Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Short Story Anthologies ... or ...

I'm relatively new to the e-book world, though I've been following it for almost twenty years now anticipating the day when it would be real. I think the Kindle has pushed it over the edge (along with a lot of other factors). I bought my first ebook reader - Sony 505 last week after several weeks of research.

I'm mostly interested in Short Stories and Short Story Collections, but am finding few of them available as epub other than a few classic authors.

I noticed the Years Best Science Fiction by Gardner Dozois seems to be available only in Kindle format but Years Best SF is available in epub -- but kinda pricy

I annually buy the Best American Short Stories and the O Henry Prize Stories and often the PushCart Prize Stories. I'm not seeing any of these available as EBooks -- maybe I've missed them though.

I've started this thread in hopes of getting pointers and links to short story collections that are available.

Thanks in Advance!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Drop me a line, Kenny, and I'll send you a couple of good shorts collections from my own wee publishing house. Address below. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm....either not much interest or not much activity today I guess.

Thanks Neil!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
I've been reading stuff from Fictionwise; they're not anthologies as much as they are magazines. There are some SFnal works there ... Aeon, F&SF, Analog, Asimov's, Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, Interzone. Gardner Dozois, some of his anthologies, David G. Hartwell's best of anthologies, a few year's best of fantasy and horror.

I'm keen on getting short work anthologies as ebooks, too, and would like to know if you come across any places to get them other than FW!
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
kennyc

Owlrigh, thanks for that! I think fictionwise is a great source for those mags and to read the latest short stories. I currently get Asimovs in print but may switch to reading it on e-book.....save a tree.
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
This one has my recommendation - Masterpieces of Science Fiction from Fictionwise. Every story isn't a "masterpiece" in my opinion - but more are excellent than in your typical anthology. I have it in hardback.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
This one has my recommendation - Masterpieces of Science Fiction from Fictionwise. Every story isn't a "masterpiece" in my opinion - but more are excellent than in your typical anthology. I have it in hardback.
Ah yes. I have that in hardcopy as well. I may add it to my digital library and re-read.

Dang, it doesn't look like it's in epub format though!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Dang, it doesn't look like it's in epub format though!
heh... Yeah.. I think that's probably the one sci/fi anthology most people actually own.

Here are the other "best" sci-fi anthologies I've read - but you're kinda way out of luck there - I haven't been able to find them in any ebook format.

Future on Ice, also edited by Orson Scott Card
Folk of the Fringe, "written by" Orson Scott Card
Women of Wonder: The Contemporary Years edited by Pamela Sargent
The Hugo Winners, Volume 4: 1976-1979 edited by Isaac Asimov
Strange Dreams, edited by Stephen R. Donaldson

*grins* the sci-fi short story bookshelf is in auxiliary reading room number 2, just above the dirty clothes hamper.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-08-2009 at 05:49 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The 2009 PEN/O. Henry Prize collection is available for the kindle.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
kennyc

Ben I have that in print, looks like it's available at booksonboard as well in Epub format:

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...0975&v=details

also at the Sony store.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-07-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ellory Queen and Alfred Hitchcock magazines come out as ebooks now, I believe. Fictionwise used to carry them. If you like crime, I believe you can get collections by Laura Lippman, Jeffrey Deaver and David Morrell as ebooks. Comet Press is releasing ebooks of their horror/crime anthologies as ebooks, but a little pricey. Check out Vile Things, Death Panel, & Sick Things. I hope that helps.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
kennyc: Sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't even spot this until a couple minutes ago. If you want a couple good short story anthologies to read, you may want to consider my Dreamland Articles series. (Book 1, Book 2) I don't have book 2 available in ebook yet, as I haven't finished formatting the ebook for it yet. But if you keep an eye on Mobile Read, it should be available before the end of the month. If you want book 2 sooner, just toss $5 in my tip jar and I'll email it to you as soon as I finish converting it.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 07-21-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
kennyc

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I just grabbed a couple from Apex, if you get there quick and use the code NEWSTORE40 you'll get 40% off.

http://www.apexbookcompany.com/apex-store/ebooks/

I just bought 'Close Encounters of the Urban Kind' and 'Dark Faith' but they have a few more including 'The Apex Book of World SF' which I already have. All for $2.99 each before discount.

I'd highly recommend the newly released 'Stories' edited by Neil Gaiman & Al Sarrantonio, great anthology. I know they've released an ebook but I'm not sure where it is available as I have a hardback.

It might also be worth your time looking at some of the fiction magazines online. Most of these are easy enough to copy and paste into an epub, and you can probably set up something automatically with calibre. Duotrope is a good place to find short fiction online.

Oh and Baen Webscriptions usually have quite a few anthologies, particularly from Nightshade.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Amazon has 100 Greatest Short Stories for $4.95.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote