Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #106
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Oh no I was suppose to do a factory reset? Sorry for the confusion on topic, the thread took a different direction discussing different Samsungs and I tried to get back to the SGP5, and meant my KFHD! My brain was fried on electronic gadgets. Sorry.

I am playing with both gadgets and I get really confused on controlling functions.

Should I still do a factory reset? It seems to be working okay. Wi Fi switch was not responding though.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Oh no I was suppose to do a factory reset? Sorry for the confusion on topic, the thread took a different direction discussing different Samsungs and I tried to get back to the SGP5, and meant my KFHD! My brain was fried on electronic gadgets. Sorry.

I am playing with both gadgets and I get really confused on controlling functions.

Should I still do a factory reset? It seems to be working okay. Wi Fi switch was not responding though.
Did you restart the device and see if that fixes it? Anytime you uninstall something like that always restart to clear out files that can only be deleted when you restart.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #108
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Did you restart the device and see if that fixes it? Anytime you uninstall something like that always restart to clear out files that can only be deleted when you restart.
Hmmm..... don't remember. Off to go shut down and restart.

I did noticed when I used the KFHD last night it was at 93%, then I force closed Audible because it shows running application. So this morning it was still at 93%, so I think Audible sucks the battery juice up. My battery had completely died unattended for 4-5 days while I played with the SGP5 and PW.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm..... don't remember. Off to go shut down and restart.

I did noticed when I used the KFHD last night it was at 93%, then I force closed Audible because it shows running application. So this morning it was still at 93%, so I think Audible sucks the battery juice up. My battery had completely died unattended for 4-5 days while I played with the SGP5 and PW.
Audible has an exit button be sure to use it to close the app properly.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #110
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Audible has an exit button be sure to use it to close the app properly.
If it has one I have yet to find it, on my kindle. Have to go to running apps and force it to close.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
If it has one I have yet to find it, on my kindle. Have to go to running apps and force it to close.
Is the Audible part of the UI now or is there a separate app?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #112
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Is the Audible part of the UI now or is there a separate app?
With the fire I think it is intergrated with the UI. I have even talked with Audible and they had no answer how to exit a book and close the program. The only way to stop it and keep it from showing in the notification area is to force it to stop because there sure as heck not a way to close the program within the app itself. (So far as I have found)

Welcome to the amazon ecosystem!

That is one small reason of several that prompted me to buy the Nexus 7.
Love the firehd, and intend to keep it, but...............!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-16-2012 at 03:26 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
With the fire I think it is intergrated with the UI. I have even talked with Audible and they had no answer how to exit a book and close the program. The only way to stop it and keep it from showing in the notification area is to force it to stop because there sure as heck not a way to close the program within the app itself. (So far as I have found)

Welcome to the amazon ecosystem!

That is one small reason of several that prompted me to buy the Nexus 7.
Love the firehd, and intend to keep it, but...............!
Ah it's not like that on the KFv1 or SGP5. Nexus 7 sounds really nice too.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #114
new

Quote:
Ah it's not like that on the KFv1 or SGP5. Nexus 7 sounds really nice too.
Thanks everyone for your help. I did have to do a factory reset.

For some reason Audible even after force closing still shows running apps. I installed App killer and it even shows this and other amazon apps can not be closed.

If it wasn't past 30 days I think I would return it. It bothers me that much. I can't control my own gadget

Also screen dim refuses to operate properly when in notifications. I think it is their update, because it use to work.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #115
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Rule of thumb for the KFHD....

Unrooted KFHD - run ADW Launcher EX
Rooted KFHD - run Go Launcher
Sorry for off-topic reply...but I just noticed the "GO Launcher Ex" is in the Amazon app store. Does it work on the KFHD OK?

Found some themes for ADW Launcher Ex, but not the Launcher itself on Amazon. I'd feel "safer" with apps from the Amazon store for the KFHD.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #116
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Sorry for off-topic reply...but I just noticed the "GO Launcher Ex" is in the Amazon app store. Does it work on the KFHD OK?

Found some themes for ADW Launcher Ex, but not the Launcher itself on Amazon. I'd feel "safer" with apps from the Amazon store for the KFHD.
This is topic, lol, I am off topic. We were talking about KFHD and Go Launcher. It doesn't work! Read the last few postings.

Does the ADW Launch Ex say it works on KFHD? If so try it.

I am tired from redoing the KFHD twice now. No more launchers for me on the KFHD.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #117
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - just wasn't sure was GO launcher from Kindle store - but guess so! Whether on SGP5 or KFHD, seems that ADW is well-reviewed.
Way off topic: So, now that I have setup a KFHD (for friends), have studied and collected apps for the SGP5 which I will have in January, also am considering a nexus 7 for my daughter, --- now my (way-non-tech) parents announced that they have bought an ipad (!!!) and would I please set it up for them when I am in Florida in January!

Haven't used Apple products for 20 years (MAC)...
I suppose, as usual, I'll look to the MR forums for assistance.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #118
new

Quote:
Thanks - just wasn't sure was GO launcher from Kindle store - but guess so! Whether on SGP5 or KFHD, seems that ADW is well-reviewed.
Way off topic: So, now that I have setup a KFHD (for friends), have studied and collected apps for the SGP5 which I will have in January, also am considering a nexus 7 for my daughter, --- now my (way-non-tech) parents announced that they have bought an ipad (!!!) and would I please set it up for them when I am in Florida in January!

Haven't used Apple products for 20 years (MAC)...
I suppose, as usual, I'll look to the MR forums for assistance.
Wow parents with an Ipad? They must be young still, lol.

I would love a Nexus 7. Let us know how you do setting everyone up, and what apps work for you.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #119
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Wow parents with an Ipad? They must be young still, lol.

I would love a Nexus 7. Let us know how you do setting everyone up, and what apps work for you.
Yes - they are in their 80s and very active. My airticket from Europe to Florida next month was free with their frequent flyer miles (including from a trip to Africa safari a couple of years ago!). I hope that I have their energy and zest for new experiences when I am their age. My mother was recently excited to have 2 of her cookbooks available on Amazon digital! She's written cookbooks for years (Barbara Grunes).

I am collecting (and listing to buy in January) apps for the SGP5 that you and others, notably Blossom, have mentioned on this forum. I'll post mid-January as to how that goes.

The KFHD setup was trickier since we are in Europe (and not one of the listed countries). But I installed a battery app(Gsam), ES File expl, WiFi Expl, Pandora and Angry Birds (all free) from Amazon app store. Then, I sideloaded Cool reader for reading epub format and mxplayer for add'tl video formats. The Mandano (older version) didn't want to install and I didn't want to spend much time on it. Everything else worked great and it was fantastic for playing media. Nothing bothered me enough to be a show-stopper.

Even though the KFHD is limited here due to geographic restrictions, the screen and speakers were eye-popping great. I mostly would want one for playing media and some low-light reading, PRIME doesn't interest me. I have pretty much decided on the 7" since the 8.9" is tempting, but large to hold while reading for many hours as I do. Plus cost factors and resale value (easier to sell the 7" if I need to).

My nephew visited last week with a Nexus 7, so I played with it for a few hours. I do not play arcade-type games so the processing power doesn't attract me. And I don't care about the Android version, as I don't want to spend my time changing things around. I will have access to Google Play with the SGP5. Bottom line was that the screen and speakers are just not at the same level as the KFHD. And there is talk of color-fading over time (a software issue as I understand).

Since I primarily am looking for a media-player-reader, I have decided to try the KFHD over the Nexus. Also, the HDMI-out may be useful (KFHD) and GPS is not(N7) for me. Finally, I cannot find an online listing for the Nexus 7, Staples or Walmart, with only 16GB of storage. Only the $250 32GB version. I do not want to spend the add'tl $50 for memory. This makes the KFHD a less expensive, more attractive alternative.

But I may decide that the functionality difference is not enough over the SGP5 to justify the cost to me. I figure that I'll see how well the SGP5 does for simple web tasks and reading (excluding PDFs), then I'll decide whether or not to keep the KFHD.

The iPad will be interesting as I know next-to-nothing about the Apple environment. Fortunately I enjoy learning about techie stuff! I did teach Business Info Technology for over 25 years through many changes!

Sorry for the long-winded, somewhat off-topic post

Last edited by rgeorg; 12-19-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #120
new

Quote:
Yes - they are in their 80s and very active. My airticket from Europe to Florida next month was free with their frequent flyer miles (including from a trip to Africa safari a couple of years ago!). I hope that I have their energy and zest for new experiences when I am their age. My mother was recently excited to have 2 of her cookbooks available on Amazon digital! She's written cookbooks for years (Barbara Grunes).

I am collecting (and listing to buy in January) apps for the SGP5 that you and others, notably Blossom, have mentioned on this forum. I'll post mid-January as to how that goes.

The KFHD setup was trickier since we are in Europe (and not one of the listed countries). But I installed a battery app(Gsam), ES File expl, WiFi Expl, Pandora and Angry Birds (all free) from Amazon app store. Then, I sideloaded Cool reader for reading epub format and mxplayer for add'tl video formats. The Mandano (older version) didn't want to install and I didn't want to spend much time on it. Everything else worked great and it was fantastic for playing media. Nothing bothered me enough to be a show-stopper.

Even though the KFHD is limited here due to geographic restrictions, the screen and speakers were eye-popping great. I mostly would want one for playing media and some low-light reading, PRIME doesn't interest me. I have pretty much decided on the 7" since the 8.9" is tempting, but large to hold while reading for many hours as I do. Plus cost factors and resale value (easier to sell the 7" if I need to).

My nephew visited last week with a Nexus 7, so I played with it for a few hours. I do not play arcade-type games so the processing power doesn't attract me. And I don't care about the Android version, as I don't want to spend my time changing things around. I will have access to Google Play with the SGP5. Bottom line was that the screen and speakers are just not at the same level as the KFHD. And there is talk of color-fading over time (a software issue as I understand).

Since I primarily am looking for a media-player-reader, I have decided to try the KFHD over the Nexus. Also, the HDMI-out may be useful (KFHD) and GPS is not(N7) for me. Finally, I cannot find an online listing for the Nexus 7, Staples or Walmart, with only 16GB of storage. Only the $250 32GB version. I do not want to spend the add'tl $50 for memory. This makes the KFHD a less expensive, more attractive alternative.

But I may decide that the functionality difference is not enough over the SGP5 to justify the cost to me. I figure that I'll see how well the SGP5 does for simple web tasks and reading (excluding PDFs), then I'll decide whether or not to keep the KFHD.

The iPad will be interesting as I know next-to-nothing about the Apple environment. Fortunately I enjoy learning about techie stuff! I did teach Business Info Technology for over 25 years through many changes!

Sorry for the long-winded, somewhat off-topic post
I think you could write a novel about your parents and you! Go for it. Sounds very exciting. How did you end up living in Europe? Your parents in Florida?

Actually glad to hear the KFHD is better than the Nexus 7. I have finally tamed my KFHD to behave better with battery life. Force close Audible. No launchers for me either. Even the SGP5 doesn't need a launcher. I am quite happy with the way it is.

Of course when I use the KFHD and the SGP5 in the same day I am looking for the star (favorites) at the bottom right hand screen to get to my favorites on the SGP5, it doesn't have it!

Ipad will be a cinch, I have the Ipod Touch and it is so similar to the other toys it will be easy.