Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
DR and the Mac's "hidden" files

As someone who owns a Mac and a PC, I have this question about copying files to the DR.

I've copied files to other media devices from my Mac and the "hidden" files, which never show up on a Mac, show up. Sometimes I have to scroll through tons of these files before I actually get to the music I want to play.

Does this happen with the DR also? Will these hidden files be a pain in the neck? If so, should I only use my PC to transfer files to the DR?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
What are the file names? Anything that starts with a "." or "_" is hidden on the interface.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
What are the file names? Anything that starts with a "." or "_" is hidden on the interface.
yeap, those are they _ds_store I think is one of them and the other is a copy of the file name starting with a .
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yep... there was another thread about this. There is a utility to remove them... but I don't remember the name of it and can't find it when searching. I'm sure someone will pipe up with the name of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Bebook problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
yeap, those are they _ds_store I think is one of them and the other is a copy of the file name starting with a .
The app is called Hidden Cleaner (v1.2.1) - get it at one of these places, or google for it:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...hidden-cleaner

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/34318

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utiliti...-Cleaner.shtml

http://www.crocpom.fr/backus/downloa...aner_1.2.1.dmg

I found it a little counter-intuitive until I figured it out. The best way to use it is install it, run it, and you'll get a little info message. Before clicking "OK" go to the dock icon, access the context menu (ctrl-click, right-click or click-and-hold to get it to appear) and choose "Keep In Dock." Now you can quit.

You don't have to run the app - the way it works is, when you're finished with your USB drive you drag its icon over the Hidden Cleaner Dock icon (rather than the trash can) and release it to eject - a message will appear asking if you want to eject, so select OK and it will spend a few seconds clearing off all the hidden stuff, then eject the drive. Wait until the drive icon disappears and you can unplug it.

I have found that sometimes it will clean the drive but not eject (the app quits but the drive remains mounted) - in that case just repeat the process and it will probably immediately eject - there must be some timeout or something.

Et violà! - after all, it is a French software tool, so Freedom-Fries supporters beware!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
omro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post

Et violà! - after all, it is a French software tool, so Freedom-Fries supporters beware!
tres manifique, merci beaucoup
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
fxn
fxn began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
unmac

Just for the archives, my DR 1000S was a motivation for writing a command-line cleaner. It is called unmac:

http://github.com/fxn/unmac/tree/master
fxn is offline   Reply With Quote