Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
krhysling
krhysling began at the beginning.

Device: none
New Kindle announced

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/28/n...on-and-189-3g/

I'm heading off to pre-order, if I can find it!
krhysling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
krhysling

They're hiding!

I tried the links in the Engadget story but I'm getting 404 errors.

"The all-new Kindle and Kindle Wi-Fi are now available for pre-order at www.amazon.com/kindle3G and www.amazon.com/kindleWi-Fi, and will ship to customers in over 140 countries and 30 territories beginning August 27."
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
krhysling

Be sure to read the whole press release

There are some interesting tidbits like:

"Amazon is offering free Wi-Fi access at AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots across the U.S. for shopping and downloading Kindle content-no AT&T registration, sign-in, or password required."

Both new models have Wi-Fi.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Glory be! They fixed the selector! The 4-way rocker ring reminds me of the PB360, where the approach works very well. I'm liking it.

BTW, the WSJ has some quotes from Bezos on why they're not going to do a tablet:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...036454208.html
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
wdreamsmaycome
wdreamsmaycome is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3, ipod touch 1st gen
I wonder if the whispernet surcharge will be removed for orders from outside the U.S. on the wifi Kindle, one can only hope...
wdreamsmaycome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Can't find the preorder page. Anyone provide a working link for 3G version?
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Any word on the firmware? I have a GraphDX and I would love to have the new (new?) webkit browser.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Could there possibly be a new DX Graphite with the WiFi card and 3G released around the same time in August?
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I must say im pretty happy with my K2.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I have to order it >_<; My k2 looks so BAD next to my GKDX, and this new K2 HAS to use the Pearl screen...

Oh, I heard that they'll start taking pre-orders tomorrow.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I am so already justifying it to myself...It's only $139...I have a $40 gift card balance right now...plus the remaining balance bump me into a $25 gift card off my Amazon Visa...so net cost is only $75...plus my K1 is 2 yrs old (though still working).

As in the thread I started the other day, I was considering maybe switching to an epub device since my library starts offering epub books next week....but I think I'll go back to my original plan of getting those via my PC and tweaking them to work (on a new K3 instead of K1!).
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I am so already justifying it to myself...It's only $139...I have a $40 gift card balance right now...plus the remaining balance bump me into a $25 gift card off my Amazon Visa...so net cost is only $75...plus my K1 is 2 yrs old (though still working).
K1's still go for good money, you should be able to get more than you're $75 net cost for it if you want to. Making the K3 free
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
It would be great if ePub support is finally added.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
K1's still go for good money, you should be able to get more than you're $75 net cost for it if you want to. Making the K3 free
Hmmm....maybe. The 1 thing I like about keeping my K1 on my account is that so far they haven't updated firmware...which means my current workflow for removing DRM hasn't changed. Assuming the K3 is like the newly updated firmware K2's, I'd have to involve K4PC and different scripts than I have been using. Not a game changer...but we'll see. The other thing I may do is pass my K1 onto my dad. He's started to say maybe we could get him an e-reader for Christmas.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
OMG! PDF UPDATE!

Improved PDF Reader: The new Kindle uses an improved built-in PDF reader with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs.

*Dies happy*

If they don't push this to the GKDX I'm killing everyone. Does anyone know if this would be a hardware update or a software update?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote