Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #181
Neck Beard
Neck Beard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Also tried rebooting, didn't work
tried running debug mode, didn't look like there were any problems.
Neck Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #182
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
(still) works on XP

You might head over to the Calibre <configuration folder>\plugins
and delete/rename openwith.json Calibre should be stopped
YOU WILL LOSE your CUSTOMIZATIONS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #183
Neck Beard
Neck Beard began at the beginning.

Deleting the json worked thanks
Neck Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #184
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
glad it worked.

Corruption can (it is rare, but it) happens
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #185
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
OpenWith 1.5.7 + Win7 64bit + Calibre 64 bit

Trying to launch KindlePreviewer 2.901 for AZW3 files

It seems to require Admin on Calibre, something I'd rather not do

Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	109319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	109320  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #186
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Trying to launch KindlePreviewer 2.901 for AZW3 files

It seems to require Admin on Calibre, something I'd rather not do

Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Paul
@Paul - if there's not one reported in this thread then I would say there isn't a workaround

Can we assume the other combinations work, e.g. Sigil for EPUB files, i.e is it just that file type and that program.

You could try 32bit version - but I admit that is clutching at straws

BR

EDIT : Works OK here - see below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	109331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	109332  

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-12-2013 at 10:38 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #187
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@BetterRed

Thanks for the data, but it 'appears' to be related to Win7/64bit security, and the way the Kindle Previewer starts java (maybe, but guessing here)

Anyway, I uninstalled KP and went back to just non-elevated settings, and now the darn thing works. As far as I can tell, this are EXACTLY the settings that didn't work the first time -- go figure

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #188
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
@BetterRed

Thanks for the data, but it 'appears' to be related to Win7/64bit security, and the way the Kindle Previewer starts java (maybe, but guessing here)

Anyway, I uninstalled KP and went back to just non-elevated settings, and now the darn thing works. As far as I can tell, this are EXACTLY the settings that didn't work the first time -- go figure

Paul
Aaah - right I got a message from the firewall about the Kindle Previewer wanting to call home, I told the firewall to disallow, I don't allow too many programs to call home - calibre being one of the few - also I have UAC off

I'd say that by running it from an Admin process the Kindle program has been whitelisted in your firewall - so it can call home.

Yes it is java, or it was - I gave it the heave ho, immediately after the test.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-13-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #189
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I just compiled sigil 0.73 on my fedora linux. But if try to start sigil with "open with" it just does nothing. With the older version of sigil (in my distro) it works. It also works on the terminal: sigil xyz.epub.

I'm running a 64bit system.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #190
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Problem solved.

Last edited by samy2; 08-29-2013 at 05:54 AM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #191
shentar
shentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
I'm running calibre 1.1 with "open with" 1.5.7. I've just tried to add Microsoft Reader as a viewer for .lit and it won't start, or rather the Reader splash screen flashes on the display then disappears. It works fine when I start it from Windows Explorer either by clicking on the .exe or by clicking on a .lit book. Other open-with options I've added (Foxit, DJVu etc) all work fine. I've even re-installed MSReader.

I think I've had this working in the past - TBH I was surprised I didn't already have it as an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
shentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #192
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@shentar,

You don't need to use the 'Open With' plugin to choose a different program (from standard calibre Viewer) to open .LIT books.

Instead go to Prefs - Behavior. In the right-hand list, labelled use 'internal viewer for' and uncheck LIT. Also, in Windows, make sure that MSReader is set as the default program for opening .LIT files. Similarly you can use the same method for your DJVU, PDF books, or any other formats which have a more suitable reader app than the calibre Viewer.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #193
shentar
shentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle

One of the problems with calibre is that it has so much function it is occasionally difficult to find the best way to do whatever you want to do. There are, of course, far worse faults in software

I'd still like to know why it doesn't work through open-with, but I guess that's just another feature of windoze.

Thanks again for the prompt response.
shentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #194
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shentar View Post
I'm running calibre 1.1 with "open with" 1.5.7. I've just tried to add Microsoft Reader as a viewer for .lit and it won't start, or rather the Reader splash screen flashes on the display then disappears. It works fine when I start it from Windows Explorer either by clicking on the .exe or by clicking on a .lit book. Other open-with options I've added (Foxit, DJVu etc) all work fine. I've even re-installed MSReader.

I think I've had this working in the past - TBH I was surprised I didn't already have it as an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
When I tried to put msreader into Open With about 18 months ago I got the same behaviour. IIRC I've had problems putting an image and a text editor into the Open With plugin, but other programs are fine.

Never reported them because I could live without them - pressing 'o' and doing what I want from there is almost as easy.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #195
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
error message

I downloaded the "open with" plugin, but I get error messages. I corrected the Sigil path then retried, with several epubs from different sources, same thing.

Spoiler:
calibre, version 1.2.0
ERREUR : Exception non gérée: <b>UnicodeDecodeError</b>:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 0: unexpected end of data

calibre 1.2 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.open_with.action", line 178, in open_with
File "calibre_plugins.open_with.action", line 212, in launch_app
File "subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 907, in _execute_child
File "subprocess.py", line 646, in list2cmdline
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 0: unexpected end of data

I skimmed through the 16 pages of the thread, and there might be an answer, but I have no notion of python and such. I have Windows 7 64bits, calibre 1.2 and Sigil 0.7.2.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kepubify