Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
cheesypea
cheesypea began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen 3
Unhappy Cybook SD slot not working?

Hey everybody,
I bought a Cybook g3 on ebay and I thought I got a good bargain as it included two leather covers (red and camel) as well as the charger and 1GB SD card.

However, it seems there is a problem with the SD card slot.
The SD card had no books or anything on it when I got it (though the previous user had apparently used it with the Cybook because there were loads of those .tb2, or whatever, files) so I formatted the card then stuck it into the device.
When I booted up the Cybook the library showed the three documents that were on the internal memory (The user manual, dictionary and a sheet-music PDF).

I then decided to update the firmware before putting any books on (being the obsessive perfectionist that I am) it was at revision 1.1.
So I downloaded revision 1.2 from the cybook website, read the "read me" and followed the instructions (pressed the center button when it was booting-up) but I got no flash on the boot screen to indicate that the update was underway. It entered into the library normally and after checking in the menu (advanced>about) it was still at revision 1.1.
I tried this a few more times, pressing the enter/center button at different times etc., to no avail.
I then got a different blank SD card and tried that with similar (lack of) results.

So I gave up on updating the firmware for the moment and tried putting books on.

I should mention that in order to get the update_kernel file onto the SD card I had to use the card-reader (in the drive bay) of my PC because when I plugged the Cybook in via usb I couldnt access the SD card that was in the slot of the Cybook (the computer actually hanged/froze when I clicked on the icon in "my computer" for the card).

So I put the SD card back into the card-reader in my PC; first I tried dragging and dropping a PDF into it, then ejecting the card from the PC and putting it back into the cybook. When I got to the library in the cybook there was no sign of the PDF.
After that I tried the same using a .prc file, also without success.
Then I tried using "mobipocket reader" to put the same .prc onto it (I went to "device settings", or whatever, in mobipocket reader and selected "card" for it to transfer files to the card and not the internal memory) but I was informed by "mobipocket reader" that "no memory card" was found on this device". I tried the other SD card as well with no joy.

So in summation; if I put the SD card into my PC card-reader and then put books on it they do not show in the Cybook library, if I try to access the SD card when it is in the Cybook slot and the Cybook is hooked up via usb to my PC I cannot and if I try to put books on using "mobipocket reader" it tells me there is no card in the Cybook (there obviously is)

My conclusion is that the SD slot is broke but the previous owner had no such problems (at least thats what they told me) and I can't see how it could have got damaged in transit because it was really well wrapped up (bubble wrap, styrofoam, two carboard boxes)...

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I am really disheartened and I don't want to use the internal memory, I just want it to work with the SD card or not at all (being the obsessive perfectionist that I am).

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some

Thanks.

Last edited by cheesypea; 05-22-2009 at 06:39 PM.
cheesypea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesypea View Post
Hey everybody,
I bought a Cybook g3 on ebay and I thought I got a good bargain as it included two leather covers (red and camel) as well as the charger and 1GB SD card.

However, it seems there is a problem with the SD card slot.
The SD card had no books or anything on it when I got it (though the previous user had apparently used it with the Cybook because there were loads of those .tb2, or whatever, files) so I formatted the card then stuck it into the device.
When I booted up the Cybook the library showed the three documents that were on the internal memory (The user manual, dictionary and a sheet-music PDF).

I then decided to update the firmware before putting any books on (being the obsessive perfectionist that I am) it was at revision 1.1.
So I downloaded revision 1.2 from the cybook website, read the "read me" and followed the instructions (pressed the center button when it was booting-up) but I got no flash on the boot screen to indicate that the update was underway. It entered into the library normally and after checking in the menu (advanced>about) it was still at revision 1.1.
I tried this a few more times, pressing the enter/center button at different times etc., to no avail.
I then got a different blank SD card and tried that with similar (lack of) results.

So I gave up on updating the firmware for the moment and tried putting books on.

I should mention that in order to get the update_kernel file onto the SD card I had to use the card-reader (in the drive bay) of my PC because when I plugged the Cybook in via usb I couldnt access the SD card that was in the slot of the Cybook (the computer actually hanged/froze when I clicked on the icon in "my computer" for the card).

So I put the SD card back into the card-reader in my PC; first I tried dragging and dropping a PDF into it, then ejecting the card from the PC and putting it back into the cybook. When I got to the library in the cybook there was no sign of the PDF.
After that I tried the same using a .prc file, also without success.
Then I tried using "mobipocket reader" to put the same .prc onto it (I went to "device settings", or whatever, in mobipocket reader and selected "card" for it to transfer files to the card and not the internal memory) but I was informed by "mobipocket reader" that "no memory card" was found on this device". I tried the other SD card as well with no joy.

So in summation; if I put the SD card into my PC card-reader and then put books on it they do not show in the Cybook library, if I try to access the SD card when it is in the Cybook slot and the Cybook is hooked up via usb to my PC I cannot and if I try to put books on using "mobipocket reader" it tells me there is no card in the Cybook (there obviously is)

My conclusion is that the SD slot is broke but the previous owner had no such problems (at least thats what they told me) and I can't see how it could have got damaged in transit because it was really well wrapped up (bubble wrap, styrofoam, two carboard boxes)...

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I am really disheartened and I don't want to use the internal memory, I just want it to work with the SD card or not at all (being the obsessive perfectionist that I am).

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some

Thanks.
Yep. These SD card slots 'can' be broken. Best (pretty much only) solution for it is to contact Bookeen and ask to get a return authorization number and send it in for repair. IIRC, repairing the SD card slot cost is cheaper than that for repairing the display. And given the slowness of response, I'd start sending the email request today so that it will be in their email box by Monday.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
cheesypea

Thanks for the reply, not the one I was hoping for
Maybe I'll just use the internal memory then, I don't have the patience to send it off for repair.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I hadn't realised you'd opened up more than one thread - confusing poor old me.....

Cheesypea Welcome to MR....Feel free to search around, there's plenty here in the Cybook section, and also the Wiki pages - need any help just ask - we're a friendly helpful bunch here.....

Is the SD card in the 'correct' way? Check by looking in the slot for the contacts - there appears no consistency in whether it facing the front or back of the unit - and are they 'clean'.

I usually find that connecting my Cy with a long USB cable to my PC results in it not being recognised, perhaps you would be 'better' served with a short cable.

With the firmware upgrade, keep your finger on the button for a while - not the 'few seconds' indicated by the instructions. It does take 10-20-30 seconds before it reacts.

I've had too many problems with SD cards, that I no longer use one, and just have my books on the internal storage - it's big enough! (doesn't help with firmware upgrade, though).

Rumour has it that a future firmware procedure hopes to bypass the need for an SD card....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Don't know if it's even possible to do this (without harm to the SD card and CyBook), but there are 2 different models:

- The older one has the SD card to be put in with the contacts show to the front side/display.

- With newer models it's the other way round (the way one normally would try to put the card in).

BTW: Has anyone ever tried to put a card in the wrong way?!

You can find more HERE
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Don't know if it's even possible to do this (without harm to the SD card and CyBook), but there are 2 different models:

- The older one has the SD card to be put in with the contacts show to the front side/display.

- With newer models it's the other way round (the way one normally would try to put the card in).

You can find more HERE

there is nothing on mine that prevents it locking into place.....
Old 05-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
cheesypea

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote:
I hadn't realised you'd opened up more than one thread - confusing poor old me.....
Ya... sorry about that. I posted first in the troubleshooting sub-forum but then I saw that there were posts in the main Cybook forum about screens and stuff breaking. So I wasn't sure which was the right forum for my problem. That and I was just impatient to get a reply

Quote:
Is the SD card in the 'correct' way? Check by looking in the slot for the contacts - there appears no consistency in whether it facing the front or back of the unit - and are they 'clean'.
They definitely are in the right way around (when the Cybook was delivered to me the previous owner had put the SD card into the slot the right way, so I couldn't go wrong there, or so you would think...). They are 'clean', if by that you mean free of dust and other dirt.

The SD card never was recognized by the PC when it was in the Cybook slot and the Cybook was plugged in via USB, however I seem to remember that when I first turned it on the "SD" icon was visible in the bottom right of the library screen on the Cybook.

Quote:
Yes. I did.
When I was trying to update the firmware and using two cards and losing my temper. It went in without any resistance but not all the way down. It stuck fast in the slot with the little "lip" bit that you stick your nail into still sticking up.
Then I had to use a fork to get it out .
I didnt actually stick the fork into the slot, I just used it to get a purchase on the "lip" of the card that was still sticking out.

Anyway, since that the "SD" icon is no longer present in the bottom right corner of the library screen (if it ever was. I'm not even sure. I may have just read about it on this forum or whatever and then created a false memory, as you do)
But the fact is the cards weren't working before that anyway so... not my fault .
Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I had a faulty SD card drive too (from day one). Just didn't work at all! Tryed pretty much everything (Bookeen was very helpfull here. Really. But it seemed to be an helpless problem...).

(It is hard to believe that the guy who sold it to you didn't know about it...)

I had to return the device to Bookeen too. Received a new one in a couple of weeks and everything went smoth ever since!

PS - Please be carefull to insert the SD card as indicated in the device!! Bookeen told me many problems regarding faulty drives were caused by wrong insertions...
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
cheesypea

OK, I maybe I should start a new thread for this but; the cybook is not working at all now.

I had decided to do without the SD and just use the internal memory.
So I put a few .prc books on and it was working fine for a day, I actually spent a few hours last Saturday reading on it and I quite enjoyed it.
Since Sunday however when I turn it on it freezes on the boot screen. If I try pressing the reset button the screen just kind of displays "static" (except it's not static obviously), just like black background with loads of white dots and lines.

I removed the SD card because I thought that might be the cause of the problem (I only left in to stop dust getting into the slot). I got through to the library but it froze there and once I reset it again it just went back to the "static"

How do I contact Bookeen about this?, there are no contact details or any mention of repair on their website.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesypea View Post
OK, I maybe I should start a new thread for this but; the cybook is not working at all now.

I had decided to do without the SD and just use the internal memory.
So I put a few .prc books on and it was working fine for a day, I actually spent a few hours last Saturday reading on it and I quite enjoyed it.
Since Sunday however when I turn it on it freezes on the boot screen. If I try pressing the reset button the screen just kind of displays "static" (except it's not static obviously), just like black background with loads of white dots and lines.

I removed the SD card because I thought that might be the cause of the problem (I only left in to stop dust getting into the slot). I got through to the library but it froze there and once I reset it again it just went back to the "static"

How do I contact Bookeen about this?, there are no contact details or any mention of repair on their website.
support@bookeen.com Be sure to take some picturs of the screen to send with the email.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Where are you for the charging ? Mine had the same issue (same bizarre screen, and freeze) and I needed to plug it and keep it for a quite while (some hours) before unplug it, and reset.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
cheesypea

Thanks Idoine I have actually just found this out myself.
I was just in the process of typing the email to Bookeen and taking the pictures of the screen when I decided to try charging it with the mains (wall socket) adapter. Initially nothing happened but then when I press the power button it started up normally and went into the library.
So it's working now, hopefully it will continue to work .
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What file system does the Gen3 need the SD card to be and what file system was the SD card reformatted with?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Some of you are able to put the SD card in the wrong way? I just tried with mine (a 400Mhz model) and it's impossible to put the SD card the wrong way without apply too much force.. Maybe the older model had a faulty SD slot?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What file system does the Gen3 need the SD card to be and what file system was the SD card reformatted with?

FAT32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Some of you are able to put the SD card in the wrong way? I just tried with mine (a 400Mhz model) and it's impossible to put the SD card the wrong way without apply too much force.. Maybe the older model had a faulty SD slot?
Yep, it is possible, and was a common mistake in my earlier days .....