on my Ubuntu box, but it fails. Plucker Desktop (java) has versions for each major OS, but PD lacks the RSS support that I have come to depend on in SunriseXP.

Has anyone out there had any success getting SunriseXP to run on linux with wine, or is there another good alternative for rendering RSS/Atom feeds into plucker format?
There's a GtK Linux binary for Sunrise on the Sourceforge site:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=167215

I don't know whether that release supports RSS.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
zachofalltrades
zachofalltrades began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NX80
Thanks, I tried that already -- it does not appear to support RSS, although it does have an option called "create index for newsfeeds" -- this doesn't appear to accomplish anything. But there are options for running scripts, and applying filters and XSL transformations -- has anyone used these features to generate acceptable rendering of RSS / ATOM?

I was under the impression, from something I read on this forum a couple years ago, that Laurens stopped developing Sunrise Desktop in favor of SunriseXP -- in part to work on the RSS support, and in part to get better performance than he could in java.
zachofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachofalltrades View Post
I was under the impression, from something I read on this forum a couple years ago, that Laurens stopped developing Sunrise Desktop in favor of SunriseXP -- in part to work on the RSS support, and in part to get better performance than he could in java.
Something like that. Sunrise was originally a project to implement the Plucker Desktop in Java, and Laurens was part of the Plucker dev team. He later took it closed source, apparently intending to diverge and develop a commercial product with a different viewer. The other Plucker devs starting talking about taking the last open source Java code and continuing to develop an open source fork independantly of Laurens.

Laurens subsequently decided to shift to C++ for performance reasons, and I suspect that's when RSS support got added. He also went open source again. I suspect he decided there wasn't a large enough paying market for a commercial product.

I use Plucker Desktop, in conjunction with Rafael Fetzer's freeware PDA Converter app for Windows to create Plucker files from local HTML. I don't use Plucker Desktop to pluck web sites, and beyond a bit of playing to see what it does and how it works, I've never needed to use Sunrise in the Java or C++ versions.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote