Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
NickyF
NickyF doesn't litterNickyF doesn't litterNickyF doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Downloading help

I'm a UK Sony 505 owner who has just discovered Books on Board and have found lots of great ebooks to buy that aren't available here in the UK. When I buy in the UK from the Waterstones site the books are in the adobe 'epub' format and I have the software from Waterstones on my computer so that they go straight into my adobe library. Most of the books I'd like from BOB are in the adobe 'digital editions' format, so (silly nooby question coming up!) does this mean that I can buy books in the digital editions format and they'll go into my library alongside my epub books or do I need to download more software to handle this format?

Your help would be gratefully received - I'm itching to press the 'buy' button, just trying not to think about the dreadful (from my point of view) exchange rate at the moment!!

Many thanks, and sorry if this isn't in the correct part of the forum

Nicky
NickyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am not a sony person, but I have seen documentation on DE at my library which says it works on the Sony if you have a certain version of the softwear installed.

Press 'buy' now!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
If the adobe file is DRM'd then you will need Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to transfer the file to your Reader. I suspect, but not 100% sure, that any adobe format ebook you get from BoB will be DRM'd.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Here is the download link for the software from my library site:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS505
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm low tech and not interested in learning high tech, so believe me when I tell you this is easy. Download an Adobe DE book to a folder on your desktop, then import them into the Sony library. Will probably work just as well if you simply drag the icon onto your 505 icon in "My Computer."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Don't buy a bundle of books to start. Just buy one for testing. When I transfer Adobe Digital Edition books to my PRS-505 the formatting gets roughed up. It may just be the individual books I bought, I don't know for sure.

Things to look for.
- Initial font size is very, very small with huge 1.5" margins.
- With PRS-505 enlarged font size , (+), I loose right justification.

The following all occur with enlarged font size:
- Page numbers don't match between book and reader.
- It takes 2-3 page turns to make it through one book page.
- Unexpected line breaks.
- Unexpected page breaks.
- Extra (empty) lines.

If you aren't bothered by the formating, the content is still the same.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Don't buy a bundle of books to start. Just buy one for testing. When I transfer Adobe Digital Edition books to my PRS-505 the formatting gets roughed up. It may just be the individual books I bought, I don't know for sure.
The formatting problems you encounter are due to pdf ebooks. PDFs to not read well on most 6" e-ink devices but Sony attempts to reflow the text. The result is not perfect but definitely readable (with a few quirks). A single page number is fixed no matter how big you make the font. The largest font may break the pdf page into 3 pages on your Reader and all 3 pages will have the same page numbers. Hope that isn't too confusing. Unfortunately, some websites don't tell you whether you are downloaded a pdf or epub file.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
NickyF
NickyF doesn't litterNickyF doesn't litterNickyF doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Thanks for all your help - I think I'll just bite the bullet and hit the 'buy' button!
NickyF is offline   Reply With Quote