Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #31
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Why not remove it only when you can't really read your ebook due to DRM?
I guess one thing is to remove DRM because it's stopping you from reading what you have a right to read. Another thing is removing... Just in case or because you're agains't DRM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Sorry, Sweetpea, no offence meant. It just gets me going when I read comments assuming that removing DRM is illegal and or that it is criminal to do so, and I seem to have over reacted.

I routinely remove DRM from all Mobipocket files before I install them on my Cybook.

Regards, Alex
Np, I just wanted to clarify in case you had misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Why not remove it only when you can't really read your ebook due to DRM?
I guess one thing is to remove DRM because it's stopping you from reading what you have a right to read. Another thing is removing... Just in case or because you're agains't DRM.
I do it primarily for the first reason. But that goes for every book I buy in DRM. I'm not against the idea of DRM, only against the current implementations of it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #33
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The most stupid thing about drm is that it causes most hassle for the people that have actually paid for a product, the person that has downloaded the pirated version of the book or game has paid nothing for it and has none of the problems and if things like this force more people to investigate drm-stripping then at least some of them will take the next step and stop buying the books.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #34
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Off subject for just a moment... OVER... whelmed, Your moving bug in your messages gets to me every time.

Now, DRM.... I confess I know next to nothing about this.. other than, I don't like it based on what everyone has stated.

Now, how do I go about removing it from my purchased files?

I suppose I really don't need to, as I have a Kindle... but, we are talking principle here... aren't we.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #35
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
The new (beta) BeBook firmware update, which adds Adobe drm-ed ePub and pdf support to the first generation BeBook ereader, doesn't support drm-ed Mobipocket ebooks anymore, hence making your legally bought Mobipocket ebooks a heap of worthless bits&bytes.

Amazon is to blame here; they don't allow ereader manufacturers to add Mobi drm on ereaders that also have another drm system installed. So either you can stick with Mobipocket, and will not be able to buy drm-ed ePub ebooks, or you can switch to ePub, and say goodbye to your Mobipocket ebook collection.

More ranting in this Dutch article on the subject. Please join me and also sign the anti-drm petition at Defectivebydesign.org.

So what do you think? Would you rather skip the update, in order to be able to keep reading your drm-ed Mobipocket ebooks? Or are you ready to ditch your old ebook collection in order to switch to ePub with Adobe drm?

(please note that this is not BeBook specific; the Cybook update will also remove support for Mobipocket with drm. Also all new models (Cybook Opus, BeBook mini, etc) will not support protected Mobipocket if you want to read Adobe drm-ed ePub.)
I dislike DRM as much as the next person, but observationally, I'm kind of surprised that Amazon is not getting sued by one of these small eBook manufacturers. Amazon obviously has deep pockets, so there's $s to be had, and just as obviously, they're acting in a monopolistic fashion (not opening their formats to other manufacturers, not permitting alternate DRM formats on the same device, etc.). DRM seems a necessary evil for now, for the pulishers, to get the content for the devices, but the incompatibility and nonstandardization of DRMs, should not be the case. That's all about lockin and market control.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon are not a "monopoly", or even close to it, and are doing absolutely nothing illegal in requiring DRM exclusivity. But you will have noted, I'm sure, that the current trend among book reader manufacturers is to go for ePub support, not Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if Mobipocket had not had this exclusivity and allowed Sony to use Mobipocket with DRm, ePub would not be making such inroads as it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
if Mobipocket had not had this exclusivity and allowed Sony to use Mobipocket with DRm, ePub would not be making such inroads as it is.
Let me rephrase your sentence:

If Amazon wouldn't demand this exclusivity and allowed Sony to use Mobipocket with DRM, ePub would not be making such inroads as it is.

prc ist a stable, robust format with a lot of possibilities. I will indeed miss it. But then, it still may be used (as I do) in a non-DRM fashion. For the common customer, epub doesn't have any outstanding advantages. Right now the format is more of a contemporary whim of eBook tinkerers to me (note: strictly personal opinion).

Last edited by K-Thom; 08-09-2009 at 10:12 AM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #39
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
maybe it's good to give an English version of this Dutch website for those interested:
See Here

It's translated by google, fairly accurate.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #40
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
"The only solution to this problem is to completely abandon DRM."

Now, isn't this a nice core sentence, even for a Google translation? The problem isn't the exclusivity but the DRM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #41
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Mobipocket has long had a policy that dictated that theirs could be the only DRM scheme on a hardware device. Long before being purchased by Amazon. True, it hasn't changed since they were bought out, but don't lay the blame entirely on Amazon's shoulders (technically, they abide by the same legal restrictions as any other vendor licensing mobipocket's software for their device).

I would not be surprised, actually, if Adobe doesn't have the same clause in their license for hardware vendors, nor if any other vendors don't do the same - after all, you want to lock a hardware vendor into using your format, since that affects future income. Who would consider upgrading their hardware such that all current customers lose all their purchased content, after all....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #42
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I would not be surprised, actually, if Adobe doesn't have the same clause in their license for hardware vendors
We know that they don't, because Astak is on track to include both Adobe DRM and eReader DRM on all its ebook readers. We also know that Bookeen, for example, isn't saying that both Adobe and MobiPocket are preventing them producing devices with both DRM schemes - only MobiPocket is doing this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #43
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
We know that they don't, because Astak is on track to include both Adobe DRM and eReader DRM on all its ebook readers. We also know that Bookeen, for example, isn't saying that both Adobe and MobiPocket are preventing them producing devices with both DRM schemes - only MobiPocket is doing this.
That's true, plus Sony also have their own proprietary DRM .LRX on their readers beside the DRM ePud & PDF.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Let me rephrase your sentence:

If Amazon wouldn't demand this exclusivity and allowed Sony to use Mobipocket with DRM, ePub would not be making such inroads as it is.

prc ist a stable, robust format with a lot of possibilities. I will indeed miss it. But then, it still may be used (as I do) in a non-DRM fashion. For the common customer, epub doesn't have any outstanding advantages. Right now the format is more of a contemporary whim of eBook tinkerers to me (note: strictly personal opinion).
I'll probably keep format shifting books to mobipocket. I have three WinCE/WinMobile devices and while there is one epub reader for that platform, I like my mobipocket better.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once you go ePub, you never want to go back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, drm, firmware, mobipocket, update