Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
Thank you

I know you are supposed to do the introductions in the "Introductions Forum", but I just got a Pocket eDGE for Christmas from my wife. I read this entire forum and want to thank Pablob for his Golden Allmine. and Javese for the LCD2Ink app. I did the golden allmine update 10 minutes after unwrapping my edge. After I found a good gapps.zip I got it to work (three tries.) Then I got my favorite live-wallpaper working ... thank you tarvoke! My day of Ubuntu wallpaper is working great!

So to all of you...thank you!

MissileMax

Just a couple tips I have found when starting new:
1: the gapps.zip file should have two immediate sub directories "META-INF" and "system". A few gapps.zip I have found just had all the google apps in the root folder of the zip drive, and these do not work.
2: To get the livewallpaper to work I had to find a good "LiveWallpapersPicker.apk" I tried several and usually got a "parse error". When I found one that could be opened by the package installer I used ES File Explorer to "Copy to" my "system/app" folder and change the permissions.
3: I had to mess with LCD2ink alot to get it working, including uninstalling and reinstalling it. Now it works great...just don't give up.

4: Never map the "home" button to the edge's "Screen Lock" app.

What a great device! I put graffiti on it as my keyboard...like my old palm pilot!

Again, Thank you all. And I love my eDGe!
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Almost forgot...if you hold the power button to "On" and hold "menu" for 4 seconds...it resets your pocket edge.
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
the gaps needed are http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-hdp...114-signed.zip
rename them as gaps.zip while using rc3 pablob golden ermine ( on same sd / usb)
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to MobileRead and the eDGe forum, MissileMax!

I did not know about the "on" plus "menu" trick!

Hope you'll continue to enjoy your PE.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
MissileMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
the gaps needed are http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-hdp...114-signed.zip
rename them as gaps.zip while using rc3 pablob golden ermine ( on same sd / usb)
That one works perfectly.
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
thought so
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
MissileMax

I started to get tired of finding a paperclip to reset the eDGe when I started to play with different apparently that were not made for the eDGe...I tried pressing and holding different key comboss when it locked up and discovered the ON+MENU=RESET by accident. Now if only I can speed up the Boot process.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileMax View Post
I started to get tired of finding a paperclip to reset the eDGe when I started to play with different apparently that were not made for the eDGe...I tried pressing and holding different key comboss when it locked up and discovered the ON+MENU=RESET by accident. Now if only I can speed up the Boot process.
Nice find.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Completely off topic tekkno but have you managed to replace your switch yet ?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Completely off topic tekkno but have you managed to replace your switch yet ?
No

Every time I pass by the soldering iron and the box of power switches I say I'm going to do it, but have not done it yet. Ignorance has really got the best of me here. I'm embarassed to say that I have not even tried it yet. BTW I found the correct switch too. The other one might have worked, but this one here is more like the one we have on the PE. Both switches are made by the same company though.

I just set up two PEs for my kids using the Golden Allmine and I have one more to set up for my wife. I've been focusing on learning how to get APPS2SD functionality on the PE so I'm using that as an excuse for the moment.

Say, how about me sending you the board and switches and you giving it a go. How much would it cost me?

Last edited by tekknogenius; 12-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
No

Every time I pass by the soldering iron and the box of power switches I say I'm going to do it, but have not done it yet. Ignorance has really got the best of me here. I'm embarassed to say that I have not even tried it yet. BTW I found the correct switch too. The other one might have worked, but this new one is the exact one we have on the PE.

I just set up two PEs for my kids using the Golden Allmine and I have one more to set up for my wife. I've been focusing on learning how to get APPS2SD functionality on the PE so I'm using that as an excuse for the moment.
It can be daunting if you've never done it before, that is why I said to practice on a scrap circuit board first - no loss if you make mistakes.

What is the part number for the exact replacement? I can then add it to my small, but growing, list of replacement parts.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
It can be daunting if you've never done it before, that is why I said to practice on a scrap circuit board first - no loss if you make mistakes.

What is the part number for the exact replacement? I can then add it to my small, but growing, list of replacement parts.
I put the link in the previous post. Here is the link to the digikey page for the PE power switch
Digikey Part #: 401-2006-6-ND
Manufacturer Part #:JSM08022SAQNL
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
I put the link in the previous post. Here is the link to the digikey page for the PE power switch
Digikey Part #: 401-2006-6-ND
Manufacturer Part #:JSM08022SAQNL
Thanks for that, I'll give the information to my parts guy tomorrow for his little list - maybe it will stop him wanting to take my EE apart to make a list for that.

The next thing we need to find is a replacement battery for the PE.