Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these two books should we read for August?
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 20 55.56%
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Here it is:

"Imagine the scene," Don Anacleto concluded to everyone's dismay.
Thank you. The eBook reads...

Imagine the scene,”D on A nacleto concluded to everyone’s dismay.

Google books is using the eBook version as it has the same error. So it can be useless at times for correcting errors like these.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-29-2012 at 09:41 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been noticing that The Shadow of the Wind has some rather stupid errors like the one I posted about earlier in this thread. I've noticed that in some places where we have a large letter to start off a new chapter and there is supposed to be a quote in front of the letter, the quote has gone missing. This looks like a combination of OCR errors and stupid human errors.

If I didn't get this for free from the library, I'd be asking for my money back.
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've started The Shadow of the Wind and found a number of run-on italics such as...

ofThe Shadow of the Wind.

I've since gone into the code and fixed this. Given the errors I've so far found, I'd have to say that this was a PDF source used to make the ePub and probably Kindle version too.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

While The Shadow of the Wind is not bad, it's slow going. The story creeps along in spots. I am 196 pages in of 462. It's not a book one reads in one sitting or reads and then looks up to realize how much is read. It's not bad, not great.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #35
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
It's a very slow read for me, but that's not a bad thing for me. I enjoy reading it and the way things are around me right now I actually appreciate that it's a book I can read a few pages and then put it down and come back to the next day.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was hoping it would be a book I can really get into and have read by now. But as it is, it's a bit too slow in parts. It's the kind of book you pick up, read, get into it, get taken out of it and put it down.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #37
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm wondering...does it count towards my challenge (6 book club choices this year) if I've already read it?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
File under: premonition reading?

I'm on page 257 now. I should be close to, if not, finished when the discussion starts.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
File under: premonition reading?

I'm on page 257 now. I should be close to, if not, finished when the discussion starts.
462-257 = 205

Just a tad over half done I see.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
462-257 = 205

Just a tad over half done I see.
Now that's just mean . The man was thinking he was well on his way to finishing, only for you to dash his hopes.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am fully aware of how far I have to go. I only started on Sunday. My copy is actually 487 pages, putting me around 52.77%. It also means I'm averaging about 70 pages a day. I should be around page 400 by the start of Saturday and easily pulling into the finish line by my Monday morning busride.

Of course, I could be mistaken in my understanding that the 20th is when the discussion starts.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Of course, I could be mistaken in my understanding that the 20th is when the discussion starts.
You are not mistaken.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

And I am up to page 296.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've finished page 200 earlier today. I just cannot bring myself to keep going at the moment. This is not a book that is easy to get in the right frame of mind to read.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #45
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I finished. Ahead of schedule. Woohoo!