Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
rbaldwin
rbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Calibre can't access my drives?

I just installed 0.9.41 on Windows 7 Professional.
When I try to add books and browse to Computer and drive I get an error

Location is not available
c:\ is not accessible
access is denied

I get this for all drives.

I am able to access my personal folder
C:\Users\Rod

This is my personal PC. I am admin on it.

I also get this error when I run caliber as administrator.
rbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
rbaldwin

i uninstalled and installed 0.9.32 and everything is now fine.
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
i uninstalled and installed 0.9.32 and everything is now fine.
But that's not a good enough solution

Are you able/willing to do some investigatory tests ?

First up was this using the 64bit or the 32bit version ?

If 64bit perhaps you could try the 32 bit version of 0.9.41 - no need to uninstall 64bit 0.9.32

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
rbaldwin

sure, I don't mind. but before I do.
could you answer a couple questions that will ease my mind with respect to not loosing my library data.

1. my books are on an external drive. when I added them to calibre it looks like they've been copied to C:\Users\Rod\Documents\Calibre Library\Author
is that true for all books? or just converted books? Are all my books that I've added now both in the original location as well as \Calibre Library ?

2. can I move where calibre stores my library - could I move this folder C:\Users\Rod\Documents\Calibre Library to an external drive? how do I tell calibre that I've done that?

FYI - my pc is 64 bit. the version currently working is 64 bit. But, I don't know if I installed 32 or 64 bit originally.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
1. Yes - Calibre always makes a copy of books when it adds them to the calibre library. Whether you keep the original copy outside Calibre as a backup or is up to you.

2. If you right-click the Library icon there is an option to move the library to a new location.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldwin View Post
FYI - my pc is 64 bit. the version currently working is 64 bit. But, I don't know if I installed 32 or 64 bit originally.
If its 64 bit it will show it in bottom left corner - if its 32bit it will only have the version number.

Most (all ?) of these 'permission' problems seem to occur with the 64bit version, sometimes installing the 32 bit version overcomes the problem.

However, I don't recall anyone else getting this error at the drive level, its most often in the Temp folder.

So if you have the 64bit version could you install and try the 32bit version. You can have both versions installed, they use the same configuration data, which should be in your AppData/Roaming folder.

If you have the 32 bit version you could try the 64bit version, although I'm not as hopeful it would overcome the problem.

Be interesting to know what happens when you move the libraries to an external drive.

BR
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I'm seeing a similar, possibly releated, problem with v0.9.42. Everything that is failing in my 0.9.42 installation worked in my previous v0.9.38 installation.

I'm running 32bit Calibre on 64bit Win8. At the system level, my default app for .MOBI files is Kindle Previewer. Calibre is running well and accesses my library (2 folders down inside of My Documents) to add and convert books.

What fails is Calibre's access to the books when clicking on the format in the Book Details panel (no response of any sort when it should be passing the book to the system's default handler which is Kindle Preview in my case). Also the Open With pluging fails with an error message:

calibre, version 0.9.42
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>: (2, 'CreateProcess', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.open_with.action", line 178, in open_with
File "calibre_plugins.open_with.action", line 221, in launch_app
error: (2, 'CreateProcess', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

The Open Folder Containing function opens the proper book folder in an Explorer window and double clicking the book opens Kindle Previewer properly, which proves the system level association of MOBI with Kindle Previewer is correctly set.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
dwig
Could this be a firewall/permissions issue? Some of the modules may have changed just enough to now be blocked.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@dwig: that's an error in the open with plugin, not in calibre. Try disabling/uninstalling it. Or re-configure it with whatever settings you need, the default it uses for mobi probably isn't correct for win 8.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
What fails is Calibre's access to the books when clicking on the format in the Book Details panel (no response of any sort when it should be passing the book to the system's default handler which is Kindle Preview in my case).
If changing, uninstalling Open With does not solve your problem then:

What happens if in Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for you check MOBI - does the calibre viewer kick in when you click on the MOBI in Book Details - this won't disturb what you have in the OS.

If it does then this will confirm that its the 'link' between calibre and the Kindle Preview program that's not working, rather than the link between calibre and the MOBI

Do you have another file type that uses an external viewer in your library that you can test, e.g. a PDF, if so can you click on it to fire up your PDF viewer.
BR