Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #1576
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I agree. I look at some of my ~120 (this includes freebies) books and wonder why I even have them.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #1577
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've just about decided I'm going to stop buying daily deals and using Kobo coupons and buy whatever I went to read when I'm ready to read it. I'm positive I'll save money AND read better books.

I feel like Winston Smith and Big Brother: at long last, I love the Big Six.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #1578
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've just about decided I'm going to stop buying daily deals and using Kobo coupons and buy whatever I went to read when I'm ready to read it. I'm positive I'll save money AND read better books.
I've come to that same conclusion. The only books I plan to buy are from series I'm reading as they come on sale. I've been on a buying spree in the past 6 months that was fun, but I probably will never read all the books I bought...which are then no bargain, however inexpensive.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #1579
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's time to repeat the suggested purchasing rules worked out in this thread:

1. Add to wish list rather than buying
  2. Only buy if on special offer and on your wish list
  3. Only exception is most recent in series by favourite authors.

Perhaps the first needs to be amended slightly
"Add to wish list rather than buying if you're certain you'll want to read the book"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #1580
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, pdurrant. I cut and pasted your post onto a sticky note to serve as a daily reminder. I amended #3 (for myself): Only exceptions are most recent in series by favorite authors and the current selection of the MR Book Club.

My pledge to myself is to keep to these guidelines now and throughout 2013.

So far, I read 182 books this year (most recently Moby Dick, long on my TBR list) and will most likely finish 4-5 more before New Year's Day. Still, at that rate, I own enough books to keep me busy for perhaps seven more years. Ridiculous.
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #1581
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
To anyone who could finish Moby Dick, a heartfelt congratulations!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #1582
BelleZora
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
To anyone who could finish Moby Dick, a heartfelt congratulations!
Thank you. After many failed starts over several decades, I owe it all to Audible. I read along on one Kindle while listening on the other. I really liked about one out of every 4-5 chapters and now I'm fascinated with whales so it was worth the effort.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #1583
Gregory Faccone
Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregory Faccone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Time is Valuable

It can be easy to get caught up in free or discounted books. But reading is a very personal experience. I do not think we would spend 15, 20, 25 hours watching a movie we thought bad, or even one we just thought alright.

Our time is a precious commodity. Read what you like/want.
Gregory Faccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #1584
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just purchased three ebooks that were on my TBR list. Two of them were #4 and #5 in a series I've been reading. Their price went from $9.99 to $1.48 so ...

Again BoB was the lowest price.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #1585
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I just purchased three ebooks that were on my TBR list. Two of them were #4 and #5 in a series I've been reading. Their price went from $9.99 to $1.48 so ...

Again BoB was the lowest price.
The advantage of a long-ish TBR. A good purchase, Fbone!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #1586
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The advantage of a long-ish TBR. A good purchase, Fbone!
Yes, I thought so too. I read the first three in the series and was waiting for a price drop to pick up the remaining two titles. He concluded the series with #5.

Since the cost of the two books were less than $4.75, I added another TBR title using the 50% off code which brought it down to $2.50. This title is a new author to me.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #1587
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
all I want for Christmas is the ability to read in my sleep

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #1588
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
all I want for Christmas is the ability to read in my sleep

applesauce
I never thought of that. Now I want that too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #1589
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
... I got a 60 dollar giftcard to Dito ( one of the major swedish e-book stores) for christmas. And I have no idea what to get . Except that I know I don't want to blow it too fast...

Edit: And I just discovered that their giftcards isn't tied to your account . Appearantly you have to enter the information each time you buy a book. And since they don't have a cart... Oh well. At least the book cost just 6 dollar, not 16 dollar....

Last edited by mikaelalind; 12-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #1590
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I am happy to report that I have only bought 3 books in the past week - all three heavily marked down. I resisted buying more of one series with one 65% off coupon because it was only 25 cents less to buy it at regular price on Amazon (and I could get a deal on the audiobook). So, I can hold off on that until my Mom gets to book 7.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote