Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #106
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Harry knows his stuff. He can be gruff and ornery... but he is smart......
Well, yeah, why do you think he has a Dalek as his avatar!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #107
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
I was about to request a refund and order a kindle 2 refurb, but they already sent it back, so I guess it was a signal not to go to the dark side
Dear SD:

I actually think the fates smiled on you!! Eventually you are going to love that Pocket PRO and its formats and its replaceable battery and that SD card slot.

Maybe, just maybe, someone was smiling down upon you. I still think you will later become a most ardent fan!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #108
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Battery News from Jinke

So, I posted on the Jinke web site. Here was my original post:
==================
Can you tell me the battery model for the V5? I know that on the V3 you indicated a specific Nokia battery that could be used to replace it.

Can you tell me what battery can be used as a replacement battery on the V5?

Thanks
=================
And the response:
=================
Hi,emellaich
There is not any type of replacement on battery of V5 now.
=================

The response was from "Alan" who appears from other responses to be a Jinke employee. I'm sure that there still may be others from Jinke who can weigh in. This doesn't appear to be a definitive company policy statement. However, I would guess that it is currently not available.

I find Alan/Jinke to be quite responsive and helpful. However, in order to get a replacement battery beyond the standard the issue would probably need to be elevated to Jinke management. I suspect it would take emphasis from someone at Astak to elevate this issue.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #109
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Dear SD:

I actually think the fates smiled on you!! Eventually you are going to love that Pocket PRO and its formats and its replaceable battery and that SD card slot.

Maybe, just maybe, someone was smiling down upon you. I still think you will later become a most ardent fan!
Robert, I'd let that battery thing go.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #110
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post

Probably good advice as there have been constant questions and no forthcoming answer.
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #111
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
So, I posted on the Jinke web site. Here was my original post:
==================
Can you tell me the battery model for the V5? I know that on the V3 you indicated a specific Nokia battery that could be used to replace it.

Can you tell me what battery can be used as a replacement battery on the V5?

Thanks
=================
And the response:
=================
Hi,emellaich
There is not any type of replacement on battery of V5 now.
=================

The response was from "Alan" who appears from other responses to be a Jinke employee. I'm sure that there still may be others from Jinke who can weigh in. This doesn't appear to be a definitive company policy statement. However, I would guess that it is currently not available.

I find Alan/Jinke to be quite responsive and helpful. However, in order to get a replacement battery beyond the standard the issue would probably need to be elevated to Jinke management. I suspect it would take emphasis from someone at Astak to elevate this issue.
At least he gave you a smiley face. O_o
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #112
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Ditto. It's not looking too good at the moment, is it?

Sad considering that the replaceable battery was definitely one of the features that led me to the PPro. I've just had too many batteries go bad over the years. (Most recently, the battery in my wife's cell phone seems to have lost more than half of its capacity to hold a charge in only about 6 or 7 months of use!)

I know that Robertb has a small stock of extra batteries that Astak will sell us but that sounded like a very welcome but ad hoc solution based more on the factory shipping some extras along than a permanent commitment to stock them.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #113
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Dear SD:

hhmm, I am not so sure I can become yet a happy customer when I had to pay for shipping it back to Astak when probably 90% of the people (or more) that returned it didn't have to pay for shipping.... I had a working unit only for handful of days before I had to send it back.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #114
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
agreed. It was one of the things that most people were looking forward to but it seems to not be as easily obtainable as we were led to think
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #115
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
hhmm, I am not so sure I can become yet a happy customer when I had to pay for shipping it back to Astak when probably 90% of the people (or more) that returned it didn't have to pay for shipping.... I had a working unit only for handful of days before I had to send it back.
1. I think you deserve a refund. As do you I assume. You got a bum system and that is as much your fault as the people with the bum paint job.

2. I wouldn't be annoyed with the battery issue if they were on the website. I never knew about the talk of using something like a nokia battery or whatever. If Astak ever did say such a thing, that needs to be redacted in light of the current situation.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #116
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
agreed. It was one of the things that most people were looking forward to but it seems to not be as easily obtainable as we were led to think
Not yet. Recall when the iPod first came out with people screaming about not being able to get a replacement battery unless you ship it back to Apple? Now you can't go to any online battery shop without running into iPod batteries. I think give a little time and there will be 3rd party compatible batteries for the PP. It is a shame Jinke didn't stick with the Nokia batteries....oh well such is life.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 AM   #117
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
1. I think you deserve a refund. As do you I assume. You got a bum system and that is as much your fault as the people with the bum paint job.

2. I wouldn't be annoyed with the battery issue if they were on the website. I never knew about the talk of using something like a nokia battery or whatever. If Astak ever did say such a thing, that needs to be redacted in light of the current situation.

agreed on #1 and agreed on #2, but Robert did advertise it quite a bit, which drew a lot of attention
Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #118
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Not yet. Recall when the iPod first came out with people screaming about not being able to get a replacement battery unless you ship it back to Apple? Now you can't go to any online battery shop without running into iPod batteries. I think give a little time and there will be 3rd party compatible batteries for the PP. It is a shame Jinke didn't stick with the Nokia batteries....oh well such is life.
well, I have some doubts ( some is an understatement ) that the astak reader won't be as popular as the ipod, so don't expect many 3rd party accessories for the astak reader (if any).
Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #119
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
I'm hoping that with all of the various clones out there (original V5, Bebook Mini) someone decides that it's worth to sell replacement batteries at some point, even if it's just on eBay!

I don't mind buying them through Astak, as long as they keep the price reasonable.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #120
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post

I don't mind buying them through Astak, as long as they keep the price reasonable.
Just having them available is a plus.