Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #31
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
I created a ticket #2105. Thank you Kovid Goyal!
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #32
berrani
berrani began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
CROP COMICS

Is it possible to manually set the quantity of the crop in comic conversion?

I cannot find the option

Ciao from Italy
berrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it isn't. Is the automatic cropping not working for you?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #34
berrani
berrani began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, it isn't. Is the automatic cropping not working for you?
Yes it works very well.

But I have some comics with page number to the bottom.
As result, I can:

1) leave defualt setting, automatic crop to top, left and right (no crop to the bottom), with wrong image proportion, too wide (circle are oval...)

2) force calibre to maintain proportion of image, but the image resulting is too small, and with sony reader text comic is very difficult to read...

So, manual cropping (forcing cropping also for the bottom, removing page number) could be very useful

berrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

open a ticket to request the feature
Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #36
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I created a ticket #2105. Thank you Kovid Goyal!
Seconded, 90% of the manga I have are in .zip or .rar file extensions.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #37
TevK
TevK doesn't litterTevK doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
.cbz to .mobi?

Has anyone tried converting .cbz to .mobi for viewing comics on the Kindle?

I currently have a Sony PRS-505 and .cbz to .lrf in Calibre works great - but I just preordered the Kindle DX and am curious about the .mobi output.

I tried setting output to .mobi and hitting "convert" in Calibre and it *seemed* to successfully convert a .cbz to a .mobi, but I don't have any way to view it to see.

I've been reading a lot of manga scanlations on my PRS-505, and I look forward to reading them on the bigger screen of the Kindle DX...
TevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #38
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Just wondering if zip/rar archived comic files are automatically recognized, will it interfere with other ebook format recognition / usage?

For instance, when loading EPUB is calibre going to handle it like a comic simply because it is a zipped file? Perhaps a setting in preferences is best? Or asking on a per file basis (annoying, but allows the greatest latitude)?
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When I get around to implementing it, there will be a setting that you toggle to control how archive files are processed.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #40
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TevK View Post
Has anyone tried converting .cbz to .mobi for viewing comics on the Kindle?

I currently have a Sony PRS-505 and .cbz to .lrf in Calibre works great - but I just preordered the Kindle DX and am curious about the .mobi output.

I tried setting output to .mobi and hitting "convert" in Calibre and it *seemed* to successfully convert a .cbz to a .mobi, but I don't have any way to view it to see.

I've been reading a lot of manga scanlations on my PRS-505, and I look forward to reading them on the bigger screen of the Kindle DX...
Yep, I've tried it for my CyBook (same 6" screen as Sony) but it only works good for comics that are made in pocketbook size. I've tried with bigger page sizes and landscape mode (page is sideways and cut into two 6" screens) but it just cuts pages in half sometimes even cutting texts... (scrolling would be better)

You can test your mobi-files with in-built viewer of calibre!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #41
TevK
TevK doesn't litterTevK doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I got an email from Amazon, I should be getting my Kindle DX at the end of next week!

I can't wait to try using Calibre to convert some manga to .mobi... I'll have to figure out the best settings to use for the DX's screen size.

Manga works great on the PRS-505, hopefully it'll be even better on the DX!
TevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #42
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Should any of the settings be changed at all? I thought that since the 505 only has 8 shades, the colours setting should be changed to 8 instead of 64. Was that a mistake? My comics are in black and white to begin with.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can change it to 8 but it shouldn't make an appreciable difference and with 64 your files will look good ona computer screen and future readers as well.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #44
fantafrik
fantafrik began at the beginning.

Hello:

I have found an annoyance on cbr files. Sometimes the conversion to other formats fails because inside the upper rar there are other rar files containing multiple volumes of comics. The cdisplay application shows the books perfectly instead. This could be aborded by a recursive call while there are compressed files inside the main volume.

This is my first post on the forum so I dont know if this is the correct place to indicate this.
fantafrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre does not handle archives of archives. Nor is it on my TODO list, however, patches are welcome.

Tags
cbz, comic