Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which award winning book shall we read for June 2013?
Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man by Siegfried Sassoon 9 18.37%
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson 9 18.37%
The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt 16 32.65%
The Tea Lords by Hella Haasse 14 28.57%
Among Others by Jo Walton 13 26.53%
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon 6 12.24%
The Giver by Lois Lowry 15 30.61%
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami 11 22.45%
American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis 8 16.33%
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #61
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Using the SpringSave80 discount code at Kobo you can pick up The Swerve for under 4 dollars.
I already used the SpringSave80, so I tried the SpringRomance discount code I read about in the Romance thread. Success! I got The Swerve for $3.75.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #62
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Well I am glad that The Swerve edged out The Giver. The result of all the discussion of the part that On the Nature of Things by Lucretius plays in The Swerve has convinced me that it would be worthwhile to tackle Lucretius first. (...)
On the Nature of Things LibriVox recording
Thanks for the link. This is a bonus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too bad, the best book did not win.
Well, I've added More than human and Among others to my TBR list and am glad for these nominations. I do like fantasy and the occasional Science Fiction, especially when the latter seems to be an important book.

And I've read somewhere that The Swerve can be read as a detective, so it should be able to reach a somewhat larger audience than be thought at first sight ( read: "on first review").
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Using the SpringSave80 discount code at Kobo you can pick up The Swerve for under 4 dollars.
That's good news for Kobo users. I just paid $12.21 at Amazon.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Well I am glad that The Swerve edged out The Giver. The result of all the discussion of the part that On the Nature of Things by Lucretius plays in The Swerve has convinced me that it would be worthwhile to tackle Lucretius first. The happens to be the translation into English by John Selby Watson available in audio format for free download here at LibriVox:

On the Nature of Things LibriVox recording
Thanks for that LibriVox link, Hamlet. LibriVox is a treasure, and the folks who work there behind the scenes are performing a very welcome service.

For those who would like a mobi version of Lucretius' masterpiece to read alongside of or before The Swerve, you can find it in our Patricia Clark Memorial Library, having been uploaded by the late, great Patricia herself.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13584

I'll do a conversion to ePub later today and upload that also.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And here is the link to the Patricia Clark Memorial Library's new ePub version of On the Nature of Things by Lucretius.
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #66
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the links! Started The Swerve and am very much enjoying the read, but felt a bit in the dark not being familiar (other than name only) with On the Nature of Things.

Last edited by Bookatarian; 06-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote