Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast
slvrsplsh doesn't litterslvrsplsh doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Nook Color
OK, I tried something different. I held the reset button for 30 seconds and pressed the home and menu buttons before I inserted the power cord. It went into recovery mode and after about 60 seconds it went back to the opening book page. This is so frustrating it is maddening!
slvrsplsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Are you able to try deleting all books on the reader while it's plugged in with the USB cable?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Could be a broken reset button it happened to me, thing just didn't have an effect at all and I had to get the whole reader replaced.

I think on the T1 especially it's very flimsy and just not very reliable.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Could be a broken reset button it happened to me, thing just didn't have an effect at all and I had to get the whole reader replaced.

Thanks for the tip. Now that I know it could be an electro-mechanical failure I can pop it open and have a look. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and I have just the right one for surface mount work.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Physically Fine

So, I opened the clam and took a look. Everything looks to be working. I guess that I am in that very small group of those who have permanently bricked their device. I sure do hate to lose my PRS-T1, but at least I have my Nook Tablet.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

I think on the T1 especially it's very flimsy and just not very reliable.
That's kinda scary seeing as how it gets used so much. Is there a history of the power button breaking with this device?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

More Info

After reading a post on another thread, I think I may have discovered the problem. The following I didn't seem germane at the time.

The day previous to my problems, I reset my system to original, and installed the 1.0.5 update Then I re-rooted, using Ropor's AMR. Every thing was lovely til I was forced to turn the device off because of frozen frames. When I turned it on, it went into a boot loop, and I haven't been able to do any thing with it since. Impatient me, I started doing all this without checking my battery life.

Last edited by slvrsplsh; 01-24-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
One last thought after I had a problem with my 350 yesterday. I edited a book removing tables that didn't display correctly and converted them to plain text. But after that the book wouldn't load, the reader was simply stuck in the loading stage and frozen. Triple checked the book, and in Sigil ran the 2 checks and both came out perfect with no errors, so I tried something else.

I'm not sure if the file structure is similar on the T1s, but you might try this if you have similar files. Make copies of your files before making any changes just in case. I opened up the cacheExt.xml and media.xml files and deleted all references to the problem book. One of the files had a LOT of lines from all the bookmarks I was enabling and then disabling while reading, since I was also cleaning up the text somewhat as I read. On the 350, these 2 files are in READER\database\cache\.

Once that was done, I restarted the reader and the book loaded perfectly. I find it hard to believe that you're the only one who's ever managed to brick a Sony and there has to be a way to recover from it.

I'd even try deleting the entire file contents where the info is stored and let the reader re-create them, just be sure you copy the files intact elsewhere first.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
That's kinda scary seeing as how it gets used so much. Is there a history of the power button breaking with this device?
It's actually the little reset switch I mean you know the small hole to pin reset in case of a crash not the actual power button, I didn't have any problems getting the reader replaced but it did stump me for a while I must have pressed it a thousand times and got no reaction at all.

I was tempted to open that one as well and try yanking the battery but I knew it was still under warranty so I didn't. It has given me a lot of pause in buying devices without removable batteries now I never liked them but now I just don't trust any devices that don't have them.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #25
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsplsh View Post
Sorry I wasn't specific enough. What happened was nothing. There was no change in the behaviour of my reader at all; just the continuous cycling between the white page and the opening book screen.

This is exactly the symptoms of the T1 I have in front of me (it belongs to a family member). Did any solution ever work? In case you're still here?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #26
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
No one mentioned doing a hard reset. It's worth a shot.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
No one mentioned doing a hard reset. It's worth a shot.
If that's the pinhole followed by turning the device on while holding Home and Menu... I tried that a few times. I'm nowhere near as familiar with Sony devices as with Kobo, though, so all suggestions are welcome! Right now I'm just leaving it on a wall charger overnight to tackle it again in the morning.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that it's just end of life for the battery, but who knows. No sign of screen fracture or anything like that. It is a little bit filthy (I have fairly high standards for device cleanliness, though), so I'm also going to give it a good clean in the morning, if there are signs of life.

Last edited by meeera; 06-09-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Here's a link to the Sony site where they describe a hard reset for the T1.

http://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34828

Hope it helps.

That will result in data loss (books, ADE auth, etc) but in this case, you don't have much to lose.

Last edited by sqdancer; 06-09-2014 at 08:56 PM.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks sqdancer. After a night on the wall charger, I tried that as well as some of the other suggestions, including the recovery package, and I'm still getting nowhere. Time to suggest a new Aura, I think.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #30
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
The T1 bricks easily when you flash alot. I managed to do it, too, a while ago. Maybe a package was faulty, maybe I unplugged the device too early, who knows. But I know that I'm not gonna root another Reader. Too much of a risk IMHO. Android Smartphones, that's another story.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, rescue