Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Purchased 2 of the new Amazon Kindle models

I purchased the Kindle Fire HD 7 and the Kindle Paperwhite 6 - both with just WiFi since I use them mostly at home on my own WiFi network.

I'll use the Fire and my wife will use the Paperwhite.

I'll donate my old Kindle Fire and Kindle 3 to my Church. My old Sony PRS 900 will go to the local public library.

Final shipment of all components won't be until October 31, 2012. The rest will trickle in one by one from now until then.

I hope you folks bought at least one of the models. The 8.9" models seem good but I want to stay on 7" to fit them into my wife's purse. The 8.9" model comes 4G as an optional add on and the specs seem to beat the iPad in every area.

The Fire HD 7 uses double sets of speakers and should run music very loud without external amplifiers. Hopefully, all my Fire android apps will run without modifications. The Fire HD 7 comes with 32 Gb of memory compared to the 7 Gb on my old Fire.

The paperwhite is supposed to run for 8 weeks on one battery charge even using the light. That is awesome. The Fire HD is supposed to get 11 hours on the battery versus the 6.5 hours I'm getting now (I recharge at 5.5 hours).

Scheduled eReader delivery dates:

Fire HD 7: Oct 25, 2012
Paperwhite: Oct 11, 2012

The other accessories will trickle in from Sep 10, 2012, to Oct 31, 2012. I have Prime so all components will get 2 day delivery.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I got the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" in 16GB. I have a hard time getting my current model to discharge, so it's going to be even more unbearable with the new one. .

Giving my dad the 8GB. Going to save the Paperwhite until next year.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I purchased the Kindle Fire HD 7 and the Kindle Paperwhite 6 - both with just WiFi since I use them mostly at home on my own WiFi network.

I'll use the Fire and my wife will use the Paperwhite.

I'll donate my old Kindle Fire and Kindle 3 to my Church. My old Sony PRS 900 will go to the local public library.
Oh no, you can't donate the 900 to your public library. It's not accessible to blind people. Read the thread on the DoJ case where someone sued because a public library bought some readers that were not accessible to the blind.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189621
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I ordered a Paperwhite Wi-Fi. It's scheduled to be delivered October 3 with the 2-day delivery.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Amazon really made a strong showing in both hardware specs and pricing
let the tablet wars begin!!
any alleged Ipad mini better be $$affordable$$

I am interested in the paperwhite
Will keep my First gen KF though as it is only 10 months old and has at least an 18 month backlog of books yet to be read (not counting comic books)

..Nexus who???

Last edited by Anabran; 09-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
..Nexus who???
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Beat me by a week !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I ordered a Paperwhite Wi-Fi. It's scheduled to be delivered October 3 with the 2-day delivery.
My Paperwhite WiFi is scheduled for a Oct 11 delivery. You beat me by 8 days. They must be selling millions of units on day 1. Those, who order next week, will probably get delivery in December.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The HD 7 for $199 is awesome. I don't know that I will get one though. Happy with my current Fire.

I ordered my Paperwhite the instant I found a link. Delivery is Oct 3.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The Paperwhite Kindle looks great and I have pre-ordered. Since I have discovered that all the new tablets will contain unsolicited advertising my interest level has dropped considerably. It was poor of Amazon not to mention this at the press event today.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Liza59
Liza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: ereader
Quote:
Since I have discovered that all the new tablets will contain unsolicited advertising my interest level has dropped considerably
I was so excited to see the inclusion of the camera and was seriously thinking of a trade up, but the advertising is a deal breaker for me. I always turn my wifi off when playing angry birds for this very reason. I do not want to browse web pages with even more added advertising.
Liza59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've preordered a Paperwhite model, and will hold off on a new Fire... At least for another couple months (Hi, Christmas gift).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry but I don't see the KF HD as a necessity for most who own the original Fire. Especially for those that aren't rooted which is the majority and would still be "locked in" so to speak to that OS and app store.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Sorry but I don't see the KF HD as a necessity for most who own the original Fire. Especially for those that aren't rooted which is the majority and would still be "locked in" so to speak to that OS and app store.
I know we don't NEED it. I don't need a MacBook Pro either, but I still have one. .
Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Yeah....my Fire is fine. The faster speed promised for the new ones, and the higher storage, those things would be great! Maybe in 8 or 9 months there will be a refurb sale on some HD models. I only paid $139 for my Fire and it's fine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
ill get a 7 inch kindle fire HD to replace my kindle fire wich i enjoy for watching videos on the go, i may get the kindle whie for reading in bed as even with apps to lower brightness i find the fire and my samsung galaxy s3 too bright for bedtime reading in the dark. im hoping the paperwhite isnt as bright as backlit displays.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote