Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
An IDEAL POCKETBOOK - what is it? Throwing your ideas in:)

I suggest that we start the thread about your, guys wishes/recommendations/comments on what the improved and ideal PB has to be and what it has to do and how it has to look. It would be great to hear your craziest ideas on hardware, software, design, content, all.

For example, the loud clicking buttons on 360 - make them quieter (this is one of my personal wishes).

We here at PocketBook try to do our best to listen to wishes of our users and very often make them come through in plastic or code lines - this was the way how PB 360 was designed - on one Ukrainian forum, that's why they call it sometimes 'the people's device'.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Since you're asking.
Prioritized:
1- Make the wing buttons floating like the center button.
2- Make the "last ten books read" and the "screenshot" options available on other butons
3- Improved mobi/prc rendering (graphics, table of contents, etc)
4- Any chance for MS Reader support? (Long shot, I know, but...)
5- Dual column landscape rendering
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Plastic based instead of glass based.
Larger then 6" screen. maybe 10 inches diagonally with high resolution
Fully open software so it is easy to add more software to the device
A plugin based reading system so users can add in more formats
A larger capacity battery for more time between charges
A user replaceable battery with a battery that's easy to get without being expensive
ePub, Mobipocket, MS Reader, LRF, HTML, CHM, RTF, & text (at the least) with full functioning readers and not FBReader which is not fully functioning enough
No white beezle
no cell phone compatibility at all
True wifi
Ability to change default fonts
Ability to change some hard coded settings such as margins, line spacing, fonts
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The latest FBReader (0.12.X) implements "image scaling". So far as I can tell this just rescales images larger than the screen to the screen size. I suggest implementing image scaling, but in addition add a Kindle-like image doubling phase:

a) double image size
b) rescale to screen size (if necessary), maintaining aspect ratio

In practice, steps (a) and (b) can be done in a single rescaling step.

FBReader has no image placement capability (always display centered with no in-line text). Things like image scaling actually works best without image placement complications, but honoring image placement styling would probably be worth doing. I have almost always been happy with FBReader's image centering though, and it is the best default behavior.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
1. Buttons that are easier to press. I had to stop using it because I developed arm pains. This isn't just the wing buttons.
2. Buttons that are easier to press. I said it and I really really mean it.
3. A version of FB Reader or Coolreader that selects hyperlinks that extend over more than one line as a group and moves by hyperlink, not line
4. Did I mention buttons that are easier to press.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Well you asked for our craziest ideas...

One of the best things I heard Jeff Bezos say is that books should disappear when you're reading them. I think they should also disappear when you aren't reading them. The mistake that I think designers are making is trying to make the device like a physical book rather then trying to make a better reading device.

I would personally like to see the reading device so that they can be broken into their functional components. I'd like to see interchangeable displays. Right now we have to compromise between portability and readability. I'm fine reading on my ipod Touch display when I'm running around throughout the day or if I want to read in bed, however if I want to sit down in front of the fire for an afternoon of reading I want a better display. The device should be able to pick the best display available to it at the time. I can see heads up display coming out as a new type of “reading glasses”. I wouldn't want them as my only display though.

The text rendering engine doesn't need interaction. It could be a device that I stick in my pocket or clip on my belt and communicates wirelessly with the display and storage. It just needs a method to store my personal preferences, bookmarks etc... It could also just be an app on my blackberry, smart phone, ipod. I'd like to be able to upgrade the rendering engine and the screens independently.

I don't really need separate storage for the reader except for cache. The storage could be a share on a smart phone or media player. The wireless communication could be via a cell phone using a tethering type solution.

On a more practical short term note I'd like a remote page turn option. Rather then trying to figure out where best to place the page turn button why not add an optional remote? I read a fair amount with my reading device on a stand or flat on the table in front of me. When washing dishes a waterproof remote would be ideal for me.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
humm

I have a Pocketbook 360.

Okay totally superficial item here, I love that it comes in 2 colors, and I think you should keep that and maybe add a few more.

I love the cover, I would like it snap on a bit easier, it seems to take me a few tries each time to get it to stay on the back.

I like the wings I would keep them. I also like FBreader's thing where it goes right to the edge of the screen.

I would like an option for the 360 with a bigger screen.

Oddly enough I would like the device to be a bit thicker. I have a EB1150 and I have to say I like that its thicker I feel like my hands get sore faster on the thinner devices. I suppose a comfort grip thing that is thicker. I imagine men with larger hands probably would find the thicker device more comfortable too. I like that the 360 is closer to the EB1150 than anything else on the market and the EB1150 was the best device made for the ergonomics of the hand.

Overall I am pretty happy with the device, though the software is more unstable than the Cool-ers IMO because I have had it crash and hang up more often. (The Cool-er was unstable in the beginning but newer firmware is very stable).

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
For the 360:
- a (simple) To Do list
- last ten books function available to other buttons
- A pdf reader that works like FBReader (as in "very user-configurable")
- Wikipedia converted into a format readable by the PB dictionary
- changes diapers
- when reading DJVU books with PDF Reader, there is no dotted line to indicate where I was reading before

I think that's it.... I like my PB360 so much as it is, though

Last edited by Francesco; 01-12-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Overall I'm very happy but improvements can always be made.

Here's my list:

- easier to press buttons, quieter if poss
- mapping last 10 books to other buttons
- I hate micro SD cards (very fiddly) prefer regular SD
- bigger memory capacity at least 1 gig on device
- more greyness levels ESP for photos
- I would love to be able to edit epub books as I read them
- better note-taking abilities
- love FBReader keep improving it and don't get rid of it!
- I'm undecided on a 5 inch screen, can we have a 5.5 ?
- should be bundled with a lanyard / wrist strap
- better PDF support here a slightly bigger screen would help
- bigger font on the dictionary interface
- better bookmarking, list of bookmarked pgs plus a clip
of text along with it more like dictionary interface
- a program that stores books read, date started, date completed etc and where you can make quick notes on the book - stored so you can convert to a spreadsheet off the device
- if there is ever a way to successfully implement an optional backlight / sidelight this would be perfect for reading in bed and also travelling in dim light
- no games
- no wifi
- longer lasting battery if poss
- no music

I just want the ultimate Reading device if I want music / Internet there are gadgets which will always do those things better - just concentrate on the Reading experience and great usability
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I would like to have the new version of FBReader with all the faculties it has on desktop now and picture placement and floating text options.

Adobe engine should be a lot more flexible and adjustable (more fonts, flexible margins)

Mobi compatibility should be a lot better, especially pagebreaks to show chapter breaks!

eReader and MS Lit formats

no Cell phone abilities

working WiFi

Touchscreen without the glare
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
My main features would be:

- Good touchscreen with minimal glare.
- Fully working wifi so I can access bookstores and my home network.
- User replaceable battery.
- Memory slots.
- Access to bookstores which cater for international customers (as opposed to just US).

Hopefully the 302 will have these features Still awaiting a review from CES!

I'd like to see the 302 physical design be closer to that of the Sony PRS 600. The pictures I've seen of the 302 make it look like its bigger than its needs to be. There is a lot of space below the screen, which could be decreased.

One last thing: a 7" or 8" screen.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360
Crash prof.
Water prof.
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
I suggest that we start the thread about your, guys wishes/recommendations/comments on what the improved and ideal PB has to be and what it has to do and how it has to look. It would be great to hear your craziest ideas on hardware, software, design, content, all.

For example, the loud clicking buttons on 360 - make them quieter (this is one of my personal wishes).

We here at PocketBook try to do our best to listen to wishes of our users and very often make them come through in plastic or code lines - this was the way how PB 360 was designed - on one Ukrainian forum, that's why they call it sometimes 'the people's device'.
YIKES....what's next the PBGB? Sorry, I simply could not swing and miss at that soft toss!! Seriously great idea, but currently I have no ideas.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by norciom View Post
Crash prof.
Water prof.
YES...weather sealed in a fashion similar to how Pentax does the K20D, K7 dslrs...and a scratch proof screen.

-a place to attach a lanyard for people like me who sometines drop stuff for no apparent reason.

-plastic/flexible panel

--keep a device or make more devices with an integrated plastic cover as currently found on the 360.

I might have more but, well, I goota go do morning stuff before I can think. It already hurts as it is.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
logan
logan doesn't litterlogan doesn't litter

Device: pocketbook 360
- easier to press buttons, quieter if possible (the opus multidirectional button is great)
- quick boot or hibernation mode (0 power consumption and restart in second in any application)
- more RAM or powerfull cpu, but keeping the battery life untouched
- a web-browser and python to get offline wikipedia
logan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improvements, pocketbook ideas