Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Series Info and Kobo

Hey all...

I did a search here but couldn't find anything, so here's my question.

I love the series function on Calibre--especially since it lets me keep track of which book is next on my Kobo. However, I've noticed that the series info seems to be inconsistent about appearing on my Kobo.

I've got it chosen, with the book number, for a series. However, when I sideload books to my Kobo Touch, sometimes the series info doesn't appear on the Kobo. I've tried deleting the books and reloading them, but no joy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
I love the series function on Calibre--especially since it lets me keep track of which book is next on my Kobo. However, I've noticed that the series info seems to be inconsistent about appearing on my Kobo.
I'm unsure how the Kobo handles Series metadata, but many folks use metadata plugboards to insert series info in the title on the fly while sending books to the device.

Quote:
However, when I sideload books to my Kobo Touch, sometimes the series info doesn't appear on the Kobo. I've tried deleting the books and reloading them, but no joy.
Are you correctly side loading your books by clicking the Send to device icon? Simply copying the books via a file manager will not update the metadata in the books.

Hopefully a knowledgeable Kobo owner will provide more detailed info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm unsure how the Kobo handles Series metadata, but many folks use metadata plugboards to insert series info in the title on the fly while sending books to the device.
I don't use this, no. But as I said, my question's about it being spotty in terms of success--on some books it shows up on the Kobo, on some it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Are you correctly side loading your books by clicking the Send to device icon? Simply copying the books via a file manager will not update the metadata in the books.

Hopefully a knowledgeable Kobo owner will provide more detailed info.
Yes, I always use the "Send to Device"--I have an SD card, so it's the quickest and easiest way to get books from my libary to the card itself.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
@Corpsegoddess, if you're using the last Kobo driver (dadivfor o jougyen -or something like this, I don't really remember, sorry-) and you have set up automatic metadata management, the process is this:
1.- Send to device - No series info
2.- Eject device - Kobo collects the new books
3.- Connect the device again - The first step is managing metadata: sending series info to device
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
@Corpsegoddess, if you're using the last Kobo driver (dadivfor o jougyen -or something like this, I don't really remember, sorry-) and you have set up automatic metadata management, the process is this:
1.- Send to device - No series info
2.- Eject device - Kobo collects the new books
3.- Connect the device again - The first step is managing metadata: sending series info to device
That sounds basically like what I do. But again, I'm trying to figure out why it works on some books and not others.

For example, I have 6 Jack Reacher books. They're all marked as "series: Jack Reacher" with their corresponding numbers. I check to make sure that the metadata info is there when I convert them to epubs. I send the books to my device the usual way. When I look at the books in my list of books on my Kobo, 3 will show the series info, 3 will not (I'm just picking a random number here).

This is what I'm trying to determine--what's going on with those books that aren't showing the info, even when they seem identical to the ones that are, and are sent over at the same time.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

This is what I'm trying to determine--what's going on with those books that aren't showing the info, even when they seem identical to the ones that are, and are sent over at the same time.
Did those books exist on the Kobo Prior to adding the Series data (You are now sending an Updated version) ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did those books exist on the Kobo Prior to adding the Series data (You are now sending an Updated version) ?
That's a good question. I'm not sure. But I don't think I have things set up to send an "updated version"; it usually sends a duplicate, I think.

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do also remember that while some of the 2.x series of firmware did the sorting by the series data and title, the current 2.4.0 is back to only sorting by title.

On the previous versions, a sort by title was doing more like a sort by series, series index, and then title.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do also remember that while some of the 2.x series of firmware did the sorting by the series data and title, the current 2.4.0 is back to only sorting by title.

On the previous versions, a sort by title was doing more like a sort by series, series index, and then title.
Right. My issue is more that when I'm looking at the books in my list, whether it's sorted by author or title, the series info that appears under the title is completely missing for some of my books I've loaded, even though it's there in their metadata on Calibre.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you followed the steps that Terisa gave it should work. The two reasons it won't is if the series option is not checked in the configuration dialog and the metadata management option is not set to automatic. The latter is on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences.

If both are set correctly, could you run a debug session for me an post the log. Before connecting the device, open calibre and the device configuration. In the debug field at the bottom put the name of a book that isn't working. Save this and restart calibre in debug mode. Then connect the device, wait for the sync jobs to finish and close calibre. Then a window will open with the log. Post or send me the contents.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

I'll check both those things and get back to you. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just encountered the same thing, as far as I have noticed this is the first time it has happened:

I deleted two books of a series from the device,
Plugged device in, sent (modified) books from Calibre to device, ejected device,
Plugged device in, ejected device,
Only the second book shows series info,
Plugged the device back in, ejected device,
Now both books show correct series info.

This is Calibre 0.9.20 (with Kobo touch beta driver) on Linux, Kobo Glo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
This is happening with my driver? I'd be interested in a debug log as davidfor described above, if you could reproduce this again.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you followed the steps that Terisa gave it should work. The two reasons it won't is if the series option is not checked in the configuration dialog and the metadata management option is not set to automatic. The latter is on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences.

If both are set correctly, could you run a debug session for me an post the log. Before connecting the device, open calibre and the device configuration. In the debug field at the bottom put the name of a book that isn't working. Save this and restart calibre in debug mode. Then connect the device, wait for the sync jobs to finish and close calibre. Then a window will open with the log. Post or send me the contents.
As to the second part of your first paragraph--no, I didn't have automatic management on. So I've changed that.

Where is the configuration dialogue located?

And so, just to make sure I'm reading this right...

I checked the "Sending books to devices" in Preferences, and it looks like right now it's just the default (authors/titles and authors), with a list of the available variables below it.

Do I need to manually add any of those variables? And if so, what's the language used to add them (ie. just type it and separate by comma, or what)? The reason I ask is that it looks like there's a couple of different options there (both a "/" and a "-" are used).

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Edit: Okay, I think I see now--there's an edit template. Let me try that.
Edit edit: Well, that adds "series" and "series_index" to the default, but there's no {} around them, and nothing separating them. So I guess my original question still stands.

Sorry for the confusion on my part--I'm mostly ignorant about coding.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 03-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For the following steps, sorry if the spelling is not exact, my calibre interface is set to Spanish:

Quote:
As to the second part of your first paragraph--no, I didn't have automatic management on. So I've changed that.

Where is the configuration dialogue located?
Preferences => Change Calibre Behaviour => Plugins => Device Interface Plugins => Kobo Touch (2.0.5) by David Forrester

Quote:
And so, just to make sure I'm reading this right...

I checked the "Sending books to devices" in Preferences, and it looks like right now it's just the default (authors/titles and authors), with a list of the available variables below it.

Do I need to manually add any of those variables? And if so, what's the language used to add them (ie. just type it and separate by comma, or what)? The reason I ask is that it looks like there's a couple of different options there (both a "/" and a "-" are used).

Thanks, as always, for the help.

Edit: Okay, I think I see now--there's an edit template. Let me try that.
Edit edit: Well, that adds "series" and "series_index" to the default, but there's no {} around them, and nothing separating them. So I guess my original question still stands.

Sorry for the confusion on my part--I'm mostly ignorant about coding.
You have to modify the template only if you want to change the way the books are stored in the device (folder, file name..) but it has no effect in your library. In this screen you only have to set "Metadata Management" to "Automatic Management".

I hope I've read you well.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote