Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Fastboot not working

I've been trying to flash a kernel onto my KT using fastboot, but it keeps getting stuck at < waiting for device > . I have tried this with both my windows PC and on ubuntu 11.10, 12.04 and fedora 17 (I know, that sounds desperate). And yes, I used sudo. Please help
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
I've been trying to flash a kernel onto my KT using fastboot, but it keeps getting stuck at < waiting for device > . I have tried this with both my windows PC and on ubuntu 11.10, 12.04 and fedora 17 (I know, that sounds desperate). And yes, I used sudo. Please help
Can you get into diags? If so, try setting fastboot mode from the exit menu so you do not need MfgTool.

If that does not work, it is possible that your u-boot bist image on the mmc is damaged so that fastboot is not running in the kindle. In that case you would need to flash it using the serial port (until somebody figures out how to do that using a custom MfgTool profile).

A serial port connection will also show you startup messages that could help diagnose this problem.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I can get into diags. Is the option I should use "Install fastboot bundle"?

Last edited by aditya3098; 05-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I can get into diags. Is the option I should use "Install fastboot bundle"
Yes.

The kindle is touchy about dropping out of fastboot mode if there is any interruption in the USB connection, such as when switching from windows to linux. Setting the bootmode var to fastboot prevents that problem by making the kindle boot directly into fastboot mode. The downside is that you need fastboot working to get out of fastboot mode.

In theory, we should be able to flash a kernel from diags SSH with "dd" by only writing to the part of /dev/mmcblk0 that contains the kernel. You could try that if you feel brave today.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru

Yup, that worked, although I had to do the "Exit...>Fastboot..." about 30 times before it worked
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Yup, that worked, although I had to do the "Exit...>Fastboot..." about 30 times before it worked
Post us with your progress on this issue.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098
What did you mean by "Post us with your progress on this issue"? My kindle is working.
Watching clock.gmv.gz
Ahh... Great! The post looked like your debricking was still "in progress". I will add this to the success reports in the "simple debricking" sticky.

UPDATE: I just noticed that your actual "success report" was posted to an unrelated "searchbar shortcut" thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2078806

Judging by the hundreds of downloads of the forensic images, the majority of successful debrickings go unreported. It is nice to have reports to add to this list, so that others can click them to learn how to debrick their kindles in those specific conditions. Of course, needing to register with mobileread to post a success report imposes a barrier that limits the number of reports to a fraction of actual successful debrickings.

EDIT: And now that our debricking tools and methods have advanced to the point that getting a bricked kindle working again has become easy enough that it is a common procedure for developers to routinely debrick their kindles as part of the development process, the very definition of a "bricked" kindle is losing its meaning. This is a good thing.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-12-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
aditya3098
Guru

I thought the meaning of "Yup, that worked" included the fact that my KT was fixed.
One of these days, our debricking methods will become more advanced than amazon's, if they are not already.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
... One of these days, our debricking methods will become more advanced than amazon's, if they are not already.
It would be interesting to see how many of our clicked links and downloads came from the amazon.com domain.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It would be interesting to see how many of our clicked links and downloads came from the amazon.com domain.
Or lab126.com
P.S this is kind of getting of topic
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
... this is kind of getting off topic
Ouch!