Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Are you going to buy the now $79 kindle?

The simplest kindle is now $79, after kindle fire is for sale.

Is the price attractive to you?

Why would you want to buy it?
For gift? For regular use? As a second back up?
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmeal View Post

No. To be honest, they could price it at $10 and I still wouldn't buy it. I don't like proprietary formats limiting my enjoyment of media and Amazon's behavior as a company is pretty jaw-dropping.

Apart from that, this price is brought to you by advertisements. On your books.

I don't care if it's only at certain times or certain products or magic elves intuit when a plot twist is coming and make sure to wait to launch an ad until the next page. There is something pure and unfettered about books. They're so self-contained and so much easier to fully escape into.

I can think of nothing I would want less than to have ads brought into that equation. Ugh. As if we aren't getting hounded by advertisers constantly as it is. You know, I dated a former marketer once. Some of the stuff he could tell me about how and why something was placed as it was, and what gears that was turning in my brain, was frightening. They're literally trying to condition and program your mind.

I just want one place in my life where I can go and be free from marketers trying to manipulate me like Pavlov's dog. Just leave me alone in this one place, when I'm reading, and I won't go postal.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-04-2011 at 09:32 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
No. To be honest, they could price it at $10 and I still wouldn't buy it. I don't like proprietary formats limiting my enjoyment of media and Amazon's behavior as a company is pretty jaw-dropping.

I don't care if it's only at certain times or certain products or magic elves intuit when a plot twist is coming and make sure to wait to launch an ad until the next page. There is something pure and unfettered about books. They're so self-contained and so much easier to fully escape into.

I can think of nothing I would want less than to have ads brought into that equation. Ugh. As if we aren't getting hounded by advertisers constantly all the time as it is.

I just want one place in my life where I can go and be free from marketers trying to manipulate me like Pavlov's dog. Just leave me alone in this one place, when I'm reading, and I won't go postal.
You are incorrect. The advertisements are not in the books. They are in the screensavers and at the bottom of the menu page.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, you are incorrect. There are no ads displayed in the books. You only see them as the "screen saver" when the Kindle is turned off, and on the bottom line of your library screen. Absolutely and categorically NOT in the books. Wherever did you get that strange idea from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
You are incorrect. The advertisements are not in the books. They are in the screensavers and at the bottom of the menu page.
Like I already said in the post, I totally don't care. Keep it off anything having to do with my one escape. Period.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you are incorrect. There are no ads displayed in the books. You only see them as the "screen saver" when the Kindle is turned off, and on the bottom line of your library screen. Absolutely and categorically NOT in the books. Wherever did you get that strange idea from?
And tell me, what do you have to go through in order to get to your books? Sleep mode and the library perhaps?

If you'd read my post more carefully you'd realize this makes no difference to me. Keep it off my escape.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And tell me, what do you have to go through in order to get to your books? Sleep mode and the library perhaps?
If you're reading a book, you turn the Kindle off (or let it go to sleep on its own) and the screensaver appears. Turn it on again, and you're back in your book. You will NEVER see the ads while you are reading.

But of course Amazon give you the choice of buying a Kindle without the ads if you want one. You get a $30 discount for the ads. It's your choice. Even at $109 for the version without the ads, it's a great reader.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
If you're reading a book, you turn the Kindle off (or let it go to sleep on its own) and the screensaver appears. Turn it on again, and you're back in your book. You will NEVER see the ads while you are reading.

But of course Amazon give you the choice of buying a Kindle without the ads if you want one. You get a $30 discount for the ads. It's your choice. Even at $109 for the version without the ads, it's a great reader.
But of course you know full and well that a lot of people idle in sleep mode more often than not to save boot-up time. And eventually you'll have to go to a new book.

So yes, you will see ads. Unless you turn it completely off every time, and just continue reading the same book over and over.

If it's no big deal as far as you're concerned, then why are you trying to say that you'll "never" see ads? If it's no big deal why does it matter if you see them or not?

1. It matters to me. I think I've had to say this to you before but I'll try again - you don't decide what matters to other people, they do. This post asked individuals what THEY think of the deal personally.

2. It is overtly disingenuous to pretend a user will "never" see ads. Of course they will. If Amazon was not resting reasonably well-assured of that, why would they flush $30 on every sale?

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
2. It is overtly disingenuous to pretend a user will "never" see ads. You know they will.
No, that's not what I said. You made the claim in your original post that:

Quote:
this price is brought to you by advertisements. On your books.
That's just plain wrong. There are no advertisements on your books.

I did not say that a user will never see ads; I said that they will never see ads while they are reading.

Of course, if ads bother you, you'd be best advised not to buy an ad-supported device. And you have the free choice to do that. (Unlike me.)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
No, that's not what I said. You made the claim in your original post that:

That's just plain wrong. There are no advertisements on your books.

I did not say that a user will never see ads; I said that they will never see ads while they are reading.

Of course, if ads bother you, you'd be best advised not to buy an ad-supported device. And you have the free choice to do that. (Unlike me.)
And I explained to you why that is not true for many users. Do you idle your reader in sleep mode? I do. Seems like almost everyone does - it's more convenient. Kindle knows this. That's why they put it there. Ever plan on reading another book? Ads. And ads while you're trying to decide what media to consume, so what better place to try to influence you to spend more money on something else? Kindle knows this. That's why they put it there. Seriously, marketers study psychology more than actual psychologists do.

Of course. Which is why I won't. But I'm confused by "unlike me...?"

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Of course. Which is why I won't. But I'm confused by "unlike me...?"
The special offers models are only sold in the US, so I couldn't buy one, even if I wanted to .
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict

Quote:
The special offers models are only sold in the US, so I couldn't buy one, even if I wanted to .
Man, there's a solar-powered e-reader only available in Japan. I was in a bit of a huff about that. Why can't they sell everything everywhere?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmeal View Post

If I did not already have a Kindle or other e-reader, this would be a very attractive option. The price is amazing!

I would buy it as a gift if I hadn't already given away 2 e-readers to the adult book readers in my family.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
It'll be the $109 one for me since I'm in Australia, but yeah, I plan on buying one in the next couple months. Unless something drastic changes as more people get the K4 NT and I decide to buy a K3 instead, but I really do not want a keyboard so I doubt I'll change my mind.

I would have loved to have got a reader that supported epub, mobi, pdf, html, doc, rtf and txt natively but the only reader like that is the Pocketbook series and they are out of my price range. The Kobo is supposed to but I've read over in that forum that it does a crap job of reading mobi.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've already bought one. It will be here tomorrow. Although my excitement has wane a bit with all the changes and the worry about the new Screen being as good as my K3.

I bought mine for the size and weight changes and lack of keyboard.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote