Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Simple linux fastboot installing command

Here is a simple command to install the yifanlu-fastboot on any debian-based linux i386 (or and x86_64 with multiarch-support and ia32-libs installed (If wine works, then you don't need anything else, it will pull the deps)) system libusb-1.0.0 (tested on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin LTS). It may or may not work on another linux family, but it's worth a try:
Code:
sudo wget http://www.sudoforlunch.org/fastboot -O /usr/bin/fastboot && sudo chmod -cvR a+x /usr/bin/fastboot

Last edited by aditya3098; 12-22-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: 64-bit multiarch-support and ia32-libs
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
sohmc
sohmc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Does fastboot need to be installed into /usr/bin? Seems that it would be better (and more secure) just to run it from the home directory and use sudo as necessary.
sohmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohmc View Post
Does fastboot need to be installed into /usr/bin? Seems that it would be better (and more secure) just to run it from the home directory and use sudo as necessary.
No. It will run from any directory, but then after the "cd" you need to do a "sudo ./fastboot" (notice the "dot-slash") instead of just "sudo fastboot" (or an "su" command for people who like to run with scissors).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Just to be picky:

I usually go for one-liners in this style instead, but it's more of a personnal choice, and the fact that I have a semi-smart sudo function aliased to 's' in my zshrc, meaning I don't mind spamming sudo, and I still mostly save keystrokes over quotes/parentheses ^^.
(I don't like to cd for a one-liner, even in a subshell, and don't like to chain stuff without making sure the first part successfully exited):

sudo wget http://www.sudoforlunch.co.cc/fastboot -O /usr/bin/fastboot && sudo chmod -cvR a+x /usr/bin/fastboot

(Same goes for chmod -cvR, it's pretty much how I always call chmod, so it's pretty automatic for me, and I guess the fact that I almost never use octal perms is my small way to get back at maths? . In the same vein, ls usually means ls -lash for me ).

And geekmaster probably meant "sudo ./fastboot", not "./sudo fastboot", since you probably want to run the *fastboot* binary in the current directory, not sudo, which should already be part of your system and in your $PATH .

If that didn't make any kind of sense whatsoever, my bad, I'm running on a couple of hours of sleep, so I'm pretty out of it ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I usually go for one-liners in this style instead
Don't we all? How else can we use the command history? Here is one of my recent one-liners (from the "getkernels" thread):
PHP Code:
set $(hexdump -C mmcblk0.img|grep -B2 Linux-|head -n1);bs=1024;skip=$((0x$1/$bs));shift 13;count=$(((0x$1$2$3$4+$bs-1)/$bs));echo "skip=$skip count=$count";dd if=mmcblk0.img of=kernel.img bs=$bs skip=$skip count=$count 
Quote:
In the same vein, ls usually means ls -lash for me ).
I am fond of "ls -lart".
Quote:
And geekmaster probably meant "sudo ./fastboot", not "./sudo fastboot", since you probably want to run the *fastboot* binary in the current directory, not sudo, which should already be part of your system and in your $PATH .
Oops... fixed in above post.
Quote:
I'm running on a couple of hours of sleep, so I'm pretty out of it ^^.
I have been running on a couple of hours of sleep since I was a child (since I read about how Leonardo DaVinci lived on two hours of sleep per day). I takes a lot of focus, will-power, and persistence (and a lot of coding with one eye open because they are pointing in different directions, especially after a continuous three-day coding binge).

sudoforlunch

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, I tend to go the complete opposite way when actually writing stuff down, with a lot of over-long variable names, and useless comments, and 8 chars long tabs, because I'm always worried I'll forget what or why I did something...; as opposed to pulling things mostly out of thin air for one-time stuff, where I'll try to be more concise .

Yup, ls -t/-r is mighty useful too!

Heh, I wish I could! Unfortunately, I really need at least 6 good hours, preferably more, or I end up being either the living dead, or a bit too overexcited and/or tipsy...

Ha! xkcd is awesome .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh sudoforlunch Indeed
Code:
su -c "cd /usr/bin ; wget http://www.sudoforlunch.co.cc/fastboot ; chmod 777 fastboot"
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
aditya3098
Guru

The URL is updated, along with the rest of the command, and I added a warning that it was only for i386
Old 12-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
The URL is updated, along with the rest of the command, and I added a warning that it was only for i386
scratch that "i386 only" - it works absolutely smoothly on x86_64, assuming some compatibility libraries are installed. Not sure what they're called (i.e., which package that is), but IIRC installing wine will automatically pull them as a dependency.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
aditya3098
Guru

I think you mean multiarch-support and ia32-libs. Glad it works.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Linux Mint. (has wine). 32 bit. Works fine. Thanks.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:06 AM   #12
MaximKalinyuk
MaximKalinyuk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Oh sudoforlunch Indeed
Code:
su -c "cd /usr/bin ; wget http://www.sudoforlunch.co.cc/fastboot ; chmod 777 fastboot"
404 not found. Non of the links are working. Help please. How can I get fastboot for linux???
MaximKalinyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #13
dom123dom
Zealot
dom123dom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 WiFi 4Gb 2013 (s/n 9017..)
also looking for fastboot for linux....

can someone help me with how to compile this on ubuntu? (I'm a linux noob!)
https://github.com/yifanlu/Fastboot-Kindle
dom123dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
make
Same as found in the README file for OSx.
Provide you have the build essentials installed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #15
dom123dom
Zealot
dom123dom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 WiFi 4Gb 2013 (s/n 9017..)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
make
Same as found in the README file for OSx.
Provide you have the build essentials installed.
Ah that's great news, I feel silly for not thinking of trying that! Thanks again for your advice.
dom123dom is offline   Reply With Quote