Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Lightbulb osmo... in progress

http://clayo.org/osmo/

Few niggles still....
  • Keyboard input (biggest bugbear TODO.)

Have to think about maybe either launching something xid like baf does in kterm or actually embedding a keyboard into the app...
fixed. went with a primarily native solution. configurable in an external script.

Of course there is not easy mechanism to launch the keys either... so may embed something in the menu/gtknotebooks... havent thought of a GREAT solution yet... a double-finger tap would be nice as a toggle perhaps???

Still no great key toggle solution.

• layout

setting the size on the PW / K5 is a bit of a faff as some windows are gtkscrolledwindows, some are windows, some are overlays on the dialog layer, blah, blah, blah. However that's mainly done. with the odd exception.
fixed - needs thorough testing on various device screen sizes

• Exiting the app

There is no way to leave at the moment as the application appears to expect window decoration. I think there is a right click menu in there somewhere that could be repurposed but yet to notice it.
Now fixed
  • scrollbars

I totally suck at gtk theming... any clues on making scrollbars a SENSIBLE width would be greatly appreciated.
Now fixed (thanks baf)

I managed to get the contact module to build (better than the debian version...) so the "complete support" is indeed there. "Backups" are disabled in the svn version so yeah... not my doing. when they become "available" again all the supporting libs are in place.

syncml support does not work ref: https://sourceforge.net/p/osmo-pim/bugs/31/

So yeah. WIP but getting there.

Happy to provide a complete diff of my works so far on svn revision 937 if anyone would like to help...

Thought I would shove up a few pics of the "so far"

Code:
root@dev:/usr/local/src/osmo-pim-code# CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -mfloat-abi=softfp" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/osmo/usr/lib:/mnt/us/extensions/aspell/usr/lib:/mnt/us/extensions/gtkspell/usr/lib:/mnt/us/extensions/enchant/usr/lib/ -static-libstdc++" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/osmo/usr --enable-printing=no --enable-backup=yes --with-config-path=/mnt/us/extensions/osmo/usr --without-libsyncml
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_660.png
Views:	397
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	111862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_661.png
Views:	371
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	111863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_662.png
Views:	359
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	111864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_677.png
Views:	374
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	111865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_678.png
Views:	368
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	111866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_679.png
Views:	376
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	111867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_680.png
Views:	344
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	111868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_681.png
Views:	377
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	111869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_663.png
Views:	327
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	111870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_664.png
Views:	336
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	111871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_665.png
Views:	333
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	111873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_666.png
Views:	352
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	111874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_668.png
Views:	345
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	111875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_669.png
Views:	292
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	111877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_671.png
Views:	328
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	111878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_672.png
Views:	347
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	111879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_670.png
Views:	305
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	111880  

Last edited by twobob; 10-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

preferences is a bit of a pain to get sized right...
working on it.

http://sourceforge.net/p/osmo-pim/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_673.png
Views:	302
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	111881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_674.png
Views:	328
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	111882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_675.png
Views:	306
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	111883  

Last edited by twobob; 09-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
preferences is a bit of a pain to get sized right...
working on it.

http://sourceforge.net/p/osmo-pim/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/
Looks really good! Who need a Notepad Plus, when there's twobob.
On another note, seriously, who really needs to buy any app, when we can make WAF apps in a breeze! I like WAF apps too.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Great work, Twobob!!! I hope to help when you upload the KUAL app

About scrollbars: I've found this thread, but I suck in Gtk more then you so don't know if it helps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1946788

Last edited by Aeris; 09-23-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Great work, Twobob!!! I hope to help when you upload the KUAL app

About scrollbars: I've found this thread, but I suck in Gtk more then you so don't know if it helps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1946788
Thanks very much... I gave this go... seems to be ignored?

Will dig around in the guts see if I can figure out why. maybe baf knows.
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Thanks very much... I gave this go... seems to be ignored?

Will dig around in the guts see if I can figure out why. maybe baf knows.
Default kindle gtkrc file, which can be overridden using env variable (GTK2_RC_FILES), defines some styles for GtkScrollbar and GtkScrolledWindow:

Code:
style "kindle-scrollbar"
{
    GtkScrollbar::has-backward-stepper  = 0
    GtkScrollbar::has-forward-stepper   = 0
    GtkScrollbar::slider-width          = 16
    GtkScrollbar::trough-border         = 0

…

style "kindle-scrolled-window"
{
    GtkScrolledWindow::scrollbar-spacing = 2
}

…

class "GtkScrollbar" style "kindle-scrollbar"
class "GtkScrolledWindow" style "kindle-scrolled-window"
I remember I was able to change the look of scrollbars by modifying these styles. Did you try it?

EDIT:
I gave it a try.
Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat gtkrc
style "osmo-scrollbar"
{
       GtkScrollbar::slider-width          = 60
}
class "Gtk*Scrollbar" style "osmo-scrollbar"
[root@kindle root]# GTK2_RC_FILES=gtkrc ./osmo
It resizes scrollbars, but I am not sure it is a good solution. Now I remember I wanted to use it with skipstone, but finally decided it looks bad and takes too much space
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_23T22_36_56+0200.png
Views:	359
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	111946  

Last edited by baf; 09-23-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Edit: gave it a try
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
twobob

will try!!! Thanks dude
Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
twobob

Lightbulb slowly slowly catchee monkey

okay so... some more progress...

laborious but.. getting there.

new improvements:

LATEST VERSION: Now building from SVN revision 937 rather than the older debian code.

QUIT BUTTON. will now display on all toolbars (regardless of preferences)

NATIVE KEYBOARD IN DIALOGS. It's a manual task of identifying every single one that needs one and setting them all up by hand.... The joy. But 1st one now done so... can be done. (and it closes intelligently on dialog closure)

TIME DOES NOT TICK EVERY SECOND. This allow for smoother scrolling in the calendar view and saves on pointless screen updates.

ABOUT SCREEN CLOSE BUTTON. I moved it to the top for those awkward moments when you manage to launch it accidentally with a keyboard up.
(I could have closed the keyboard but that would have meant more end user clicks so...)

Anyway. Thought I would report the progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_09T03_53_25+0000.png
Views:	315
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	113030   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_09T03_53_41+0000.png
Views:	301
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	113031   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_09T03_53_49+0000.png
Views:	297
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	113032   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_10_09T03_54_00+0000.png
Views:	298
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	113033  
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I like it, I like it.
Specially for that 42 day month (4of4).
With that, I might even catch up on things that I want to get done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
Aeris
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ohhh great work! So impatient to try it out! Will you put matchbox keyboard at least in notes?

PS hope that it works like that on paperwhite too

Last edited by Aeris; 10-09-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
twobob

The issue with launching matchbox keyboard is that - quite frankly - it is something else to go wrong. To yoke the keyboard like baf does "-xid" would require rewriting the guts of the apps layout.

But possibly, since the keyboard is now being manually invoked, there could ultimately be a version that invokes "your" version of matchbox keyboard for the notes section as you ask.

Once the app is at completion stage perhaps we could look at it?
Have to check but it does sound doable.

EDIT: Actually.. thinking about it... If I externalise all the calls to invoking the keyboard into a script then that would allow the user to twiddle "after the fact".

(In case that doesn't easily translate, Twiddling after the fact means changing the released setup)

yeah... okay... I'll make it a script... on that.

Last edited by twobob; 10-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Aeris

Oh Twobob, you are so kind!

Don't worry about that, I was just asking! The first priority is only that the program works And above all I would be one of the few people using osmo notes as a true text-editor... That's beacause I've tried leafpad, but the official keyboard is really uncomfortable to me, especially for punctuation... but maybe other peoples find it handy for them.

I'm willing to help as soon as you release the kual extension, at least with bug-reporting (or maybe, if you teach me how to compile your code under my linux distro, I could try to edit the code on my own)

Last edited by Aeris; 10-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
twobob

it's already done.

keyboard invocation is now pushed out to a script.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Aeris

Quote:
it's already done.

keyboard invocation is now pushed out to a script.
Simply the best!!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
twobob

wasted the whole day trying to get spellchecker support working.

Will revisit another day.

Tags
calendar, launcher add-ons, osmo, twobob