Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Unhappy [SOLVED] Indexing wasting all the memory?

I gave a glance to /system/Search Indexes/ folder on kindle paperwhite and BAM! Found that it take up 96.8 MB!

I've "only" 300 books so it is so pretty annoying that it take so much...

Is it safe to delete all these files? Must i keep ones with extensions .db an .lg? Would the database file become corrupted after this operation?

Obviously, I need also a way to block the indexer after doing this... I've searched in the forum but didn't find any solution that really works on paperwhite Any idea?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Aeris; 10-03-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello,

I hate this as well. My solution was, however, different:

- forget about indexing;
- placed books in /mnt/us/books;
- modified kindle explorer to allow ONLY book copy to /mnt/us/documents (modified sources posted in the same thread).

In this way my books are NOT indexed. My books are invisible to Kindle. I only make visible books on an as needed basis.

I know, this is a solution deserving at most grade 8 on a 1-10 scale. But it is the best I could get so far. If anyone has any ideas on improving this, I am listening.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
sounds simple and effective.
that makes it hard to beat.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Aeris
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't like it to much... I take ages to put nice covers on my books to have a nice looking library xD Damned indexer...
Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
By the way, I have the reversed problem: I want to create books using Calibre, but I want no covers. Without covers, the first image in the book becomes the cover. And I do not want this. My point: I want space for my books, i.e. text, not to look at nice covers. How can I create books with no covers? Thank you
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Aeris

FOR ALREADY CONVERTED BOOKS:
In Calibre, selects all the book from which you want to remove the cover, right click on them, then Edit metadata -> Edit metadata in bulk -> Change cover -> Remove Cover -> Apply

FOR NEW BOOKS:
Preferences -> Output options -> No default cover -> Apply
Old 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Easiest solution: use list view, instead of cover view, on the Kindle . Not only is it less distracting, it's also more compact (it displays 8 books per page instead of 6).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Aeris

Cover view is sooo cute instead

P.S. I've just discovered that the number of pages at the bottom-right is clickable O.O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_04T00_21_09+0200.png
Views:	365
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	112767   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_04T00_21_21+0200.png
Views:	372
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	112768  
Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Aeris! It's also contextual (for example, if you're sorting by author, you can jump to authors starting with a specific letter).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Aeris

Ohh great, didn't know!

Btw, we are a bit off-topic now... if somebody has an idea for stoppin' the fu*kin' indexer, I'm all ears!

Last edited by Aeris; 10-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Ohh great, didn't know!

Btw, we are a bit off-topic now... if somebody has an idea for stoppin' the fu*kin' indexer, I'm all ears!
There were a few attempts, but none of them (seem to) work reliably. As the pressure is building, this will probably also climb on the "take-a-look-at" priority list of the folks here, and might eventually get solved.

It's a shame that Amazon doesn't provide an out of the box option to disable it. It's causing tons of problems, and I don't think that more than 1% of the people even know that it exists, let alone use it. IMO, searching for book metadata (author, title, possibly "series" or so) would be sufficient for almost everyone. IMO, a full text index is just plain overkill for most people.

But then again, we know how much Amazon listens to customer requests concerning Kindle features.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Aeris

I've read that someone deleted the Search Indexes directory on Kindle 3 and the indexing stopped... do you think that it is safe to give this a try? (on PW)

All my books are already indexed, it's only a matter of principle xD but I wouldn't like to lose all this work while trying...

Last edited by Aeris; 10-03-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

You can delete the indexes, but the Kindle will be more than happy to re-generate them on the first occasion. So no, not worth the effort.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
What about the old trick of deleting the index files, creating folders with the same name and then setting the folder permissions as read only, thereby blocking the indexer?
It's one of the tricks I've read to block background updates.
Just an idea, sorry if it's one that's already been tried and didn't work.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
What about the old trick of deleting the index files, creating folders with the same name and then setting the folder permissions as read only, thereby blocking the indexer?
It's one of the tricks I've read to block background updates.
Just an idea, sorry if it's one that's already been tried and didn't work.
Give it a try and let us know - sounds like a great idea to me!

BTW- have you read this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220735
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing, paperwhite, touch