Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Rob_W
Rob_W began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New library in 'offline' folder

I use Calibre mainly with a library stored on my NAS. However some books I would like t o be able to access on my laptop even when I am not connected to my NAS. So I used the Reading List plugin together with the 'connect to folder' option to create a list of books that are synced 'offline' (in a folder on my laptop called D:\Calibre offline). Until now I made a list of shortcuts to these 'offline' books in order to open them quickly but this is also cumbersome.

What I rather would like to be able to do is to open calibre with a different library from e.g. a shortcut with a specific commandline, so this offline library does not point to the library on my NAS but to a library in D:\Calibre offline (my 'offline' folder). I thought this should be quite easy to manage but I get stuck on making a new library.

When I try to make a new library (pointing to the offline smaller library I point the location of the new library to the folder I used the connect to folder feature (D:\Calibre offline). Both the option 'Use the previously existing library at the new location' and 'Create an empty library at a new location' do not work. Either there is some kind of error message or no books show up.

When I open Calibre when I am not connected to my NAS I get an message that the library cannot be found and I need to select another folder. So this is not what I want.

Bottom line is I would like to be able to use 2 shortcuts, one to open the library on my NAS, one to open the local 'offline' library that is actually a exported group of books using the Reading List plugin (so this set of books can be overwritten when I sync the Reading list). By using the 2 shortcuts I prevent the error messages I get when not connected or can quickly go to the correct set of books.

Does anyone have some ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Rob
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The problem is that the 'offline' folder you have is not a valid calibre library.

If you want to do this then you would have to create a genuine Calibre library at that location and copy books from your main library to the 'offline' one. However that would then be structured like a Calibre library at the file system level which may not be what you want?

I am not sure why you want the 'offline' location to be a Calibre library?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Rob_W

Thank you itimpi.

The reason why I would like to be able to use calibre is that searching for books is much more convenient than using for instance windows Explorer. I can see the thumbnails of the books, I can search using other criteria then only title of book or author, etc.

Perhaps my approach is wrong and another solution is also possible? Do you have any ideas?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Rob_W

By the way: I tried the save to disk option but that also does not help.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
You should try to create an empty library at a point in your laptop: "D:\calibre offline..." and, later, copy the books from the NAS to this library. You shouldn't copy only the files with "Save to Disk" or Explorer.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Rob_W

Thank you Terisa!

This is the solution. The only drawback is that you cannot sync (update) or overwrite books from one library to another, so when I update books on my NAS library I need to delete the books on my 'offline' library and then copy again. But this does not happen often so this is ok with me.

Many thanks for the solution!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas

Bottom line -- I suggest using a fle sync program to mirror your main library (located on your hard drive) to your NAS.
And as a benefit, your library will never be offline.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #8
Rob_W

That would be a possibility except that my library is huge. So it would take up to much space on my harddisk. This also would result in slower and larger backups of my harddisk.

From my NAS library I only would like to have some files available for research and looking up information. So this online and offline solution is working well. But many thanks for participating and offering suggestions!

Kind regards,
Rob
Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, any decent file syncing program should be able to transfer only file differences.

But I can understand if disk space is a concern. Hopefully using a NAS won't blow up in your face then.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:31 AM   #10
Rob_W

Hello eschwartz,

Thank you for the concern. Fortunately I have a backup NAS as well.

Regards,
Rob
Old 04-12-2015, 01:27 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yup, definitely keep backups.

Also, in case you want to be able to search the library (even though the books aren't available) -- you can keep the database file somewhere local and use the environment variable CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH.
All the calibre metadata will be available for you to look at, and you don't have to keep all the books on the hard drive.

Use with caution, and don't change anything while the library is unattached because calibre might lose track of the books.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
Rob_W

I will keep it in mind. However I would like to be able to open books because they are reference books. Nevertheless thanks for the tip.

Tags
connect to folder, library folder, library issue