Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Please take the cybook survey!

Hi, Teleread is trying to see how widespread the broken e-ink screen problem problem is with the Cybook.

Can you answer this one survey question if you haven't already?
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/07...er-either-way/

As things stand, out of 49 respondents, 9 or 10 report broken screens.

Of course, this survey may have a self-selection bias. There's a good chance unhappy consumers will be more likely to complete this survey than those who are happy.

Therefore, in the interest of receiving accurate data, I would encourage all Cybook owners to take the one question survey about whether you have experienced this problem.

Note that this question is about the hardware problem of broken displays. It is not about software or firmware problems.

We can argue later about what is the cause of this problem or what the company ought to do about it, but for now, it's in everyone's interest to compile a larger sample size.

Here are some examples of the hardware problem https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24870 Here is another example http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjnagle...53236/sizes/m/

Thanks.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Voted.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Voted.
Currently 82% have responded "I own or use a Cybook, and the screen is fine, thanks."
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post
Hi, Teleread is trying to see how widespread the broken e-ink screen problem problem is with the Cybook.

Of course, this survey may have a self-selection bias. There's a good chance unhappy consumers will be more likely to complete this survey than those who are happy.

Therefore, in the interest of receiving accurate data, I would encourage all Cybook owners to take the one question survey about whether you have experienced this problem.

Note that this question is about the hardware problem of broken displays. It is not about software or firmware problems.

We can argue later about what is the cause of this problem or what the company ought to do about it, but for now, it's in everyone's interest to compile a larger sample size.

Here are some examples of the hardware problem https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24870 Here is another example http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjnagle...53236/sizes/m/

Thanks.

If you are willing to listen to MY opinion, here it is.

Don't expect a Cybook to be as robust as a Sony PRS500. Unless the manufacturer starts building the Cybook out of titanium, which would add greatly to the cost, the only way to get more robustness is to add to the weight of the device. There's a trade-off between weight, price and robustness which Netronix decided to favor the weight end. That's why a Cybook weighs 6.13 ounces.

Even in a softcover case, putting a Cybook in a backpack where it can be bent or kicked or smashed by other objects is just begging to end up with a damaged screen. Unless one searches for and buys a hard case for it.

Me (and I've not done this search because I don't take it anywhere), I would buy a metal or tough plastic outer case just big enough to hold a Cybook and two thin pieces of foam. I'd glue one sheet of foam in the inside top section of the case and the other in the bottom. That would give added shock protection and help keep the Cybook from sliding around if the case were a bit too wide and long.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Even in a softcover case, putting a Cybook in a backpack where it can be bent or kicked or smashed by other objects is just begging to end up with a damaged screen. Unless one searches for and buys a hard case for it.
I agree. Basically I treat my Cybook as my Dell D420 laptop. I have a narrow bag suitable for the laptop and the Cybook fits there also just like other books. And I always treat this bag like I have a laptop or other electonics in it (I only have the laptop at trips but usually I have a camera and my Cybook and papper for work in the bag).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
I have to wonder whether these sorts of problems are occuring with the other e-ink devices. The problem is that these things look sturdy and feel like regular books. I don't feel like I handled mine that roughly; on the other hand, I treated it just like I would a book.

I think keeping this in a backpack is a bad idea; too bad, more people don't know about this vulnerability beforehand.

On the bright side, I am happy to report that my Dell Axim PDA screen has worked wonderfully after 3 years of use.

Last edited by rjnagle; 07-22-2008 at 05:45 PM.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I have to admit that I haven't left my Cybook on the hood of my car and had it blow off at 25 MPH like I did my Sony (which survived with a dented/torn corner of the metal case) but I have not babied it either and it is still fine. I think the Cybook case gives better protection than the Sony case does.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have to wonder whether these sorts of problems are occuring with the other e-ink devices. The problem is that these things look sturdy and feel like regular books. I don't feel like I handled mine that roughly; on the other hand, I treated it just like I would a book.

I think keeping this in a backpack is a bad idea; too bad, more people don't know about this vulnerability beforehand.

On the bright side, I am happy to report that my Dell Axim PDA screen has worked wonderfully after 3 years of use.
True. Very true. I've got my EB-100 (basically the hardware of the Cybook without the Cybook firmware) right next to me and it *feels* sturdy, but light. However, it's not nearly as "massive" as a PRS500 and having used a PRS500 for about four months prior to receiving my first Cybook, I - quite honestly - felt as if it were "flimsy". Because of that feeling, I've treated it much more carefully than the PRS gets treated. Still, with reasonable care, a Cybook can be taken anywhere. It just can't tolerate being dropped, punted, hit, bent, stabbed, shot or slugged by a baseball bat.

I think I saw a hard metal case which might work as a long-trip/hiking case for it. I'll see if I can find the website again.

Derek
Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
True. Very true. I've got my EB-100 (basically the hardware of the Cybook without the Cybook firmware) right next to me and it *feels* sturdy, but light. However, it's not nearly as "massive" as a PRS500 and having used a PRS500 for about four months prior to receiving my first Cybook, I - quite honestly - felt as if it were "flimsy". Because of that feeling, I've treated it much more carefully than the PRS gets treated. Still, with reasonable care, a Cybook can be taken anywhere. It just can't tolerate being dropped, punted, hit, bent, stabbed, shot or slugged by a baseball bat.

I think I saw a hard metal case which might work as a long-trip/hiking case for it. I'll see if I can find the website again.

Derek
IF U see the website please send us a link!!
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
90 out of 105 votes are for "I own or use a Cybook, and the screen is fine, thanks." 4 more said the screen broke and it was their fault. 2 more respondents said they might have been the cause. that's not too bad. btw, i voted

Quote:

Thanks.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have to wonder whether these sorts of problems are occuring with the other e-ink devices.
Yes, they certainly are. Do a search on "broken screen" in the Sony Reader or the Kindle fora.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Well, it's an electronic device and, as such, not as robust as a book (if one doesn't care about how the book looks, anyway...). Personally, I only transport it in the standard bookeen cover, but take care where it's placed in the bag. Sure, there are a few wear-marks (not scraches as such, but some slightly polished areas, I presume from inserting into the cover), but hey, this is not a piece of jewelery, but something you use, right?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
IF U see the website please send us a link!!
Here's something like what I remembered. It's a bit 'shallow' inside, but that's soft neoprene foam and should compress enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Titanium-eCaddy-...2em118Q2el1247

Derek
Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Wasn't there some discussion that perhaps Bookeen (or Netronix, I guess, more properly) got a bad batch of screens? That the mysterious broken-screen issues were all related to people who bought their Cybooks at a certain time? So those of us who were REALLY early adopters aren't having this problem.

It might do to expand the survey to include "when did you buy your device."
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Well, it's an electronic device and, as such, not as robust as a book (if one doesn't care about how the book looks, anyway...). Personally, I only transport it in the standard bookeen cover, but take care where it's placed in the bag. Sure, there are a few wear-marks (not scraches as such, but some slightly polished areas, I presume from inserting into the cover), but hey, this is not a piece of jewelery, but something you use, right?
I agree, and I think if you keep it in its case it should be fine. The one person I know whose screen has broken was definitely at fault (My sister dropped it down several flights of stairs. What a genius).
alia is offline   Reply With Quote