Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
8000 books is a total number of all formats correct?
Does it mean it is safe to assume there are about 2000 titles?
it's safe to assume there are fewer than 8000 distinct titles, but more than 2000, because many are not available in all formats.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
If it was 8k distinct titles, MR would be challenging PG in the near future for total books. But it is still nothing to scoff at.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it's safe to assume there are fewer than 8000 distinct titles, but more than 2000, because many are not available in all formats.
Well, it could be less than 2000 if every book were available in mobi, lrf, lit, imp, html, pdf, epub... There are also a few duplicated books (different formatting, illustrated or not...). But I'd say it's more than 2000 anyway.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow, thanks for all of the hard work everyone!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I think there's a credit race going on between 3-5 users on the top.
They press e-text files through a program,that outputs in all formats (mobi, LRF, lit, prc,...).

Though my concern is that many books that are been automatically formatted, usually also have lousy formatting.
This is absolutely not true and I am deeply offended by this statement.

Don (Dr.Drib), Patricia, Crutledge, nrapallo and Harry T are my friends (and I do not count that many in this community yet) All of our books are handmade and with great love for those books. We make books in multiple formats, that's true. But we do that because YOU people want and use different formats.

As I see it, there is not one of our books that is "lousy" formatted (gr!!). Nobody that I know is doing this for any "credits", that is absolutely sure and certain (perhaps YOU should check your motivation). There is no gain in this, neither financially nor is there any fame to be gained. If there really is a problem with us posting in multiple formats or too many books, there may be a simple solution for that, at least for me.

Whenever I have a book to upload, I check if this has been uploaded before. If it has been uploaded and mine does not have a real plus value, I won't post it in that format. Basta. And most of my "colleagues" do the same.

PS: If you download a book with "lousy" formatting, just delete it, it hasn't costed you anything at all. Make a new, better version.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-11-2009 at 09:56 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I don't know about others, but my gut feelings tell me that Patricia is very diligent/good quality ebooks producer.

P.S. I have not read a single book from the forum so far.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #22
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Mtravellerh's frenzy, mainly
Thanks. I take that as a compliment.

I Do want to explain why I have that frenzy as some seem to misunderstand my motivation: First, I love books. Second, there were and there are not a lot of books in French or German here. I like to make people happy and I like to make books.

As, for reasons I don't want to insist on, it is quite impossible for me to be outside for a longer period of time and I have to live in controlled conditions, I do have lots of time on my hands. So I make books.

As these books are mostly nicely formatted to begin with (Athelstane for instance) creating those books is a rather straightforward thing that does not take too much time. As furthermore, I prefer my books to have a nice but not too fancy interface and ravenne is creating fantastic covers in a flash, making a few books a day is not a big thing.

I do not want to be in any Top Ten posters or anything the like and I wish those charts wouldn't be there. I was, in fact, made aware of their presence a few days ago.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
All the books I have read from this forum have been very well formatted.

I am in the process of deleting the ones that came with my Sony to replace them with ones from here because of that.

I also know that people do go back to the books they've uploaded and re-upload them if they've improved the formatting, which to me suggests care and pride in what they're doing.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Of which RWood's ebook contributions (if you haven't already noticed) are a HUGE reason MobileRead.com is THE place for free nicely-formatted ebooks.

About six months ago, I posted MobileRead-Top 100 ebook downloads by format-June2008 and RWood's .prc/.lrf ebooks contributions, collectively, have been downloaded Tens of Thousands of times.

Kudos to RWood as well!
Thank you Nick. For those that do not know, Nick has translated and posted most (all?) of the REB 1200 IMP books available including many books that I originally produced in other formats.

I am saddened to see that at least one of the members thinks there is a race b etween the top posters. Speaking as one of them, that is completely wrong. If it were true you would see only mechanical translations like ManyBooks provides with no human intervention, short stories would be extracted from collections and posted on their own to increase the post count, and no one would waste the time to create custom covers for the books.

Most books are available in one to three formats only. The rest of the formats are, at the moment, experimental. We have tested the water to see if there is any demand for that format. Some like FB2, RB, and Psion have garnered no interest. Others like ePub have attracted a growing following.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Most books are available in one to three formats only. The rest of the formats are, at the moment, experimental. We have tested the water to see if there is any demand for that format. Some like FB2, RB, and Psion have garnered no interest. Others like ePub have attracted a growing following.
Go, epub! But seriously, I like that format very much and it is very promising. I humbly propose that we should create an epub section.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Go, epub! But seriously, I like that format very much and it is very promising. I humbly propose that we should create an epub section.
it should be coming very soon.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #27
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it should be coming very soon.
And a testament to that is that I've starting working on an ePub2IMP conversion utilty, much along the same lines as my Mobi2IMP (it will have the same look and feel).

However, whatever I may produce (and finally release) will be short lived as the next release of eBook Publisher (the software from eBooktechnologies.com that facilitates the actual creation of the .imp format) WILL support the loading and saving of .epub ebooks. I just don't know WHEN they will be releasing it.

I have already MANUALLY been able to convert your (calibre produced) .epub ebooks to .imp as well as those finely hand-crafted .epub's by Jellby. There are a few incompatiblities that I'm trying to iron out (on the .imp making side) and will post my findings soon to the EPUB forum.

Personally speaking, I think .epub is here to stay, but the tools that make/support it will evolve into better quality ones as time goes on.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What would be cool, and perhaps Alex is already working on something, would be rather than having to upload each title/format as a separate "book" there would be a way to add a format to a title (sort of like calibre does) so that we could have a total "title count" and also a total book count.

It might make searching/navigating the ebook section a bit easier too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What would be cool, and perhaps Alex is already working on something, would be rather than having to upload each title/format as a separate "book" there would be a way to add a format to a title (sort of like calibre does) so that we could have a total "title count" and also a total book count.

It might make searching/navigating the ebook section a bit easier too.

BOb
Awesome idea, Bob. So people would stop pestering about my multiple format postings.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
P.S. I have not read a single book from the forum so far.
(shudder) Oh, the humanity of it all!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote