Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Gabbar
Gabbar began at the beginning.

Device: ipod Touch 8 GB (Fall 2009)
Reading Sanskrit documents on ipod Touch

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum.

Am considering to buy ipod Touch as a ebook-reader-cum-pocket-computer.

I tried reading Sanskrit documents (Veda & Upanishads) on my friend's ipod touch. Faced the following problems:

a) GoodReader rendered the Sanskrit beautifully (it did not have any complex script issues - described later on). But reading required horizontal scrolling (a few taps for each line) which was quite cumbersome. And unfortunately GoodReader could not reflow the Sanskrit docs.

b) Stanza could convert the pdf to a single font epub ebook. So documents having Sanskrit text and English translations of Sanskrit could not get rendered properly. Either the English text would show (if appropriate font was chosen) or the Sanskrit text would show (with poor rendering).

c) A Sanskrit only pdf document converted to epub would render properly on the Stanza viewer on Windows XP. But when transferred to the ipod, the Stanza app did not render the Sanskrit complex script properly. Specifically the half characters - like in the Sanskrit word Agni, ga is a half character and then we have full character consonant na and vowel e - are not combined properly and so make reading the badly rendered Sanskrit quite painful. [I am sorry I am not able to include images showing the correct rendering and the incorrect one and so folks not knowing Sanskrit would have difficulty in understanding what I have said.] In Windows XP one faces the same problem if one does not choose complex script rendering option [Install Files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)].

d) Tried Calibre but the resultant epub book faced the same problems as mentioned above (b & c).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess buying a larger form factor ebook reader would allow me to view the full pdf page and solve almost all of the above mentioned problems (so long as the pdf rendering program handles complex scripts like Sanskrit). But I intend to do a lot of my reading while I am walking indoors [Helps me keep fit :-)] for which I am more comfortable with an around 3.5 inch form factor. Further, I like the general purpose pocket computer (though proprietary and closed) aspect of the ipod Touch and its large number of available Apps.

Thanks in Advance

Gabbar

Last edited by Gabbar; 11-08-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Gabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Gabbar

No responses :-(

I experimented and am now able to read Sanskrit/Hindi docs comfortably on the ipod Touch with some extra work per PDF document. For details see: http://gabbarsing.blogspot.com/2009/...s-on-ipod.html

I thought of adding the link just in case others face a similar problem.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Gabbar; 12-06-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Hi Gabbar, thanks for the link! I don't have an ipod touch, but I have been looking into buying one. My friends and I have started a group for Sanskrit self-study, and I use my Sony PRS-505 to read text for now; Devanagari script shows up fine in PDF. If I do end up getting an ipod touch or an iphone it would be nice to be able to load text on there as well. Glad to meet another person on this forum that is interested in Sanskrit, perhaps we can trade study tips sometime! Mind you, I have just started with my study, so I probably won't be of much help to you!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Gabbar

Hi LatinAndGreek,

I am very happy to see somebody from Croatia showing interest in Sanskrit.

My interest in Sanskrit, as of now, is limited to understanding its usage in Vedanta. As I know other Indian languages I am able to guess the meaning of a few Sanskrit words used in Vedanta. For the rest I depend on a translator who gives a word-by-word translation into English.

In your quest for learning Sanskrit, you may find the following sites of interest:

http://acharya.iitm.ac.in/sanskrit/tutor.php

http://www.chitrapurmath.net/sanskrit/sanskrit.asp

Note that if you face display problems you can try using Internet Explorer.

All the best!!!

Gabbar

Last edited by Gabbar; 12-06-2009 at 12:45 PM.